1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ben Heck builds WASD-replacement footpedals

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not on my copy it ain't: look at my fingers in the above picture. WASD all the way.

2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'd like a set for my new wheelchair desk. I still have up and down of my right foot, just can't pick it up easily (problems are higher in the leg.) What I want is a set that can mimic back and forth motion.

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I see what's happened. Your copy is probably the same but the reason "WASD" works is a happy accident: by using W, A & D from the "WADX" control config option, and instead of using the X as intended, you're using S which is from the alternative WSHJ control config. Voila! :)

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hah! Makes sense - so although Mazogs was the first to feature WASD, it wasn't supposed to feature WASD. D'you know, I think there's an interview in this - might try to track down the author, see how he feels about inventing the number-one PC game control layout by accident!

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

That's a good idea. It would be interesting to hear how he feels having possibly created the conditions for players to adopt WASD, completely by accident. It's like finding an evolutionary missing link.

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Everyone knows that the best key config for 8-bit computing was QAOPM. Don't even get me started on QWPL, however!