Can someone help with identification...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deep-Blue, 7 Mar 2004.

1. Deep-Blue

Deep-Blue Part-time Overclocker

Okay so my college got a hord of new 'puters, and the admin offloaded a couple of the old ones on me and my mates. The machine i recieved came as this:

Intel PIII 600Mhz (64/256 cache)
    64Mb PC100 SD Ram
    10GB Seagate HDD
    8Mb ATI Rage 3D XL
    No Optical Drives
    No OS

Now every time i try to install an MS based os, i get an 'error7' and every time i try something such as linux i get Kernel Panics. So i had a theory that a little upgrade was in order so i gave it the following:

384M PC100 SD Ram
    32Mb Creative TNT2 M64
    20Gb Seagate
    Iomega 8x4x32 CD-RW

Again, when i try to install any OS i get an error as described above. Now from what i can tell htis is one of those horrible workstations where u need to 'prep' the machine before you install an OS, so i started to hunt for the utility floppy. PROBLEM. I have no idea what the machine's model actually is.

I know its a Compaq Deskpro, and that is all i know. HP/Compaq give minimal help. Can anybody help in identifying this old Compaq rig?

Will post pictures as soon as i can.

DeeBee

2. Deep-Blue

Deep-Blue Part-time Overclocker

#In the meantime, i've reset the bios, and now i can install Win .net Standard ED. As for linux tho, im getting the same errors. I think it's reset to default.

3. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

There should be a sticker on the bottom or on the inside that has the model number and serial number. It may be on the motherboard.