1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Case Mod: ..::L A N B O Y - A P O C A L Y P S E::.. VIDEO! 2.5 days at Mnpctech

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 10 Apr 2012.

1. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Looking good as allways Bill :thumb:

2. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

@mnpctech

[ot]well first google replies :) here and here[/ot]

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Vetalar - Did you check wegotussomemedicalwaste.com?:D

I've been contemplating this design for a long time. Every time I smacked my shopping cart into those stainless steel collision rails at the grocery store I thought about swiping some for raw materials. 'Toad's res is running on borrowed time, (and is really gross inside,) so I bought some 316 SS.
    [​IMG]
    -I also went with a big enough diameter to accommodate 4 g1/4 ports. This stuff is great. I smashed a lot of stuff with this while laughing madly.
    I didn't photograph the cutting process. I will say I ruined some of the plastic bits on my chop saw. :wallbash:I really want my tile saw back!!!
    [​IMG]
    -I milled these out. The inside of the port cap friction-fits some plexi tube I had. You can see the channels for an O-ring in each cap.
    [​IMG]
    -I glued the scrap bit from the O-ring retainer on the tube and bored out a side port. This way the system can run with the top off. The version I drew up for production has fillport in the top instead. Negative loop pressure would have made it tough to remove.
    [​IMG]
    -My first clamp construction was a failure. The little drill bit was curving as it went through the polycarbonate top piece. I figure Bill will prefer to do these in aluminum. -No point in making a beefy reservoir with sissy clamps.
    [​IMG]
    -The second reason this failed was the difference in thickness between the 2 materials.
    [​IMG]
    -They functioned perfectly, though. I used them for mill clamping. Milling the retaining screw holes was easier than copper cutting, but I had to supply oil to the cut constantly.
    [​IMG]
    -I kinda screwed up the first cap. My drilling came out woogly. For the second I used this setup.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a closeup of the retaining setup. These socket cap screws act as pegs to keep the caps from popping off.

There should be some pics of the sanding process... somewhere... Hang on a sec.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2012
  4. Cheapskate

OK, Back from shockwaveabuseBucket...
    [​IMG]
    -The material I got looked like it dragged behind the mail truck to my house, so I had to get it sanded. Here I have modified my TribalOverkill ghetto-lathe attachment, and I have a skateboard wheel for a tailstock.
    [​IMG]
    -To get the wheel to fit snug in the res tube, I used an old sock. -What can I say, I was in a hurry.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's the sanding setup on the drill press. When the little stick I was using to keep the tube from slipping downward set off the smoke alarm, I decided I was done.
    [​IMG]
    -I whipped up a set of friction fit mounts.
    [​IMG]
    -That's all I have. I'll leave you with an internal shot.

Scirocco likes this.
  5. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@Cheaps, was the weld seam in the tube visible? I didn't notice any seam...

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Thats a great looking res there Cheaps :thumb:

7. RcRon7

RcRon7 What's a Dremel?

That's really something. One of these days I'll have some Big Boy Tools.

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Looking good fellas!

9. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys. :D
    @Bill - In that pic right above your post, you can see the weld on the bottom. A slight color/texture change on the inside is the only way you can tell. On the raw stock the seam is unnoticeable on the outside too.

10. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

[ot]darn!!! i've sat on the _mountain_ of money!!! 1-2 liters of plasma each day, 200-300 ml of blood and i didn't even start mentioning operation room!!!![/ot]

11. mnpctech

We had a bit of an itch for something Steampunk, so we gave the ASUS GTX 560 Ti's factory fans and shroud a "Steampunk" makeover.

[​IMG]

Kyle made the Copper rings while I modified the factory shroud.

[​IMG]

Kyle airbrushing aged and weathered effect on the "steampunk" inspired shroud.

[​IMG]

12. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Airbrushing was an awesome experience! Especially having Brad there to give me tips and showing me the ropes with a promise that I will lose parts of my anatomy if I dropped the brush and broke the needle....

13. Cheapskate

Did he make you clean up the gun afterward? You don't get the full experience if you don't clean it.

14. mnpctech

Brad quickly took it over to work on Scirocco's upcoming project build :clap:

15. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

That res is absolutely lickable! :p

Can't wait to see this bad boy come to life! :thumb:

16. mnpctech

Thank you everyone for tuning into this project log and sharing your comments and feedback! Over Kyle's 2 day visit, we transformed Antec's Lanboy Air into our vision of something that resembles make shift portable Nuclear Fusion Generator in Post-Apocalyptic landscape..

[​IMG]
    Our Lanboy mod makes no apologies for being Mean & Nasty looking.

[​IMG]
    The Gullwing style side panels were created with spring loaded hinges. The Lanboy was painted "Charcoal Grey" metallic with "distressed and weathered" highlights.

[​IMG]
    The XSPC Raystorm waterblock is kept cool with the massive 250mm cooling fan mounted on 8" x 9.25" wide Thermaltake radiator that was taken from their "SwordM" full tower. The fan behind the Stainless Steel reservoir is Enermax VEGAS Trio in Blue/Red/Green combo-LED with 11 switchable LED color modes.

[​IMG]
    Kyle created a custom switch box for the top with plastic wire loom covering the wires. The Green faucets created the illusion of plumbing for the toxic waste. The Lanboy chassis was flipped upside down with the NZXT 850 PSU relocated to the exterior. The watercool loop exits and re-enters the interior through in the top of the PC.

[​IMG]
    Intel Core i7 970, EVGA X-58 Classified, 12 GB Corsair DDR3, Dominator-GT, XSPC Raystorm CPU waterblock, Asus ASUS GTX 560, NZXT 850 Watt PSU, Mushkin 120 GB Calisto SSD

17. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

not my cup of tea but awesome nevertheless! :clap:

18. Cheapskate

We're gonna need some internal pics. I like how you completely removed the drive area, but it makes me wonder where the HD went.
    @Angel - Thanks. It tastes like *copper-plated coinage.*

19. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

It's totally awesomeness what you did with this house!

20. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

Great work mnpctech cant expect anything else from u guys :D
    Looking forward to the next case ^^