1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Anno/City type games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cool_dude, 7 Jun 2012.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Topic 4 is fun - a little shallow, don't play sandbox...the varying missions are the key.

Simcity 4 has loads of potential, but is just too buggy and frustrating.

Settlers 2 was awesome, didn't know they re-did the graphics, I'll give this a look.

Startopia is my pick of the bunch! Hillarious and great fun! But more like theme hospital than a proper city builder...

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

STARTOPIA!! I loved that game when I was younger. Some seriously long hours put into that game. Totally agree with MiNiMaL_FuSS, hilarious and tonnes of fun. Little bit repetitive if you get stuck on one of the levels. (Like I did. Had to start a war with the neighbouring population and I couldn't for the life of me do it lol).

Sad though, because I think I traded it in last week :(

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Anyone know the name of that space game where you had to build a moon colony station thing? Was kind of similar to Startopia where you had rooms that met different needs, etc.

4. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

It's quite easy to er...download...these days.

Just play Startopia! It's better!

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Moon Tycoon ;) Another awesomely fun game!

6. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

Some people seem to like Cities XL which I think is similar to the SimCity games. Also I heard about a game called Train Giant 9, I think it's mostly just building railways but they go from town to town and you can start businesses in the towns and do all kinds of economic stuff.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Cities XL 2012 is 75% off on Steam if you're prepared to take a punt on it.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i just got simcity 4, holy **** i didn't realize how much had changed since SC2000, i gotta re-learn everything :/

9. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Yep - but a real ****er to get running on Windows 7 :wallbash: It took days to get right!

10. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Major bump! Played tropico 4 and enjoyed it very much.

Now moving onto Sim City 2013 - out next month... trailers look pretty cool.

Wondering if its worth trying Sim City 4? From Youtube vids it looks a bit.... old?

11. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Played the Tropico 4 demo off steam a few times over the last 6 months. Every time I go back, its cause I'm looking for an Anno type game. By the time I finish the demo, I can't stand the game a second longer.

No idea why!?

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'd give SimCity 4 a miss simply due to the fact it doesn't run properly on modern computers. I've tried both my disc copy and a Steam version, and both will only run with software rendering (ewww) without crashing, but the renderer causes all kinds of funny glitches that, for me, ruin the game.

Stick it out to March and get the new one.

13. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

It has similarities to SimCity but plays a fair bit differently.
    A major thing to remember with Cities XL is that the developer of the game has been extinct for quite some time so it has no official support, this results in the game being very buggy and having poor performance levels.
    On the flip side, Cities has an excellent modding community so a lot of the issues can be addressed by players and additional content is abundant through xlnation.net.

I've found the best way to enjoy Tropico is to try take on the personality you've chosen for your president, that way you get a bit more involved in how your island runs and can become engrossed in the game.

It also helps to purposefully cause riots and revolts as it gives you something a bit more exciting to deal with every now and then.

SimCity 4 is somewhat old, but it is still a fantastic game and well worth picking up if you can get it from a bargain bin or during a sale; no point paying full price if you're already set on getting the latest game in the series.

It can bug out like mad at times though, so you may have to mess with settings a fair bit to get it playing smoothly.

14. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Yes. Do not buy this game, it has memory leaks all over the place and still in the platinum edition they've just released on steam. No idea why they're still selling it.

15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i havent had any issues with SimCity4 on my windows 7 pc at all...installed it, then installed the NAM mod ( a must imo if you want a large city ) and things run rather smoothly for me
    hmmm might have to go play it now...

16. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Can't say I've seen much memory leaking going on, just slow performance and bad optimisation. The landscape mechanics are a bit screwed as well...
    I'd agree that it should be avoided for most people, those who like modding games may enjoy it if they can grab a copy for under £5.

Worth noting that the original developer (Monte Cristo) was made extinct when the original Cities XL was released (sadly it was also released as an incomplete product due to the team being dissolved).

The people who hold the license now are just milking the cow by releasing "new versions" which are actually just the previous game with content & patch files unlocked (files that already existed when the game was originally produced but were locked away due to lack of time to test them).