1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Assembling the worlds fastest DualCore i7 Mac Mini 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 15 Mar 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Socket 775? That can't be right.

2. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Yes, you are right - there is a error in the program there. Truth is there is actually no socket as it's soldered to the mb

3. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Today almost a week later I have finally managed to install and setup everything for what I will use the mini for normally.

I have a lot a lot a lot of programs wich all have their special settings, making aliases to all the folders all over the system that are on my external drive (like my iPhoto library) and on the second SSD (like my downloads folder).

Decided to use it as a single SSD for boot and apps and the other SSD is for most commonly used files + boot camp.
    Boot camp would never work in RAID, so thats the primary reason.

Another thing also, I managed to fit the wifi grill back into its original position! Am not going to fiddle more around in this tiny case for the next many months, so better get it right the first (or second) time.

Next update will be a few videos on my YouTube channel whenever I get time to edit it all together, watch out for pretty amazing speed tests.

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

So now that you're done, what's the plan? Sell it and buy a proper computer?

:p

Kidding of course.

5. timmillea

timmillea What's a Dremel?

Sorry I am a little late to this discussion :). However, the new Mac Minis are reviving a huge amount of interest in the 2012 and 2011 models, as reflected in their soaring used values. I suspect there were very many others like me waiting for Apple to properly update and upgrade the Mini and now feel their is better value and performance in previous generations.

Since this excellent thread was last updated, Kingston have replaced their HyperX 'Plug 'n' Play' range of SDIMMs with the 'Fury' and 'Impact' ranges, both 'plug and play' but at opposite ends of the performance market. 'Impact' now makes it possible to buy 2 x 8GB SOMDIMMs that run at 1866Mz with CL 10-10-10 or 1600MHz at CL 9-9-9. I have ordered a pair along with a 2011 2.7Ghz i7 Mac Mini from the 'bay.

I am looking forward to posting my benchmarks and perhaps gaining the title of The Fastest Dual Core i7 Mac Mini 2011/12 :).

Yes we should move on to new pastures. However, I don't want to buy an inferior-performing dual-core Mini nor invest in a Mac Pro before the Broadwell/Skylake update.

A 2011 MM maxed-out should see me through handsomely and if I could gain that title in the process ....

Tim.

6. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Oh dear this thread again...

There is no "title". It's just an underpowered mac, by all means put some more ram in it and an ssd or two but unless you're prepared to desolder the cpu and put something meatier on please don't refer to it as the fastest anything. It's now a several year old machine and the fact that Apple would hobble the latest one just speaks volumes about the logic of owning something they've manufactured.