1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BioShock 2 has no LAN or dedicated servers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Jan 2010.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

you think you got it bad, you should have seen the bollocking i gave my binmen this morning.

2. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Hey guys.

I love bioshock 1 and will probably play bioshock 2 through different methods. I only pay for multi player experience and if its bad, i dont think so tim.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

They probably saw MW2's sales along with the backlash. :-|

4. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

This news doesn't really bother me too much - I'd only want to give the MP a brief try anyway. I'm not all that interested in the MP side of this *particular* game, just the SP.

5. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

The same way they've added excessive DRM despite the backlash they got from doing it on Bioshock 1 i guess.

They do seem to be going out of their way to give me reasons not to buy the game :duh:

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

fixed that for you :)

7. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

Crysis 2 looks that bad huh?

Gunsmith likes this.
  8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

LMFAO have rep for making me genuinly laugh out loud. :hehe::hehe:

9. fodder

fodder Minimodder

A lot of people I know ended up buying MW2 as COD4 had been so damn good and thought they would give IWnet a chance, just in case it was ok to use.

It's not, and never will be. We are all slowly migrating away from it back to COD4, especially as the 'lag' is getting slowly worse and the 'party closed, or whatever it is, is getting so frequent that joining a game can take more than 15 mins at times.

So, 2K games is stating that they didn't have time to create a dedi and lan based MP, yet IW say that the IWfail took a lot of effort and development to get the matchmaking etc running.

Jeez, at least get your industry BS consistent boys, that way we may believe you for more than a few seconds.

10. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

lagg on servers that are owned by the maker of the game instead of private dedicated servers, never! I mean I am sure that they are just so motivated to provide high quality servers that even private groups competing for donations or profits would never be able to be so motivated.

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Well, if the MP's gameplay won't ensure the death of Bioshock 2 MP, laggy p2p games certainly will.

Pretty annoying how lately all games have been announcing no dedi servers. I'm really getting tired of this.

12. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

It just takes one big game to pave the way. I think we will see lots more games without dedicated servers in the future. Most of their customers don't know or care about dedicated servers.

I dont see what they get out of it. Dedicated support cant be hard - practically all older games have it. I guess the just spend their time on matchmaking for console gamers instead.

13. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Haha, this!

14. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i can't see why anyone would buy this game, especially for MP, but its worrying to see "everyone" making crippled MP on pc games.

15. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I don't think a major title has appealed to me less than Bioshock 2, and it keeps looking worse and worse. I wish they wouldn't tell such bold faced lies about it though, dedi and lan support is piss easy. This "we didn't have time, we were too busy creating something to live up to the communities expectations!" is utter crap. Especially considering that they failed the community before they even started by forcing P2P on them. I get the feeling that by the time I get through my back catalog of games and come back to MP there will only be P2P :(

Maybe it'll at least be functional by then?

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

same thought exactly. just getting more publicity for its sequel.

but i sure hope the host migration works. unlike MW2, since 1.0.175, i am almost guaranteed to get lost connection or migration failed message on 2nd or 3rd game. and don't get me started on the horrible lag spikes.

17. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

****ing epic ********, now comes the time to see if I can hold out. I will for sure not buy this now until its $10 or under, just like the last. Im sick and tired of this crap. LAN is a staple of PC gaming, ****ing MW2 has set a precedent.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Well, at least they dont hide it is a console port.

19. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Despite the no-dedi's thing in MW2 a few hundred thousand people a night still play it and enjoy it. I am not saying that's a good thing, but companies know if they release a good product then eventually people will PROBABLY buy it. Especially if all their mates have given it in.

The small % that would complain are acceptable loses when making this kind of money.

20. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Why and how would you want to play multiplayer Bioshock? Bioshock is a long, lonely single player with a strong storyline. There's no story justification - in fact you'd have to bend the story like a banana to create co-op play. If it's just free for all last-man-standing, then there are surely better games with more appropriate settings...?

Tags: Add Tags