1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i mix different DIMM's of RAM?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tekcajder, 19 Sep 2006.

1. tekcajder

tekcajder What's a Dremel?

I just purchased two 1G sticks of pc3200, i currently have one 1G stick of pc2700 in my system.

i was wondering if it would be possible to stick the two pc3200 sticks in with the pc2700? i figure they'd just clock down to the the slower of the three.

2. andyl33t

andyl33t What's a Dremel?

Does your motherboard run dual channel? If it does, you can put the 2x1GB of PC3200 in one channel, and the other PC2700 in the other channel.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You can mix them easily.

Provided your board supports 3GB+ of RAM

4. tekcajder

tekcajder What's a Dremel?

i've an asus a7n8x deluxe which supports 3gigs of RAM

as for the dual channel, it says "128-bit dual-channel memory access possible" ... if you'll excuse my inexperience, what would this take? is it just a matter of plugging them in the correct slots? or do i have to adjust some settings in the bios?

thanks for your help!

5. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

It should just be a matter of plugging them into the right slots and the board will automatically set dual-channel. There actually shouldn't be anything in the BIOS in regards to dual channel.
    You just have to make sure that you plug them in the right slots.

6. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

to run dual channel I'm pretty sure all the ram needs to be exactly the same size and speed. but your memory should clock down and run without problem.

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

3 DIMMS will never run dual channel... For that you need an even number. They will run in single channel tough. They will all adjust to whatever frequency you set in the bios, just your PC3200 will be able to handle 400MHz and your PC2700 333MHz. So it's best to set your frequency in your BIOS to 333MHz, so your PC3200 will downclock, and your PC2700 will run at rated speed.