1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress -Completed- DSA-Recon - Update 17 April

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sanjaya, 21 Jul 2014.

1. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

I love seeing diy waterblocks, in fact I've been experimenting myself :thumb:. I do feel bad for your drill press, it'll need some spindle bearings when you are done :p.

You may be better off cutting channels with a dremel. I'm not sure how well the standard cutting wheel will handle copper, it may gum up but it's worth a try.

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Orange, interesting shape, DIY waterblocks. Count me in!

3. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Thanks guys

yeah i feel the same. my poor drill press. i tried the dramel, actually not dramel, a gem n jewelry cutting tool which is much faster than dramel, but too bad it takes a long time to cut the channels and doesn't cut that easy. and yeah the whole block get god damn hot. but i think i might use that and make thinner less deep channels.(like in heat killer) but it all depend on the performance of this test block. if it performs good i won't make another one. But if it performs bad then i will try another one. Have the copper block already. and today got some numatic fittings as well as tubings. so ill find a pump n plug it for 48 hours n see for leaks, then test on the system for performance. but damn building it was cheap........... $3.00 for the copper block and spare $10 for ware and bits, (also for the bearings lol) and almost nothing for acrylic piece and fittings were just $4.00 so the whole block cost me about $20.00,
    I will put up pics and performance in few days

hehe. thanks. stay tuned :dremel:

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I killed a belt and a micro saw blade on the last block I made. Copper is REALLY tough. :(
    I'm worried that block might not have enough surface area for a modern chip.

Dremeling channels can't be done with abrasive discs. You need a cutter blade. Even then it's hard.

5. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

jesus christ! :\ then screw me :\ ... ill try this then if it doesn't work ill do with injection molding. m not gonna go n buy one even if i have money lol. n i think still it should be better than an air cooler. and that would be more than enough for me.

6. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Motherboard Shield

Hi Guys Here is something I started doing before holidays, but only today i did the Acrylic cut. this looks cool, i can't decide whether to pain tthis or now :\here's from A-Z
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what do you guys think? should i paint it or does it look good this way?

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Personally, I'd say sand it a bit more to make it a bit more frosty, or paint it to stealth with the rest of the internals.

8. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

+1 for a little more frosting

9. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Yep then i will sand it more and hope it look good :) thanks guys

10. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

I will test the custom block for leaks tonight, then after 48hour test i will fit it to the system and test for another 48 hours, then i will check the temp change in the system and we will see how effective it is.
    On the other side, have some obstacles in the case build, first of all the 0.6 thick Mild Steel i used seems to be bit too thick for the build, and the side panels have an issue fitting well to the side, so i'm gonna do some modifications and tests to see what i can do to fix it, then after that i will buy a new aluminium sheet and build the whole case in that, for everything i got only till Oct 10, then have to send off to powder coating and m y flight is on 26th :\ so it's gonne be a hectic half a month from now on :\
    But i will finish the build and i will update you guys

11. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Metal Work

Hi modders. Sorry for being silent for some time. But here I am with some Updates So this is what I was doing with the build, Too bad I did not have enough facilities to laser cut the metal, so all Jigsaw and Dremel :dremel: :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More updates coming soon
    Thanks a Lot for Gigabyte for Sponsoring this Build with their fabulous Z87 OC
    [​IMG]

12. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Hi everyone, sad news. the waterblock did not leak but the temperature difference was only about 2 degree Celsius from the aircooler I used, so I decided not to use that for the build. Instead I will be using the CM Seidon 240M with COOLERMASTER sponsored me for the first build

13. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Your waterblock had far too wide fins. You need to create as much surface as possible for the coolant to touch so as much heat as possible can be transfered to the coolant. Of course there are other factors as well, but that is one thing that instantly caught my eye.

Too bad though. Using custom hardware is always a plus to a project.

14. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Yep Can't agree more Hukkel, problem was that i used a drill press, and it was next to impossible to get even these fins. and in my country, quite hard to find CNC routers to do small scale stuff, so i guess i need to find a good place to do better CNC, my idea was 0.5mm fins, but with drill press, LMAO. I will post on this thread if I ever make a better custom block, but I'm happy atleast it was as good as an aircooler, coz I've seen many people burn their proc trying this.

15. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Kudos for trying anyway :)

The mobo cover is looking very good, nice addition to a nice board!

16. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Thanks Meelobee, hang on, the cover gets better :D

17. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Props to you sir for even attempting such a thing. That takes balls! Even if it didn't work, the knowledge you gained during the process was invaluable. Great stuff Sanjaya!

18. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Thanks a lot Bartacus,:thumb: yes gained lot of knowledge and skill. but i will make a proper block someday when i find a place to CNC it. :clap::dremel:

19. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Metal Work + block

Hi everyone, this is the first try of the side panels with the aluminium sheet, the side bend does not work, unless i use a mould press, it won't get the shape as the 3d model. so this is how it looked,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aaaaaand here is custom block before the testing. As I mentioned it didn't perform good enough.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep in touch :D

20. Sanjaya

Sanjaya Minimodder

Metal Work

Hi Modders Back after long time sorry for the delay

So when I assemble all the aluminium pieces and Components for test fitting it looks as follow. what's left is paint and assembling
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]