Build Advice Best Bang for Buck CPU/Mobo/RAM combo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by olv, 27 Oct 2008.

1. olv

olv he's so bright

I'm looking to build a cheap gaming rig soon, probably based around the ATI 4850. I've not built a PC since the athlon xp-m and abit nf7-s were all the rage so I'm completely out of touch.

Looking for a cheap system that'll have some headroom for overclocking.

I'm thinking cheap Intel Dual core chip, but have no idea on all the different cores, what's currently the best?

What chipsets are good now? I've noticed that there have been quite a few incarnations of the nForce chipset, are these still any good? Or is it best to go with p35/p43/p45, or whatever the intel ones are? Which brands are good in the overclocking world?

And in terms of memory, looking for 4gb of DDR2, probably 6400. Is it still the case where you can just run dividers to get higher CPU speeds so as to avoid needing super fast RAM?

As you can see I'm a bit clueless. Not looking for the latest or greatest anything, just an average machine with some overclocking headroom.

Thanks

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

cpu: intel E5200
    mb/ Asus P5Q SE
    mem: 4GB Corsair XMS2

4. olv

olv he's so bright

Thanks, e5200 looks like a good way to go. people seem to be achieving 4ghz on air with low volts.

5. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

I would also recommend looking at the E6400. 2.13 stock, but I have mine currently running @ 3.2GHz, with headroom to go a lot higher... but I don't have the RAM for it :sigh:

I agree with Dennis on the P5Q SE ... though I would get this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147769

Best value in graphics cards atm is with ATi...

and the memory market is looking v. good atm, so I would go either for XMS2 or some OCZ Reaper. Also, look for G.Skill on ebay - it can be gotten very cheaply at times.