News Bethesda releases Dishonored 2 system requirements

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Nov 2016.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

@eachus
    These days, cache is the least of your worries when it comes to decompression. As stated before, you may experience stuttering or performance drops while decompressing in-game, but that blame could likely be directed toward the CPU being overworked rather than there being a cache issue.

As for dual cores, I'm pretty confident that anyone trying to play one of these massive games isn't dumb enough to expect to smoothly play them on a CPU with only 2 logical threads. But suppose someone did, having sufficient disk space or shorter loading times would be a very low priority.

I'd say multi-CPU gaming rigs are pretty rare these days too. Pretty much just a "look what my money can buy me" kind of thing than anything actually useful or practical. Sure, you can buy some retired server hardware for cheap but those still don't make for good gaming rigs. Latency is important in gaming, so when you have buffered ECC RAM and multiple processors wasting a bunch of time talking to each other, the game will take a hit in performance.

2. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

Is it just me, or does it seem like big game titles are making much steeper hardware system requirements than they have in the past compared to the hardware available? Seems that you used to be able to at least play on minimal settings the latest games on cards under $100, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.