1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD's AM2: Athlon 64 FX-62 and X2 5000+

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 23 May 2006.

1. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Personally i cant understand why the majority of you guys who are allready on 939 would want a small change? personally this is fantastic news for me and others who stuck to the good old Socket A(long live Skt A!!). Todays release shows AMD are still have what it takes to stick it to Intel, Also not only that i love the idea of the whole lineup is being catered for.

I love the idea of having a AM2 Sempron or single core A64 then upgrade to a beefy X2 cpu when i get more money!.The 754/939 difference was too great and costly to jump ships to the then newer socket of choice 939.

I think what i personally would want to see is the memory prices being lowered rather quickly, i want lots of ram at fast speeds with minimal cost....i hope this new gen of mem will do the trick.

I will wait for Conroe but as they say it aint over till the fat lady sings!.

2. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

Im a little disapointed. The guys over at XtremeSystems found a cold bug in the fx-62 at -40C. I was hoping that amd would have fixed that.

Its going to be hard to decided what chip to upgrade to this summer....

3. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

seems to me that it's exactly the same only with ddr2. I'm gonna buya a 3800x2 when prices drop then in about a year I'll upgrade the whole system. I dont think it's worth the switch just yet. Maybe after some development time.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

i wanna see OC results :(

5. morbo

morbo What's a Dremel?

no virtualization for 939 then eh?

So end of life for 939 implies that we(current 939 users) won't get any more
    goodies like virtualization unless we switch to AM2. Dual core of course is
    available with FX-60 939.

I suppose they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they back fill missing features in
    earlier designs. Better for them to foster complete upgrades than tuneups.

H.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

So far, for me(I feel all dirty if I don't overclock) the conroe looks like better value for money. Aparently good DDR ram can be very expensive, but then, AM2 uses DDR2 doesn't it, so the fact that Intels chips are performing better then AMD's chips that cost £400 more, well, Intel swings it.

edit: Also, it's bloody typical. Prices for skt 939 gear will I presume drop in a few weeks. Which is a few weeks after I have to buy a brand new mobo. Trust a huge company to make me miss price drops by a matter of weeks :(

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Better than I expected tbh. Some of those times are up there with the overclocked Yonah. I was expecting AM2 to be a complete waste of time, but as it turns out, just a partial waste of time. Oh well... roll on Conroe.

The multiplier issue never occured to me, but that could be a pain in the ass if you don't want to overclock.... not that anyone on here wouldn't.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

AM2 comes this month, 939 will be gone by Q3 IMO :)

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

Sorry, there simply wasn't time, but we will cover overclocking in the motherboard reviews over the next week or so. :)

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

There was no information made public about Opterons on AM2 - it is not that there aren't any plans, AMD just hasn't disclosed anything yet.

11. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Bigglesworth, did you get to play arround with any of the new 35w cpu's?

12. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I would think the bulk of the 939 price drops have already happened - the retailers will have spent the last few months trying to offload it because they knew this was coming and While there might be more yet, its just as likely that prices start rising before long, as people seeking upgrades fight over what supply is left (as has been the case in numerous technologies before)

I was left with a warm glow over my current setup to be honest, £215 cpu, £250 water cooling (which also cools the GPU, quietens the PC in general and is just all-round lovely) which should be performing up there with the £600-700 chips.

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

Not yet, but I hope to soon.

14. Kasrkin Guard

Kasrkin Guard What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty mixed as of now to go AM2 or stick to Socket 939. I suppose it would extend the life of upgrading in the future going AM2, but my thought on that is it is the first revision, so I may aswell wait it out slightly longer, but I'm looking forward to see the results on the new nForce boards soon. :D

Last edited: 24 May 2006
  15. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Anyone know what CPU coolers ARE compatible then? As nowhere seems to be stocking AM2 specific coolers...

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

Anything that uses the old lug system without the need for the clip on the edge of the old retention system will work. If you're screwing to the mobo, you will need to wait for AM2 revisions or an AM2 mounting kit.

17. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

So would the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 be suitable?

You must have used the Retail HSF when testing - what do you think of it?

18. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

qft
    k8l on 65nm should be interesting though :D

should that be memory prices?

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yes, it should fit fine, as it uses a lug system without a clip.

It seemed alright, it's very similar to the older heatsink with a single clip rather than three clips. :)

20. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

This is the best news I could get.

I have been holding off buying a new CPU for a while, and I can now either go with a new cpu, or have the price drop on the s939s.

Tags: Add Tags