Windows Arma 3 - Alpha

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 26 Feb 2013.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Has the dedicated server been released? I have a spare Linux box that I might try and turn into a ARMA3 server for mates. Its only a dual core 2.8Ghz with 4GB but I assume that will be more than enough for 4 or 5 human players and some AI.

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Problem is that people see stuff like BF3 and then draw a direct comparison. Most people don't understand the sheer amount of work the Real Virtuality engine has to do to keep the battlefield working.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Arma 3. I am getting much more eye candy but with the comparable performance of Arma 2. I am definitely going to have to get a new processor once they get close to release though. It seems much more obvious that there is a processor bottleneck - as soon as there is a significant amount of AI activity, my frames drop. Although I would imagine that they will improve this slightly through the alpha and the beta, it is making my machine show its age!!

3. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Yeah it just depends on the mission. In Arma2 I could get enormous fps if I just loaded in the editor with a dozen or so enemies to kill. The single missions were a bit slower but still ok. But the campaign was horrible because it was just so jam packed with so many complex AI's running around on a 60km2 map. It was often below 20fps no matter what I did.

But usually I play multiplayer so the bulk of the processing is handled by the persons server I am playing on. So I could run smooth as silk online. The only issue I noticed is that the servers seemed to have to be restarted regularly to stay smooth. Some of them ended up forcing everyone to very low fps, and then it would flake out and shut down in the middle of a game you've spent 2 hours building up your funds in. But even that's avoidable most of the time.

4. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

This is looking real cool. I'm liking this posture realism and that the bullets don't come out of your eyes:

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It's very cool. A long time ago Smookie released an animations mod for Arma 2 which was very good indeed. So good in fact that BI employed him to do the animations for Arma 3 - you can tell!

6. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

It hasn't, but there are workarounds (maybe not for Linux. You install steam and the game, run it once, then stick steam in offline mode and run with the -server parameter and it'll let you get it running headless and you can still use your account as a client. Not tried myself yet). Also your spec should be fine for a server, DayZ is a lot worse on resources than arma2/3 because there's more back end stuff going on. It depends how many AIs you'll have I guess.

I struggle to put my finger on it as the menus, GUI etc are all VERY similar to arma 2, it just looks and plays a lot better. Even the server browser looks identical but is far nicer to use than arma 2's was.

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Agreed - it's a lot cleaner and tidier than Arma 2. Overall it looks more professional. Take On Helicopters was a step forward from Arma in this regard, Arma 3 is a step further.

I am definitely going to have to switch gear back to 'G' though - I have teamkilled more in a few days than I did in a few years with Arma 2 because of errant grenades!

8. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Bah, they can piss off, i mean really....you buy a game still in production and then complain it dont work on ur comp....morons....your still gonna get the full game and rather than moan about it, go to the BI alpha feedback and report your problems, then they will be able to fix it.

Thats the friggin point!!!

grrr

9. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Just got my copy! downloading now! :D

update:

Just played the co-op mission where you have to escape from the island with some ZiiP buddies! great fun!

Last edited: 13 Mar 2013
  10. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Not sure if this is common knowledge but i noticed something whilst playing some wasteland.

Sometimes when you attempt to loot a weapon by dragging from the ground/vehicle/body to ur main weapon slot it wont go, simply drag the weapon to your backpack or belt or something then to ur weapon slot :)

Not sure if this is bug, ill need to look into the tracker.

11. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Got a code from jedra. Thank you!

If anyone else has a spare one please let me know. I would love to play this with my mate

12. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Just played it thanks of LG.

Oh I hate not having recoil reset, it's unplayable firing while standing, I end up moving my mouse off my sizeable mat from shooting four rounds. I hope someone will point out that there is a setting, or it's something to add.

Otherwise I love the lighting and art, makes BF3 look like a hideous cartoon. After the first half hour of BF3 I started hate to hate it's insistence of obnoxious FX, ruins so much of the game. Also the stance settings are awesome, if default controls are carp, and I was having a hard time with the responsiveness with the click and zoom for weapon sights. I can fix those couple of things with some proper bindings though, just need to put some proper logic into it.

I may have to buy it soon.

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Have been given a code from a friend for the light version i think, am i right that i cannot play multiplayer?

14. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Yes, all you can do is play the 4 showcase missions i.e No Map Editor, No multiplayer and No Mods (meaning you cannot download missions). You are stuck with the 4 im afraid.

15. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

anyone up for some online A3 fun?

Tags: