1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clipless pedals

Discussion in 'General' started by dom_, 15 Apr 2008.

1. gar

gar Minimodder

Sometimes the angle needs to be set on the pedals, so theres not too much float. There should be some sort of adjustment screw on the pedals, or other cleats that have less float. This can also be a problem is the shoes have gotten muddy because bit of stone can get jammed in there.

I own both shimano road and mtb pedals, which are all great. I actually prefer finding them hard to get out of because I used to have look and I kept ripping my foot out of the peadls during sprints and I hadnt even twisted my foot. Could have been a disaster!:duh:

2. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

ive been tempted to get a set, but i ride my bike to and from tech and only want to be wearing normal shoes then, might have a look into those half 'n halfs thou

3. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I have a query on the eggbeater pedals.

I use the Shimano SPD pedals so the spring mechanisim is in the pedal itself and you simply have a cleat recessed into the sole of your shoe. The eggbeaters look like they are a hook type clip which would suggest that the mechanisim is in the shoe, is this correct?

If so, I would imagine this would make the shoe perhaps a little uncomfortable to walk with, yes/no?

4. RTT

RTT #parp

Johnny - the mechanism isn't in the shoe. If you look at dom_'s picture you'll see the inner loops are sprung.
    Obviously the front of the cleat goes in first - under the sprung hoop - and then as you press down to clip in, this forces the hoop to move forwards which allows the rear of the cleat to hook under the unsprung hoop. Then as the rear clips in, the sprung hoop moves back again which completes the process, and the shoe is secured to the pedal.

It's a perfect system (imo) because they are stupidly simple and never clog up. Time Atacs use exactly the same hoop system.

Here's what the cleat looks like, which might make it a bit clearer -

[​IMG]

5. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

half n halfs here, I think nearly every one when they first try clipless has some form of fall, I did and ended up looking like a spanner with some bird laughing at me.

Means you can go to the pub in normal shoes, and do some real rideing later on.

6. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Yeah, I've been running SPDs as flats on my road bike for about a year. I can never be bothered to wear SPD shoes (and take a change to where I'm going), and besides, my SPD shoes are pretty much permanently muddy/wet. I could get a second pair but to be honest I find the spds-as-flats OK. I've had a couple of sketchy moments, but nothing too bad.

I would put flats back on, but some idiot cross-threaded the pedals when putting them on ( :worried: ) so I'm worried that taking them off would lead to me requiring a new crankset...

7. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

i tried clips, and even briefly clipless pedals ...

couldn't do it. too much freestyle and bmx in the background. ended up going back to my GT pedals with Urchin cages. not for the faint of heart (or shin).

i tend to stomp on climbs though - bad habit from the 20" days ... most times under power my bike would rock 15 deg either direction ...

8. iggy

iggy Minimodder

same here, could never quite get used to stopping. stop -> keel over.

got a pair of candys sitting here completely unused as well :eek:

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Really? Getting out of clipless pedals is always easier than getting in, in my experience. Much easier than with those giant strap-goes-over-your-foot types anyways. Sure it's 1% more effort than just lifting your foot off the standard flat pedal, but you lose such an insane amount of power due to foot placement and getting zero gain on the lifting action... whatever, to each his own.

10. iggy

iggy Minimodder

i like to think of the zero lift thing as little tiny rests for my legs.

11. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

But what if you need to bail? I can see myself using them for light XC, but I really wouldn't want to be clipped into my bike while careering down a rooty hill at 60MPH, heading for that 100 year old oak tree ;). Nah I'll stick with my DMR V12s for now I think.

12. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

A lot of pro downhillers use SPDs, but they're falling out of fashion a bit at the moment (the pedals, not the downhillers), as is often the case in the fickle world of bikes. Unclipping really does become second nature after no time at all (a matter of a couple of rides) so failing to unclip is not an issue. Like I said before, it's not just about pedalling efficiency, it's about getting your foot (securely) in the right place. If you have the skill to ride DH at 60 mph, I think you can probably learn how to unclip ;)

Obviously it is preference, and you can choose to ride what you want. I don't think a BMX background precludes you at all - I've ridden trials for years but I will swear by SPDs for XC. Also you won't see anyone half decent at Cross Country riding flat pedals.

13. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Ah, I see, that makes sense. I generally ride 'freeride' which I guess is hardcore XC with a little DH and Street (at least that's what it is for me). And to clarify the only way I go down hills at 60MPH is in a car :D . Perhaps after this enlightening education I'll try them one day, I've always rather like the look of those Crank Brothers ones dom_ mentioned.

14. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I have a pair of Crank Bros candys, and like them a bit. I'm eager to try their acids since I need a bit more of a platform as I haven't ridden in a while.

The hardest thing is for me to remember to unclip. Hopefully it won't take too many falls to retrain myself!

15. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I've had a set of SPD pedals on my good bike (as opposed to the cheap bike I ride around campus - if that thing's stolen, I'll miss the bike lock more than the bike) since I was ten. Unfortunately, once I started driving I pretty much stopped biking, and outgrew my shoes without ever replacing them. I've gotten back into riding lately; I suppose I probably ought to get another pair of shoes.

But yeah, clipless pedals are absolutely fantastic. I fell over a few times learning to use them, and I'm sure I'll fall a few more when I get new shoes. But overall it's totally worth it - you get more power, and with your feet being held in the correct position you also end up much more comfortable. As someone else noted, without clips of some sort it's much too easy to pedal with the middle of your foot, which isn't a great choice.

16. Seraphim Works

Seraphim Works What's a Dremel?

Remembering to unclip will come quicker than you think, especially when you encounter situations such as toppling over incredibly slowly whilst waiting at the traffic lights on a roundabout... Thankfully the roundabout was empty, but little makes you learn quicker than a bruised ego.

I wouldn't go back to platforms now, especially as I'm using Nike Kato shoes (look like trainers with a recessed cleats and a slightly less stiff sole). Perfect for thrashing it into uni on the road bike, then bumbling around on foot after.

17. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Same pedals I have! Love them to bits but I am tempted to see what all the fuss is about and try clipless.

18. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Yep, I agree about unclipping and falling over, once you've done it a couple of times (especially in public) you soon learn the technique to get your feet detached real fast.

Oh and thanks for the explanation on how the eggbeaters work, I now see what you mean when I look closer at the picture.

19. RTT

RTT #parp

I think I fell off about 3 or 4 times when I first got my SPDs, after that I've never even had to think about unclipping. A couple of crashes I've had since were probably worse cos I was clipped in, but whatever...

My only issue with the egg beater pedals is you really cannot pedal without being clipped in as there's absolutely no platform. Sometimes if i'm not feeling brave (hey, insane mud tyres on off-camber, wet roots...) i'll ride a tricky bit with my left foot unclipped just in case, and my Time's allow me to do that and still pedal the left (just), but egg beaters definitely wouldn't let me do that. Hm..

20. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Considering I managed to learn how to use them properly at the age of around eleven, and they have never failed me. No-one has an excuse not too use then honestly.

And for downhill? If I didn't have my Crank-Brother Mallets on Fort William, I somehow doubt I would still be mountain biking...