1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Classic PS2 titles that are must haves?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TrevDX, 6 May 2014.

1. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

Here's a couple more for the lists:

God Hand
    SOCOM II: US Navy Seals
    Twisted Metal Black
    Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
    Rez
    Dark Cloud & Dark Cloud 2
    Another Century Episode 3
    KKND Krossfire

2. oscy

oscy Modder

I'm going to name games I think others won't have said, and not mention PS1 games:

War of the Monsters - You and up to three other classic movie sci-fi monsters have epic battles in a variety of cities. Seriously, (copyright aside) King Kong vs Godzilla vs a MegaZord vs a giant eyeball hurling each other into destructible building and eating cars. You must have this game. (similar to King of the Monsters on Mega Drive)

Yakuza 1 and 2 - the GTA of Japan, though it's a beat-em-up action RPG. Got even better on PS3. I like to call it a tourism simulator. Epic production values as it goes on, awesome soundtrack. PS3 games have karaoke which is the greatest thing to happen to any game ever.

Spider-Man 2 - If you have a PS3/360 you may as well get Spider-Man 3, otherwise this was an amazing thing to happen. Open world game where you're Spider-man, nuff said.

Project Zero/Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3 - Regarded as the scariest game(s) ever, along with Silent Hill.

Hitman Blood Money - Pretty much unanimously seen as the pinnacle of the franchise where everything was done right. You're given a large location and a target to kill. If you've played Absolution, it's like the good bits (King of Chinatown, strip club hit etc.) but far bigger.

Star Wars Battlefront 1 - The sequel is cool and has (lifeless) space battles, but BF1 has proper battles and stand offs and none of that bonus skills crap.

Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Gems Collection - This'll add a few dozen famous and obscure Sonic games to your collection. (Sonic CD has the American soundtrack though, which as we all know isn't as cool as the original soundtrack)

Keep in mind the games are usually better on their Xbox or PC counterparts.

3. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

+ 1 Ace combat, Black, Ratchet and Clank 3, Jak 3, Time splitters 2

I put MANY hours into Black, Ace Combat (actually Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War [Squadron leader in Europe] was the only one I played, but was incredible.)
    Time splitters 2 is a must have.
    I only played Jak3 and even without the back story, it was just, fantastic. In it's own league.

PS2 emulator time? haha

for extra fun
    battlefront 1 AND 2 (I lost 1 and I miss it dearly, even if 2 was an amazing second installment)
    spiderman 2
    nfs2? maybe? the tuning and customisation of that game....I'm still perplexed. so much fun.

4. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Minimodder

The Getaway (GTA in Laaandun)

The Warriors (Developed by Rockstar and ported from the PSP)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Already been mentioned but Wipeout Fusion, Soul Caliber 2 and Gran Turismo 3 were my favourite games on the PS2.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is also worthy of mention as it's been the only fantasy game I've ever enjoyed.

6. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Okami's a great game, if you can find it. I've only played it on the Wii so I don't know how good the brush mechanics are on PS2.

I can understand not liking ICO (though I personally do), but I'd really recommend giving SotC another shot. It's a brilliant game if you take the right pace and immerse yourself in the atmosphere. If you're not a fan of non-"game-y" games, it might just not be your taste though.

7. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

Def Jam: Fight for New York is absolute quality, highly recommended.

8. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

Just a small selection of games to be getting on with I didn't see above....

Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 3, Zone of the Enders 1 and 2, Final Fantasy 10, Soul Calibre 2, Dragon Quest VIII (not numbered in the UK), Disgaea 1 and 2, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, La Pucelle, Drakengard 1 and 2, Kingdom hearts 1 and 2, Shadow Hearts, Star Ocean, Atelier Iris 1 - 3, R-Type final, The Red Star, Viewtiful Joe, Capcom vs SNK 2, Chaos Legion, Timesplitters, Max Payne, Red Faction 2

Yes a lot of those are JRPG's, but if you're into them they're some of the best. These are all games I still own and are in storage as I have no space to set up my PS2.

9. Alf

Alf What's a Dremel?

I've been LONG out the gaming circuit, about 20 years or so overall, but I had about 4 months off work when the PS2 came out and I've just split with the ex and spent the last 8 weeks saving every penny I have, and wasting many an evening indulging in some cheap games on a cheapo PS2 I bagged. So here's my pics of games what I enjoyed then, and still do now.....

God of War - Unmissable. The combat is a bit "meh" when compared to newer games, and for me it's definitely enjoyed best on a medium difficulty, but as an overall game it's simply awesome. Almost every section is a superbly crafted set peice that meshes with Greek mythology mintly.

The Warriors - Captures the film brilliantly, but is also tons of fun too. Just dead simple fighting and havoc causing bad-assness.

FFX - The game which saw me through a bone graft when recovering from a car accident during that 4 months where I could only use 1 hand. Cheesey and a bit dated, but brilliant atmosphere, great story + characters, and a real magicl vibe.

Summoner 2 - Just mint. Good gameplay complimented by a superbly atmospheric & original world, and very intruging story. I got a Xbox 360 off the ex last year with Skyrim, and Summoner 2 is waaaaaaaaay better.

Okami - "Wonderous" Is the only way to describe this game. A bit easy and a bit simple in parts, it's still a "wow" experience.

Vice City - I've just played GTA 4 and Christ where did it all go wrong? Vice City was just so much fun - tear arsing round the streets on a golf bugg bludgening folk to death witha golf club whilst Japanese Boy plays? Genius.

Shadow Hearts Covenant - Just a random game I picked up which I thrive on. Never known any game/film manage to strike such a bang on balance of seriousness & humour. One moment I'm tense, the next I'm laughing at utter stupidity. Interesting & fun gameplay too.

Last edited: 30 May 2014
  10. HeaverNothing

HeaverNothing Professional Idiot

Need For Speed Underground 2 ,Spyro The Dragon ,Crash Bandioot and rachet and clank are all must haves. They were my childhood :D

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

They are super cheap and can be found very easily. I have two (one for everyday and one for Sunday best... :p), a Fat original model and a slim. The fat model is the pick for me as it has guaranteed PS1 backwards compatibility* whereas the Slim is a bit more patchy (CM2.0 won't run on my Slim whereas it runs fine on the fat).

Sadly my 60GB launch PS3 is dead as a dodo otherwise I would use that.

*can't remember if it was a case like the PS3 where the extra features were removed.

There are some cracking games for the PS2 and the best part is they are all pretty cheap. Most the best ones have already been mentioned but I would also keep a look out for 007: Nightfire, May Payne 1&2 and the Jak & Daxter games.

Sadly most of the cross platform games of that generation are the weakest on the PS2. The Xbox versions of often noticably better. Not a deal breaker but it might also be worth picking up an original Xbox for those titles as well (again the consoles are dirt cheap and the games can be had for £1-2).

Before you know it you will be going back down the retro route.... :p

12. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Too late :D

I've already gone down that path earlier in life so I already have all Sega & Nintendo consoles (vanilla so to speak, i.e. No Mega-CD or 32X, etc.) problem is now that I try to buy any games boxed complete where possible so sometimes pay more than a new game :jawdrop:

13. oscy

oscy Modder

I used to only want to buy old games boxed and complete until I reached the age of about Reason. :hip:

14. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Gradius V, Disgaea and Ico

15. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

Considering some of the prices I've seen for the games I want (which are the only ones I want boxed) then that time may be fast approaching but there are still a couple before then....

16. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Just realised I never mentioned Dropship.

[​IMG]

Loved that game! I lost many hours to it...

17. oscy

oscy Modder

The time I stopped buying complete was when I realised I didn't actually use the boxes or manuals. There's no point unless you want to display it to make yourself feel fuzzy inside.

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Ouch yes boxed and complete & in mint condition means handing over lots of readies, especially for some of the more sought after games.

My thing at the moment is building a PAL Dreamcast collection in mint condition. The games arn't hard to find but once you add in the requirement for non-broken PAL DC game cases the availability plummets. I have now resorted to picking up any sports game with a decent case I can find to swap out for any broken case I have.

19. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

Tourist Trophy, its made by polyphony and is exactly like gran tourismo, but for motorbikes.