1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Anyone else excited about this? (Game of Thrones)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pookeyhead, 18 Jun 2010.

1. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Wont be long until its out... shame I've not got sky atlantic :(

2. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

I've seen the posters for this on Sky Atlantic, shame I don't have Sky, only Freeview. :(

3. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I'm sure Sky Atlantic is there to screw over us Virgin Media viewers, there's no other reason why it's not on Sky One..

4. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i dont quite understand how you could start them and not read every published page!

I will have to wait for the bluray release as i dont have or want Sky :(

I wonder if GRRM will actually have finished the books in time for the TV finale. At this rate the actors playing the kids might have retired by the time he publshes the last book!

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Well... So far I like it. The casting for Tyrion is crap. He should be far uglier. Slightly annoyed at the omissions, but I understand why they've been made.

Fabulously shot. Look beautiful.

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen how they follow the books.

7. GreatOldOne

Bah. I've recorded it, but Mrs GOO had to go out last night and I was warned not to watch it without her on pain of painful pain. :grr:

Hopefully I'll get to watch it tonight.

8. Pookeyhead

I hoped you didn't succumb and suffer being killed painfully to death.

9. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Apparently George Martin thinks the casting for Tyrion is perfect and he's probably the best person to judge.

10. Pookeyhead

I disagree. The thing with books is, everyone "sees" the characters, locations etc differently. Plus, the narrative itself describes him as being far uglier. My opinions are echoed an enough fan sites to make me think I'm far from alone in this.

If I was getting the amount of cash Martin was getting for the screenplay adaptation of a book I'd written, I'd probably agree with anything anyone wanted me to agree to as well ;)

On a different matter. I wonder how they're going to remove half his nose later on.

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I saw this the other night. I hadn't heard of it before, but my wife and her friend insisted I watch it because it was, as they described it, "Lord of the Rings with sex."

I spent the entire show thinking, "Dude, what's Boromir doing there." :p

I have no insight to the books, so take my opinion as someone who has only watched the pilot episode of the show. I thought it was OK. Obviously I'll give it time to develop, but right now I have no clue what is going on, nor why I'm supposed to like or dislike any of the characters - or even if I'm supposed to like or dislike any of the characters.

They were right, though. It is kind of like Lord of the Rings with bewbs. To be honest, I was more interested in the fantasy element than the skin. It felt like some of the nudity was added just because they could.

12. GreatOldOne

Well, that was pretty fab. :)

Pookey - I thought Dinkledge did a damn good job as Tyrion. He's not good looking, but I never thought Tyrion was supposed to be butt ugly. He repulses people because he's short, sarcastic & rude to a fault, and quite obviously much more intelligent than his peers.

He only becomes ugly later on after the battle at Kings Landing - which, as you say, will be interesting to see how they manage to sort out his facial wounds.

SM - No, the nudity isn't added because they can. It's in the books. If anything, it's been toned down. Especially Dany's wedding.

Didn't get to see a lot of Sandor - but the Armour looked good, and he's got the burns.

13. GreatOldOne

14. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Will have to watch the first episode, luckily its on sky anytime for a while.

15. GreatOldOne

Not read the books? Confused? Don't know a Stark from a Baretheon, or A Greyjoy from a Targaryen?

Fear not:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones

Non spoilerific info on the houses, people, their relationships to each other and who's allied with whom. Also has a nice map of the places where all the action takes place. It looks as if it's going to get updated on an episode by episode basis.

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I tried to get the first book from the library yesterday, but they were all checked out. Hopefully I'll get a hold of it soon!

17. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Same, just decided to buy it instead :)

18. shadow12

shadow12 I lie

I thought it looked pretty awesome.

Tyrion close to what I imagined (maybe I thought of him as a bit more deformed).

It all looks good to go.

As for those who are now reading the books, enjoy
    and dont get too attached to the characters.

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I thought about buying it, but since it's a series I want to make sure I will enjoy it first. If it's good, I'll buy it along with the sequels.

20. GreatOldOne

Well, the second episode was as good as the first, IMHO.

Mind you, it gets a little annoying having to pause it every 10 minutes to explain who's who to MrsGOO... But I'll hand it to her for immediately seeing the issue surrounding the Robert's heirs.
    Or should that be 'hairs' :)