1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Broadband and tv providers for my new house?

Discussion in 'General' started by dead beat, 16 Jul 2014.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I'm in the same boat with my new house. Ive been with BT all my life and its been smooth. Upgraded to fiber and again no problems apart from HH3 being a bit more unreliable than HH2. Speeds have dropped over time but its still fast enough that I didn't care.

Now in my new home I can't afford all the cells and whistles so I'm left looking at budget options. Talk talk hasn't had 1 good review. At best "it works". EE has had mixed reviews too and with my neighbour being hamstrung on Orange I'm reluctant to go with EE. I've mainly been looking at Tesco's and Plusnet. No one seems to use Tescos so I know little about it (personally don't wanna pay Tesco anything if I can help it) so Ive been leaning towards Plusnet.

Just a quick question. Does fibre require LLU in the exchange or is it only useful for standard broadband? Also with Plusnet being owned by BT does it use BT's equipment or is it separate? According to Samknows O2, Sky, Talk talk are the only ones with LLU at my exchange.

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I think the best way to check with Plusnet is to use their website, I can't remember if they have "specific" equipment that isn't BT.

LLU only refers to ADSL services, Fibre is normally listed as FTTC on SamKnows, IIRC.

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Cheers. According to plusnet I have access to both ADSL and fibre. According to samknows Plusnet doesn't exist. BT have FTTC tho on another tab it looks like it isn't open to other companies. Its the newtownabbey area exchange.

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I've had no trouble with plusnet, I've been with them for years, give them a ring if your unsure, but I've found the online system to be pretty accurate.

5. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Adsl/adsl+2 uses either the BT wholesale 21cn Network- ie BT retail/Plus net/EE/Zen, Sky and TT are LLU so they have their own control over the service.

Fibre- either its FTTC or FTTP, its the same situation as above, Sky/TT need to have llu in the exchange to sell FTTC.

With FTTC the backhaul for cabs goes back to larger exchanges- so smaller exchanges will go back to a larger exhange where Sky/TT have llu.

02/BE where bought out by Sky so their network will be shutdown as everyone is migrated to Sky.

Best way to find out what service you can get is to use the BT wholesale adsl checker- either number for BT line or address for TT/Sky llu- Postcode is least accurate as it can cover multiple areas.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Samknows doesn't always get it right it always gets it wrong with me.

Yeah BT does own plusnet but it stops there BT can only offer me 2meg yet I'm getting 14meg with plusnet? I know it don't make sense I have to assume plusnet use their own equipment.

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Plusnet gave us a modem and a router for FTTC a year ago, it was fast, reliable and cheaper than anyone else. My old housemate still on it now.

I'm with Zen internet now at my new house, samknows didn't have a tick for Zen, but all their services were available at my property. As long as you have BT services to your property, any other companies should be able to provide for you.

8. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

My experience so far after getting swapped over from TalkBork to PlusNet on Wednesday.

I woke to find I had no phone or net so went out for the day. Returned at 7pm and the new phone line was live. So I plugged my new router in even though I was told to wait for the text message. I couldn't get it to connect at first but an hour or so later it came live.

I have been getting disconnects ever since so I rang them today. After about 8 mins I got through to Ed who ran some tests. I informed him that this had been going on with TalkBork for sometime and that I'd already had 2 engineer visits that both reported outside faults. He immediately said he will book an engineer and hopefully get it sorted this time. Visit is booked for the 30th. I found out they had my mobile number slightly wrong so that is why I never received the text messages.

So overall even though the BB has not been stable the issue is getting dealt with professionally and quickly, something TalkBork will never achieve while they continue to deploy their chicken coop slave labour business model.

The service has been crap everyday and under normal circumstances I would be annoyed, but right now my mental health/karma/zen/ ying yang yong etc is most definitely still intact :thumb:

I might actually get a new cable brought into the house this time. The existing one has about 3cm left coming into my house and must be 60 years old.