1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete ARMAGEDDON, THE SUM OF ALL FEARS (COMPLETED!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by abbas-it, 7 Dec 2015.

1. abbas-it

abbas-it We came, we saw, we mod, you awe!

thanks for your kind words guys, you really flatter me.
    i just opened a letter with another aplication rejection so i would like to share something personal with all my modding brothers out there before this year is out.
    people appreciate my work here in schwabach near nurnberg-germany too but nomatter what i do i still cannot find a job.
    i have been and am presently self employed and offer computer and network services since 12 years.
    seeing as its getting very hard to earn a daily living in little schwabach with this i started looking for a job with my EURIC qualification and also in fields which could require my skills.
    i have had doors banged in my face since the last 4 years because everyone likes what i am capable of but they want to see my qualification proven on paper.
    i have many exhibition invitations in germany too where i exhibit my functional art and case mods.
    i actually earn money with doing what i do and people appreciate it a lot. but when it comes to employing me because i can do what other people had to learn, i have no luck at all.
    i was entered in an art contest in brussels where i made it from over 2000 applicants into the top 12.
    i managed to play it out and not fill in all the required info they wanted untill they noticed i was in the last dozen then they insisted i complete my application.
    when i said i hadnt studied art and had no degree, they simply struck me off the list. in other words nomatter how good your grandmas home made food tastes, dont eat it, because she didnt learn to be a chef.
    inspite of all my success in casemodding, i am unfortunately in a constant state of frustration because i cannot find a job. i havent only been trying in the IT sector but also in the film prop making, art restoration, model builder and various other fields which could need enhanced skills. mustc succumb to the fact that in germany you must have a piece of paper for it, not the capability of doing it better than a qualified person. scheisse, ****, merde.
    a month ago my wife and i pulled the chain and we have sold our house here.
    so that means i am now looking to go back to england and hopefully find a job there where i can maybe use the skills i have. lets hope for the best.
    i have really hoped that since 2010, all my success and media presence would help open doors to stabilize my professional situation, but i guess schwabach is simply the wrong place for me.

so england, after the last 25 years in germany, i am coming home.

so if anyone has a job for me, (am also open for opportunites in other countries) and reads this and has seen all the other media reports and portraits and tv stuff about me and knows and likes what i can do, then please feel free to contact me. i have many other skills and talents which have not been featured here either.

sorry guys, just had to get that off my back.
    i am in this house till the end of 2016 and making all my last projects which i have started ti then, afterwards i will hopefully have or find a new workshop wherever i land.
    ARMAGEDDON, THE SUM OF ALL FEARS will be one of the last projects too so i will really make an effort to make it one of my best and most spectacular. thank you all that you like it, i between the job application denials, its these appreciative posts of yours that really keeps my going. that motivates me a lot.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2015
  2. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Actions and results should speak louder than money or credentials... Bureaucracy at work it seems

For what it's worth;
    your work always becomes more than mere case mods, and scratch builds - they are pieces of art to me. You have great skills and a good eye for detail! Chin up, mate

Would love to see some of your art - hint hint

3. abbas-it

thx strom-83

so guys n dolls, happy new year and its literally been a year since i updated this thread so here is a mini update.
    i channelled a tunnel for the touchpad wire so that it can be charged and driven via usb instead of wireless. this way i willl later on be able to touch switch it on and off via a relais like on a laptop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

apart from that you can see the pattern of the side legs base. these parts will actually touch the floor and will be folded inwards for transport to match the philosophie of attack and run, sleekness of transport and conveyance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Welcome to back to Sunny England,land of dreams.....

5. abbas-it

thx bnegative, i am indeed looking forward to coming back next,,, no this year. i am aiming for som where near my birth place tyne mouth in the north east but am not really fussy, as long as its back in england. i have been here in germany since 1989.

so guys, i got some more leg work done yesterday. the legs have the first rib cage work done for stability. today i will cover the outer side of them before they are hinged on. they both have wiring tunnels too. as you can see they can fold inwards and disappear under the table top which folds down when wanting to transport it. the legs actually have drawers in them too. not in the table top where they would fall out when i fold it down

this is the basic floor touching part
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here you can see the basic leg shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here you can see the wire tunnels for led etc..[​IMG]
    tested for looks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

opened when in use

[​IMG]

closed when you want to move it

[​IMG]

are not hinged or finished yet though.

[​IMG]

6. abbas-it

hi guys, i started covering the side legs today, didnt get much visually done, was a lot of measuring and sanding involved to get both legs the same size first. now they are in balance and i also made the drawer shafts too. some of the parts are covered, the rest will be done tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    more to come..

7. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

WOW, those legs look amazing!! Did you design all this in a CAD program first (I'm assuming you did)?

8. abbas-it

no sir, not a bit of cad at all in my builds, no cad, no cnc, no laser, no 3d printers. i dont rule out the use of them or despise them, will probably use them one day too for custom build orders. but so far i have and am making everything by hand driven tools and little sketches.
    seeing as i take part in the German Case Mod COmpetition, its a must too. but i like doing it this way to prove that my cad is my eye, my cnc is my hand and my 3d printer is my imagination.
    the legs were just drawn by hand straight onto wood, after staring at the wood for 2 hours and imagining the pattern. the idea with the drawer at the top which could actually hold speakers cam as i went along.

9. abbas-it

they rae still subjec to change though, main thing is they are inwards foldable. this will by a real light weight in proportion to its size. and portable.

10. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Quoted for awesomeness. :D That is some serious talent. I can't even measure simple things properly!

11. jojoharalds

jojoharalds Minimodder

Really like the choice in words on that one couldnt have put it better myself.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

12. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

All the details I love it! Keep the updates coming.

13. abbas-it

thanks guys, glad it appeals.
    so today i married the legs for the visuals to the monitor holder. they worked fine after hinging them on, just had to make a few adjustments. the keyboard drawer fits pefectly into the crevasse built by both legs when they are folded inwards so the foldable concept is working. just need some new hinges for the table top, will buy them tomorrow.
    sson the table will stand all by itself, the i can start doing what i love the most decorating it according to the theme and slapping in all the gimmics and hardware.:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the plexi serves as a washer inbetween the base and back monitor holder to reduce friction when unfolding the legs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    tested to see whether the keyboard retrieval container fits inbetween the legs, had to tweak a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

folded inwards[​IMG]
    folded outwards to 90°[​IMG]

i just couldnt wait to get the first impression so here it is, nothing really fixed yet though[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

to be continued..:baby:

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looking stealthy, and like you are running out of room in the shop.

Don't ask what the drill is... :worried:

15. abbas-it

sorry dont have a drill only a hot glue gun.:clap::naughty::worried:

so today it was time to wed all three parts together. and make spac in the workshop to stand it so that i can start doing the fine work. i piled a lot of stuff onto it to test its strenght. sturdy as an ox.
    soon i will be doing what i like the most, details.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. abbas-it

hi guys, so didnt do much this time but i have started with the back top shelf which will hold the controls for all and everything possible in this beast. more tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more to come.

17. abbas-it

hiy guys, i managed to get the back shelf stuck on and the monitor lift cover fits perfectly after a little sanding iff here and there, when the monitors lift is down, the top of it is flush with the shelf.
    nevertheless, its not going to stay that way because it will also have a camera on top which swivels in 2 axis.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i salvaged this video recorder cassette tray forma vcr about 3 years ago and now i can finally use it. it will be set into the desk and is push o open and springs out, it will have buttons and switches for various functions in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. HerrOtto

HerrOtto What's a Dremel?

I still think the chair was in proportion... lol :)
    Looking very good sir!

19. abbas-it

thanks buddy, yep i will have to mod gullivers chair too:D

so i carried on with little parts like the camera carriage and the usb rack holder.

lets start with the usb bay rack.
    some time ago i salvaged certain parts from an old video recorder, one of them being the cassette tray. now its gonna come in hand and serve a a stashable 7x usb port hub. still have to fix the usb hub in but it does fit and hence i can just bang the top plate down when nit needed. that way you dont even realise its there if not in use. 7x usb 3.0, each with its own switch and led.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here with top plate, flush with the keyboard plate
    [​IMG]
    and here when i push it open and its revealed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the next thing i got round to starting was a camera carriage that is on top of the monitors, this will be motorised left and right, the range is 52cm from a to b, left monitor to right monitor depending on where you want it. i also modded in a servoe with a lever test to elevate it up and down. the motor is from the same old vcr. the carriage is made up of left over cogged sticks and a vable channel make shift slide n carriage rig, will all be, or rather i have started to make the housing for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    more to come tomorrow

20. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Your thumbnail appears to have nail polish on it. I won't ask. :D Looking awesome as usual buddy! Love the pop up idea, and the old VCR mechanism that goes with it. Love that retro touch!