1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress artifact, cooling installed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by RobinMessage, 12 Sep 2007.

1. RobinMessage

RobinMessage What's a Dremel?

I know, as soon as I'd drilled the holes I thought "I've Teyber'd them" (sorry Tyber!) I wanted to redo them, but with the time scale I just couldn't so I had to soldier on. I'm thinking about getting these panels done again with a laser cutter now I know exactly how they should be :)

Thanks for comments though, hoping to work through the night and get this baby done in the time limit :D

Robin

2. RobinMessage

Well, it's nearly 1am and I've finished assembling the hardware. Sorry, I don't have time to take pictures because artifact is all packed to go to Uni, and I have to get up at 7am so I need to sleep. Will update with pictures ASAP.

I still need to finish the lighting install and mount the heatsinks, but the case is finished and the original time limit runs out this Sunday, so I should manage to get it completed!

One teaser seeing as you asked so nicely:
    [​IMG]

Like a pudding I forgot to paint the other side of the panel in the front of the picture, so I had to do some extra painting today :wallbash:

3. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Wow! The clearcoat is .. so shiny, so l33t, so perfect I'd like to own some myself *LOL*
    Sad that the sanding made the black paint "smear" onto the purple, but you learned the lesson (as we other also did, I think) - nevertheless it's astounding! I like it very much!

Hope you'll make the deadline - I'm following this project closely, it's amazing that you've managed to get that far i so short time! Kudos to you!!!! Go on! You can make it, and never mind the little "teybers" - you can always edit afterwards, right? Just finish in time :clap:

/Frido

4. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

The difference is that RobinMessage knew he F'ed up and that it isn't nearly as good as it should/could be.

@RobinMessage: good thing you're planning to to redo them when you have the time.

Teyber is a good example because he seems to have learned to do much better work as a result of this forum busting his @ss.

5. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Agree completely, wasn't trying to be harsh, the opposite if anything.

6. RobinMessage

Well, been busy today and had a bit of a disaster - I snapped the bracket to hold the heat pipe block against the processor :waah: Thought it wasn't tight enough; turns out it was too tight. So, I need to either try gluing acrylic or accquire/fabricate a new block :S

Bit of a shame and means I'm now behind, but ho-hum, will find a way and get there.

7. Teyber

Teyber ******

yes, i had to redo lots like 3 or 4 times, but in the end its worth it...
    Id redo that

8. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

As a point Teyber, your stuff is bretty bitchin now you have that concept down.

9. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Not just for your own satisfaction; but to get us off your tail as well :D

But our Bitchin has paid off; your latest work is quite good, and a drastic improvement over your early work. :)

10. RobinMessage

New heatsink bracket

Just thought I'd sing the praises of Kustom PCs

>Hi Robin
    >
    >I think we have a couple of them here, what's your address and I'll post
    >one for you?
    >
    >
    >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > Graeme Clark, Kustom PCs
    > www.kustompcs.co.uk
    >40 Fort St, Ayr, Scotland, KA7 1DE
    > Vat Reg No: 761 6106 44
    >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >> -----Original Message-----
    >> Subject: Snapped an HFX CPU cooler bracket
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I snapped the acrylic bracket from my HFX CPU cooler. Any
    >> chance I can order just another bracket?
    >>
    >> Thanks very much,
    >> Robin Message

So hopefully will be able to get back on track soon :)

11. rdhir

rdhir What's a Dremel?

Push in Push Out catches

You're looking for a "tutch" catch. This is the kind where you can have a handleless door you simply push the door and it pops out a bit. Good luck fixing it to the aluminium, but here are some mail order sources and if not any good architectural hardware store will have them.

Note I bought mine from inbrass.co.uk, but you'll have to phone as they don't have all their stock on the website

http://www.cglass.co.uk/tutch-latch-c-437-p-1-pr-17132.html

http://www.mykitchenbits.com/acatalog/kitchen_accessories_fitting.html

http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/products.php?parent_id=351

Cheers

Rajiv

12. RobinMessage

Cooling installed

It's been really hard over the last few days with all the problems in the mod, but I finally have photos and good news!

Finally got my heatsink bracket glued back together and attached a little less tight this time :D

So, apart from the polishing, window installs and lighting, it's done. I installed the OS this morning (Vista 64 Ultimate) and it's very nice and nippy indeed :D

Firstly, a frontal shot:
    [​IMG]

Let's get a bit closer to the front window:
    [​IMG]

And closer again:
    [​IMG]

Those pipes are damm sexy :lol:

From the far side:
    [​IMG]

And let's see the CPU clip that snapped:
    [​IMG]

Good as new! Thank you dichloromethane!

I am going to light the underside of the CPU clip which should make it even more purple-tastic!

This is where I should have been last weekend, but ho-hum. BTW bit-tech guys, thanks so much for the nomination. Nice to know a beginner can be recognised :D All I can say now is, vote for me please :thumb:

13. RobinMessage

Thanks Rajiv. I actually bought one of the top catches from a hardware store, but it was too big and heavy and needed too much force. In the end you have to push one end to open and one to close, but it's nice enough.