beep.. beep.. beep

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Acid Burn, 9 Feb 2005.

1. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

Hi. 3 days ago, i installed my watercooling, and ovverclocked my computer. every thing worked great.

now.. yesterday, i was just fixing some of the lights inside my case, and connected my floppy disk, and i connected a cable to the usb extension pins on the mobo. i booted up and the only thing that happened was that my computer started beeping. i don't know what the beeps mean since i have an abit an7 mobo and it doesn't say anything about those sounds in the manual. the beeps are not very long, but with a short break between each beep, they continue in an everlasting loop.

so... i disconnected all the stuff i had istalled when it started beeping. but it is still beeping! it doesn't even get into bios. it's just a black screen!

ABIT an7 has a little screen on it that shows where in the boot up sequence it is. it stops on 26...

does anyone know what might be the problem?

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Were they short or long beeps m8? Sounds like a memory error....

3. Acid Burn

i don't know how to explain it. they are rather short, but not very short.

thaks pal. I'll try to boot with only one ram stick.

4. Acid Burn

it is not the RAM that is the problem. i removed all the sticks and booted. the beeps that came now was different. it the beeps that come when they are installed are shorter.

the code on the screen on the mobo means that the problem is:

1. early init onboard generator is not defined onboard clock generator initialization. disable respective clock resource to emty PCI & DIMM slots.
    2.init onboard PWM
    3.init onboard H/W monitor devices.

I have no idea what this means.. so if someone please could tell me, it might bring me one step closer to find the error.

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Reset the CMOS, normally if you've overclocked and you haven't given your chip enough V Core to post then it'll do that.

6. Acid Burn

just did.. it didn't help much.. it is still beeping and no bios.

7. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Did the computer turn off ok? The only other thing i can think of is a corrupt BIOS, in that case you'll have to RMA the board or get someone with an AN7 to hotflash the chip.

8. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

well your boot order is the best way to start, youve got a simple order that it has to go through:

cpu, ram, vid, and then to your hdds and periphs. does your screen stay in standby mode or does it go green and just stay blank. I know you said you tried one stick of memory but i would check each stick at a time to make sure. maybe unhook your WC (i know its a pain) and try with a HSF and see if thats any different. Disconnect all uneeded devices like cd-roms and the usb thing and start small. if you start getting anywhere then you can narrow it down pretty easily. good luck m8

9. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

might sound silly (but done myself once) but have you checked the floppy power connector is in right/correct way up. Had continuous beeping on IC7-max3 when i made mistake.

Malccy :)

10. peteone

peteone Minimodder

11. Wombatwilson

Wombatwilson What's a Dremel?

are they like a siren?

12. slugs

slugs Minimodder

the beep code harp back to the dark ages when building a pc was an adventure. and you used to now the three long three short was really bad news.

my mates a64 beeps and then tells you in a bart simpson voice whats wrong. ive searched the abit site for the post code 26 but its a complete waste. wonder why its there.
    ive got post leds on my msi and counter on a epox board and they are well documented.

13. Acid Burn

thanks for all your suggestions and time! I found the problem... it is my brand new (only used for half a week) sapphire x800 pro gfx card, that is defect. i really have no clue what so ever why it stopped working. since the only thing i did was to (gently) pull out the power cable and putting it back in. everything with the power off.

I had to install my old 9600 card to find the problem. now i just hope that the shop that sold me the gfx card will believe my story. it really sounds fishy.

14. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

If the supplementary power connector is not attached or not quite in right, it will result in a beep code (helpfully, it seems to be the one usually reserved for DIMM failure) - are you saying that it works now that you've refitted it? If so, then no need to return it, unless you can consistently make it NOT work - and then it's easy to prove it to the shop :thumb:

15. Acid Burn

no unfortunately it does not work :sigh: so i have to send it back.. the strange thing is that it just can't think of any reason for it to stop working just like that.

16. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

static, maybe?

17. Acid Burn

it was in the case the whole time. didn't even touch it. the only thing i can think of is that it got shorted someway. not a single drop has left the water cooling. and the power was off (cable pulled out) as i pluged the power cable back in to the gfx card. after i found out that the card didn't work, I took off the water block to see if some of the artic silver (5) had touched some of the other stuff on the pcb than the core and ram, but it hadn't. i tried it again, and it still didn't work.. so I simply don't know what's wrong with it.