1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD's revenue decimated by poor demand

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Oct 2012.

1. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I think part of the problem is that PC technology has evolved to the point that upgrades don't really seem necissary for your average home/office user anymore. The other 2 computers in my house that are heavily used are both 45nm core2duo's @ 3.0-3.5Ghz (OC'd, just because I can) and I have no intention of replacing them anytime soon.

The only saving grace is that SSD's still arn't standard kit in your average dell/lenovo/acer PC.

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

3. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

The problem? AMD made a server CPU then put that CPU in laptops. Strategy fail.

4. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

AMD need to work on an arm alternative with their GPU bolted on. It would be a more effective way until software catches up with APU's on x86. How many things have came out since quick sync for intel for example? Do a Nvidia and take the bull by the horns and design your own products or use arm to enhance processor design and focus on the area your good at, graphics.

6. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If AMD dosen't get something worthwhile in the CPU side soon, they will end up like VIA. The only thing saving AMD is the graphics division at this point. They were defineatly wise to have bought ATI, otherwise who knows how bad off they would be right now.
    AMD can compete at the low end against Atom, but after that it's no contest. Lets be honest here. For those that integrated graphics are good enough, the HD3000/4000 graphics are good enough, but with a much faster and more effiecient cpu that is less power hungry and cooler running. AMD has also failed on pricing too, with not enough margin of lower cost compared to intel to sway the buyer in the mid range. In the top range they have already given up even trying to compete against intel at all.

8. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

hang on, did I just read that right; the EU have started the ball rolling on legislation to cap GPU performance? It looked to me like "if your GPU is above this bandwidth, you can't sell it" and this limit is only slightly higher than current cards?

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I didn't come for the article but whether or not 'decimated' was used correctly.

10. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

yes, you did read that right.

11. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Global crysis!

12. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I don't like hearing about bad things happening to AMD. Because without them, we are screwed. Imagine how much Intel CPU's and nVidia graphics cards will cost if they had no competition.

:eeek:

13. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

read the linked article i linked to and both intel and nvidia are both cursing as much as AMD is.

14. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

i may be an intel/nvidia follower, but i agree. amd is good for a least one thing to me: keeping the giants prices down.

15. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Not good news. Always been a a red card fan

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

16. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

maybe the investors are positive cos they know amd chips are in xbox720 and or ps4 as the rumors would tell us.... food for thought. so they will get their money

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Are those designs not sold for a one off payment meaning AMD doesn't get a continuous revenue stream?

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

AMD should invest in Intel shares - they'd probably get a higher return that way. :D

19. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Poor CPU's = poor demand. Simples.

20. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Where are all the ITX boards for these?
    ITX motherboard with MSATA = very compact & capable system. 150W is near the peak of what the bricks for pico-PSUs can supply but it is possible.

I thought that was the point of APUs but mainly I see ATX & MATX boards. :sigh: