1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Canon 5Ds Leaked

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by samkiller42, 31 Jan 2015.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Found an interesting comment, copied verbatim

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Just noticed this article on DPReview; Canon are preparing a 120MP sensor.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Theoretical... perfect lens... etc.

I simply do not need the physics behind theoretical limits of a 35mm sensor, because lenses can't even get close. I would have put my "best guess" through experience at around 60 or 70MP anyway. That's utterly academic, because I'm not suggesting the 50MP sensor is stupid.. as a sensor... it's not. If there was a way of exploiting it I'd be overjoyed at the prospect. It's stupid because because no such lens exists to exploit it, and no one seems to be investing in any lenses that do either, so literally.. what is the point?

Well, if they are, they've simply either taken leave of their senses, or they simply realise that idiots will buy it. I suspect the latter. And let's not make any mistake here... if you buy a 35mm sensor of 120MP then you clearly a ****ing idiot. If it's geared toward space and industrial applications then I'm sure there's a use for it, but in a 35mm DSLR camera? If they did that they'd just be a laughing stock, and professionals would flock to another platform in a massive vote of no confidence. Professionals are crying out for dynamic range and new lenses, not a stupid bloody MP war.

The only practical way forward in terms of getting sharper images, is to move to a larger format. At this, rate, with the lenses you'd need to exploit such a small, high density sensor, it would actually be CHEAPER to move to medium format.

I really, really do not see the point. Before digital, we all KNEW what the physics explained in Cei's article meant, and hence, we just used larger pieces of film if we wanted more sharpness. Nothing has changed.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2015
  4. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I hate to agree with you, but that's spot on. Based on plenty of reviews I've seen, the MK2 is sharper over all, but at the cost of a harsher bokeh. Given I shoot on APS-C ( 7D ) the MK1 was a no-brainer choice, much cheaper and just as sharp images relatively speaking given I don't require massive images for just putting on Flickr and my website etc.

What Canon needs to do is up its game regarding dynamic range and high ISO performance- Nikon beat them easily in the first ( low end bodies having better blacks than top end Canon bodies ), probably the second too...