1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple's Tim Cook strikes a blow for security, privacy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 Feb 2016.

1. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Because its a lot easier to bruteforce a 6-ish symbol password (prob numeric only) than is to guess a 256bit key?
    But yeh, the most likely scenario is that FBI feels it has high enough profile case to push through their backdoor agenda.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Deadline got extended to next Friday no real shock as they have basically already said there answer.

3. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Apperantly a county official tampered with the password without official go ahead. Like I said introduce a Blackdoor and a biased party will no doubt tamper with the evidence obtainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. rollo

rollo Modder

I read that was quiet funny in a way. Stopped the phone doing a ICloud backup. Smart people work for USA government why would anyone trust this rabble.

If Trump becomes president there will be a huge exodus of tech companies from the USA.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maybe McAfee is going to hold a seance and social engineer the heck out of the guy who owned the phone. :D

7. rollo

rollo Modder

He raises some Valid points,

Why does the FBI need apples help with basically unlimited resources surely they have hackers employed who could do this sort of thing.

Are the FBI that lazy that they require a open door for there needs, if so I'd be a worried American if I lived there. Your main national security agency can't even break into a phone.

As he says Apple will not change there mind unless forced and as he says how do you force them, if they attack the tech companies there is only 1 winner and it's not the USA government.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I don't think that the FBI need Apple's help to get information they require for their investigation. They can get access to his communications and contacts via his ISP, phone provider, skype, twitter, facebook etc. etc. I think that its very unlikely that there is anything on that phone that can't be learned using regular police work and the information that is already available to them. Which leaves the question, why then do they want to get into the phone? It's a political move on behalf of the FBI to exploit a terrorist event in order to push for easy access to otherwise encrypted devices.

We also need to differentiate between the capability of the CIA and the capability of the FBI. The FBI is just a bunch of cops, they differentiate themselves by dealing with higher level crimes and have greater resources than the average police force but really their just a bunch of cops. Not that anyone there cares, but my view of them has really gone down off of the back of this. The CIA are leagues ahead, they wouldn't be pulling the same stunt the FBI is, they would probably just get on with cracking the phone themselves.

I don't think the tech companies will leave the united states. I do think that it is within their capabilities, but if nothing else doing so would put the most senior executives out. To be honest that's reason enough for them to stay put. The tech companies will just spin the situation to their own advantage.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Apples share price has risen since the start of this court case so you maybe right there. It was in the low 93s at start of the case. Peaked at 98 now at 96 since then.

If trump becomes president we will see a 3rd world war he will be the first president banned from the uk if he keeps going the way he is.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm just guessing but would it be because a hacker couldn't update the firmware or iOS without a valid signature from Apple.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Why not ? You can jailbreak every version of IOS. That is basically hacking the firmware. As it does not have a valid signature

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Again I'm just guessing but would jailbreaking wipe the data they're after, I've not researched it but I'm guessing jailbreaking would overwriting or otherwise alter the data stored on the phone rather than what they seem to want, that being to load the altered software without touching the permanent storage on the phone.

It just seems if they really wanted a backdoor placed in iOS that there maybe easier ways to go about it, like not letting Apple take possession of the phone and only allowing themselves remote access to it.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

no the data stays when you jail break a device.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Then i don't have a clue why they don't just jailbreak it then. :)

15. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

I haven't really understood what kind of back door they're asking for. Would it require physical access to the phone or would they be able to remotely access any iphone in the world?

16. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

From what I understand, the firmware for encryption stuff resides on different subsystem isolated from main OS and only accepts updates that are signed by apple. So jailbreaking wont do anything in this case.
    Also, can you update OS on iPhone without first unlocking it?

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

My understanding is that they're asking for Apple to update the software/firmware on the phone to disable the auto erase after 10 failed passcode attempts and also remove the increasing delay between each failed attempt.

IDK enough about hacking to know if updating the software/firmware on the iphone can be done remotely, i guess the software (iOS) can, not so sure about the firmware.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Thats also my understanding.
    The thing is that new software needs to be digitally signed by Apple.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

That isn't technically true though. To jailbreak the IPhone requires a unsigned IOS version as your breaking the firmware. Once that's done you can install any app be it aquired from the Apple Store or from illegal download.

If they are on about the secure firmware the phone in question does not have secure enclave installed as that is only on the 5s onwards. Basically phones with finger print ID scanner. Secure enclave is basically not breakable as it requires the security key that is on the phone and the users passcode. On a 256bit key it would take years to brute force even if you had unlimited attempts at it.

Even if Apple provides what the FBI wanted tommorow they would still have to enter 1 passcode every 80ms which is the limits that can't be removed no matter what. If it's a real password using letters numbers and symbols your talking years to break there's just to many different combos.

There's no way to remove the 80ms limit. It's why a lot of tech people think what the FBI wants is something that will bypass both the pin the 80ms limit and secure enclave on later phones.

Only 1 of those 3 is software the other 2 are full hardware that can not be accessed. Also doesn't this constitute as tampering with evidence as surely editing the software the device is on would be classed as that.

Apple will likely release the IPhone 7 with some form of protection that can not be broken by anyone no matter how many court orders it's given.

Reason to upgrade a totally secure device that will sell pretty well.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Been doing some reasearch into jailbreaking the iPhone and they do say you need to disable the passcode as it can cause problems, not sure what sort of problems but maybe that's why a simple jailbreak wouldn't work.

If my maths is right with a 80ms delay a four digit code would take around 13 minutes to brute force (afaik this is the default length for iOS7 that came with the iPhone5c), six digits would take around 22 odd hours, and an alphanumeric code would take considerably longer.

IIRC the court order says the modifications shouldn't alter the data on the permanent storage, i.e it should only be loaded into RAM, not sure how something like that would be done, it's almost like they want to load a live version of iOS like you get live Linux CD's.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2016