Asus A8N-SLI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sgr55, 28 Dec 2005.

1. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

Well i've been having some pretty serious issues with this board.

Unstable, BSODS
    File corruption,
    Windows taking 5mins to load, and freezing alot.
    Loss of user input, keyboard and mouse stop working
    Nvidia firewall causeing BSODS on a fresh install.

To name a few.

I've done all the stardard troubleshooting issues. Memtest, striped out everything thats not essential, Different HDD, updated bios etc etc etc.

Has anyone else with this board had such issues? I have an email off to asus which is about 700 words describing the large number of problems i have encountered with this board.

Basically i'm interested to see if this is a common occurance. IF it is then i can see me basically being quite screwed, since i'm well past the 7days cooling off period and can only get an RMA now.

2. Plesuvius

Plesuvius What's a Dremel?

I've had the A8N SLI Deluxe, it's been quite trouble free. Had some SATA issues with a beta bios, but flashing to a later bios fixed it, and even those weren't data-loss issues. Sounds like an RMA may well be in order, if only to rule out the component.

3. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

Been doing some reseach and it seems like a few people with maxtor drive get corruption issues because of issues with the nforce 4 chipset.

if this is the root cause i wonder what asus will do for me. As they have sold me a product with no warning that theres isseus with certain drives. Couldnt even see anything on nvidia about it. I will not accept any more costs because of there board not supporting a standard hard disk if this really is the problem.

I'm well past the 7days cooling off period so i cant get a refund and get a board with a Silicon images chip onboard.

:wallbash: Really should have stuck with gigabyte

4. killingtime

killingtime What's a Dremel?

i have the asus a8n sli and apart from occasional turning on problems, usually solved by resetting and selecting start windows normally, has been a fine board.

it did give me a lot of grief concerning the nvidia firewall though, but i removed that and other parts that weren't necessary and that seemed to solve the problem =].

5. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

the nvidia firewall software is a waste of time, Just causes BSOD's

I have to say its a bit of shoddy work from nvidia, would have expected better from them

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I've never had a BSOD from the activearmor firewall. Looks like it's not a set in stone problem.

7. Plesuvius

Plesuvius What's a Dremel?

Apparently Maxtor have firmware updates for the sata issues with Nforce 4 mobos, and the newer mobo BIOSes can help too. Check that the transfer mode is set to 'auto' also ! I havent got any of the problems, but then i have Plus 9s.

8. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

must be with speficit hardware configureations that cause the active armour firewall to cause issues. But i have heard a few fokes complainin about it.

ATM cant get windows to load. Just sticks on the loading screen. :(