1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Attaching an HDD cage to a case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by collateral, 26 Oct 2012.

1. collateral

collateral What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone. I have an mITX case which wastes space so I have decided to relocate my hard drives. I think I can use a 2.5" adapter bay for use with 2 bays (and cut off the excess 3.5" adapter bits linky). However, I don't know how I should attach it: ideally, it should be easy to remove which is why I'm hesitant to screw it in as it would require for me to remove the front panel of my case (see pic).

[​IMG]
    The clearance I have for this 'bay/cage' is around 28mm depth and 115mm length, width is not too much of an issue. (The red boxes are the motherboard and the case pcb). I cant attach them to the bottom because if my power supply.

I was thinking of trying to cut some flaps out and bending them, but it may not be great, and, the vertical clearance would need to be greater (although it would probably suffice).
    [​IMG]

So my question is are there any ways to attach metal-on-metal which could also be disconnected quickly but could support 2 2.5" drives?

Edit: There is also a plastic version of this, so would it make a quick attachment/removal easier

2. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

If removal is an issue, Id personally use velcro.

3. collateral

Would velcro hold up a spinning 2.5" and an SSD?

4. Jay88018

Jay88018 What's a Dremel?

+1

I used velcro for the back of my motherboard tray, keeping the wires in place once i had tidied, so its strong enough to hold a 24pin power connector in place. Why not just buy a 2.5 adaptor to hold both drives, then keep it fixed in place with the velcro ? As an added bonus, the velcro should absorb any vibration and give you less noise. :thumb:

5. collateral

Excellent! I'll try this method before bringing out the dremel (which I dont have an excuse to use anymore :( )