1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Bit-Tech/Intel NUC Competition] Tooobular, with 3 ooo's --Finished, Pg. 4--

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 31 Jul 2013.

1. Asouter

Asouter --------

Yup definitely looking good, having to use the imagination to see how it fits together .... I'm guessing you're a mean poker player :D

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks.:D
    @Asouter - Never played enough to remember the hands.

3. Cheapskate

Meh, Just ordered Win 8. My brain isn't what it used to be and it really didn't like reading through Linux support forums.

4. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

5. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

I was thinking you were cheap and then you turn up with a $100+ dollar screen PFFFFFT Cheap.

Looking great though.

6. Cheapskate

:lol: Thanks.
    @Mech -It was the cheapest touchscreen I could find without building it from scratch. -No tax and free shipping too.:D

7. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

If you dont mind "non OEM" software, theres a WinXP build that with all updates still only takes up around 12 gigs. I have my mail server running on a 20 gig SSD with almost 7 gigs free.

8. Cheapskate

-ooo factor 10, Mr. Scott.

If by "non OEM" you mean, "serial # off one of one of the dead systems lying around," I thought I'd play it safe since it's going to Intel eventually.;)

[​IMG]
    -Why did I save the biggest part for last? Maybe I was worried it wouldn't fit in the mill?:lol: I had plenty of room, I just had that brain-fart from that last post...
    [​IMG]
    -I think this was the two-hour mark. Bananaman says "Hi." -Err'ry body wave back.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's the dicey bit: This is a bevel pass. I had one of those spots on the bottom where I didn't want a bevel, so I made the cutting path wider there. The problem is, I'm pushing my maximum width again,
    and I didn't check if this would clear before I started.
    [​IMG]
    -Whee! I got to the edge without the dreaded "WHRAAAAAAA" sound.
    [​IMG]
    -Drilling out the pilot holes.
    [​IMG]
    -Teaser.:D
    [​IMG]
    -No, you didn't warp into Slipperyskip's log accidentally. I need to widen one of the panels that was only 1/4" thick, so it could have screw holes drilled into it.
    [​IMG]
    -Each half is made of three panels. I have this batch (plus two) taped together so I can glue them. I re-checked a dozen times which part NOT to glue.
    [​IMG]
    -glued.
    [​IMG]
    -The two halves fused.
    [​IMG]
    -Now the tricky one: The L bracket has to be glued over that groove on the top, so that it can slide over the faceplate, AND line up with the power button panel.
    [​IMG]
    -Got it. There's one of those size-reference objects again, too.
    [​IMG]
    -The front USB sticks out enough that I had to clear some material from the inner wall.
    [​IMG]
    -I got started on the risers at this point.
    [​IMG]
    -Ooooh, Tiny! I ground off some material from the top to clear all the tiny components packed on the board. (seriously, the NUC is packed both sides, and all the way to the edges.)
    [​IMG]
    -This was the preliminary test fit. I marked any spots that needed ground down and hit them with the file.
    [​IMG]
    -To mount the risers, I bolted them to the board, seated it in the case, and hit the risers with solvent. You can see I had to do some grinding to the inside of the ports here. The HDMI port is slightly tilted, and the thunderbolt port is just a little crooked too.
    Things like that only get noticed when you try to make an insano-tight fit I/O panel.:lol: -I failed.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2013
  9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That teaser, :jawdrop::D end result of this will be amazing, looking forward to it. :D:clap:

10. Cheapskate

Thanks.:D

11. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Nice work and WHY are you making us wait from a hint in your earlier post I'm sure you have this completed. NOW MOAR!!!

12. Cheapskate

:lol: Your reading skills are soft, man. I've been done for WEEKS.:naughty:

-Well, 'cept for the OS and other tweaks.

13. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

We need to see this all together cheaps. It's looking so clean.

14. Cheapskate

Good news.:D There's a semi-assembled pic in the next update.

15. Darkwisdom

Damn you and your teasing.

16. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Looking real good there Cheaps!!! Progress, more progress please

17. Cheapskate

Thanks. Progress will have to wait. I'd like to take a moment to say WINDOWS 8 SUCKS!
    -WAY too much cocaine Microsoft. Seriously... you need to quit.

18. Darkwisdom

Ah it isn't so bad. Just apply something like Classic Start. Bypass the Modern UI completely.

I find it's more stable and slightly faster than 7.

19. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

20. Cheapskate

ooo overload! Prepare for meltdown!

OK, that was harsh. I know there's still something to work with in there... but who thought it was a good idea to have things flickering on the desktop. I was only on that screen a few minutes, and my right eye didn't quit spasm-ing for hours.
    -Also: Making a interface based on smart phone OS tech, then having high resolution requirements for the programs. That's the crackhead part. I'll be trying to tweak settings most of the day I fear.

anyway...

[​IMG]
    -I drilled some holes for LED's into the center layer of plastic. I bottomed the holes out with a mill bit. Here I've taped the bit at the depth I want to stop.
    [​IMG]
    -To get some light into the front arm-thing, I had to make a channel to run wires. I started by drilling all the way through the panel in a spot under the fanguard.
    [​IMG]
    -I milled out a channel in the panel from that hole to a spot where the hinge layer mounts.
    [​IMG]
    -To get the screw holes started, I taped the two halves together and used the pass-through holes for guides.
    [​IMG]
    -I'm using lots of water again. You can see the overlaps are slightly longer than they need to be. In the sanding phase, these get lapped flat.
    [​IMG]
    -I flipped her over for the back holes.
    [​IMG]
    -The L bracket, (is it still a bracket if it's not holding anything?) got a bevel to match the front angle.

[​IMG]
    -Here's what you've been waiting for. I've got most of the parts assembled, and I've started to sand. Only one pic.:D Don't expect the tube to stay smooth and shiny like that either. I had to add some roughness so the hinges wouldn't slip. Over time with a lot of moving, they probably will anyway. Friction...erosion...decay, it's all inevitable.:( (Still thinking about the MS Paint treatment of 8?)

[​IMG]
    -To get that nice seamless look, you need a flat surface and a big sheet of sandpaper. It's kind of like sharpening a shovel by dragging it over the driveway, but more refined.
    [​IMG]
    -Things get covered with pink dust fast.
    [​IMG]
    -For cracks and corners, I have a ton of old drafting ink erasers that make handy mini sanding blocks. This will probably get me some flak, but I'm not sanding past 240 grit to give it a brushed aluminum look.
    [​IMG]
    -Hey! I found another handy feature.
    [​IMG]
    -The edge of the PCB shows through the vents in places, so I painted it black. The battery cover got a treatment too, although it is not visible from the outside.
    [​IMG]
    -OK, I have to do something to mount the screen. I will attach something to this hub using the hinge point. To remove the stock base, You have to tap the hinge pin out from this direction.
    [​IMG]
    -Once that's done, you get this metal pin and bushing, and you an finally see inside the hole to tell that beating on the pin for a full minute from the wrong side was useless.

OK, that's it for today. Feel free to scream and pull your hair out, Darkwisdom.:naughty:

Last edited: 13 Sep 2013