1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Batman: Arkham Asylum (Demo + Retail!)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by vdbswong, 7 Aug 2009.

1. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

This. It's not a bad game, but I don't get what all the commotion is about.

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Got the game, working through it, loving it.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's because the demo is essentially a tutorial with one open area after it, the game gets more challenging, especially if you put it onto hard.

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

glad to hear that :) (or read)

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Took me 13 hours to get through the story with minimal Riddle hunting. Normal/73% of Riddles.

Enjoyable for the entire thing, even if the final boss did get a little.. Thumb strain-y

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You people haven't got the PC version right? I'm afraid that'll be your loss quite honestly.

For once I'm totally sold on the PhysX aspect, and am desperate to play this once Joe gets it in. Yea, unfortunately that's Nvidia specific which is **** - but you could always try and borrow a separate Nvidia card just for PhysX - there's a separate option in the game for it.

Even if you don't, those with pimped out setups will be able to try another PC-specific graphical feature, however it's a KILLER on the FPS and needs serious horsepower to run it.

:blush:

3D Vision was good, but it's such a "more money than I know what to do with" addition still.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I can't wait for the PC version, I loved the PhysX enhanced bits and pieces in there. :D

8. DarkLord7854

Which is..? :worried:

I might buy it on PC now too.. oh dear..

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm guessing 3D-vision on nvidia cards :lol:

10. DarkLord7854

3D-vision sounds more like a gimmick and I doubt very many people have it at this point..

11. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

It appears this PC-specific graphical feature isn't restricted to nVidia cards.

Also:

:read:

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

What does PhysX add other than a more wavy cape?

I'm not really finding "poor" physics to hamper my enjoyment of the game, I doubt I'd bother going out and buying a beefy nVidia card for that.

13. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

cant wait to play this, i love the way the characters almost look like action figures, like you could reach into the screen and pick them up.

in terms of the Physx ive only seen it on nvidia so cant really comment, any single player game i CAN get on pc i do tho, was burnt with GTA 4 and since then stick to pc versions where possible

14. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I'll get it for my xbox, so I think I will have to make due with a less wavy cape! Dammit! :p

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm going to get it for my slightly aged pc, so i guess i'm stuck with starch cape also. :D.

I'm amazed that my old a64 can still run games like this admittedly i'm missing phyisx but that's just another gfx card away no?

Demo was Great Fun, though is this the first game with the UE that doesn't have squared jawed overly large dudes which actually could have got away with the chiselled look.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's just another layer of effects no different from AA or HDR or bump mapping, except, imo it is really well integrated into Batman unlike Mirrors Edge where it was obviously tacked on.

3D Vision is pretty cool and certainly something you have to try one day, but I wouldn't ever recommend you drop the big wedge on a 100Hz monitor and sexy goggles.

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

PhysX adds a lot more world detail at highest setting than medium setting. most people notices the cape is probably only running at medium setting.

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I guessing the ragdoll effects of knocked out henchmen would be better and I guess wall explosions would be a bit more impressive but I still don't really see it adding anything major like it would in something like a shooter where you've got lots of debris and stuff flying about. Apart from bodies and the cape, I don't think anything else really uses the physics engine and just uses fixed animations.

I can see the point in AA and HDR, etc., but PhysX isn't really another layer of effects, it's just an improvement on the layer that's already there and is good enough for me.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Certain destructible environments that are designed as part of the gameplay, and you can break every individual tile :p

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

You're really hung up on that individual tile thing, aren't you? It's just an extra, meaningless doo-hicky that means the sparks are a bit bigger and bounce around more.

There's stuff to like about the PhysX, but it's the ribbon and rope effects, like being able to cut police tape properly and the ability to knock debris on to people - not the fact that if you throw your batarang at the floor five times then the tiles get an extra crack in them. :p

My understanding was that PhysX didn't effect the cape either - because the cape was already fully programmed and was optimised to be the same on all platforms. They had one guy working for two years to get it right.