1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete [Completed] Music Box - Final Photos 14th, Feb 2012

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mosquito, 29 Dec 2011.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Really like that, well done bud, gives me ideas :D

Whats the sound quality like then as the speaker box isn't ported and are the 2 central speakers acting as tweeters? Also sorry if I have missed it but what Amp and Crossovers are you using?

2. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Thanks Guille!
    Since I've seen it run on a netbook before, I imagine it would run .... granted probably with a fair amount of stutter, but that's beside the point :lol:

Thanks coolamasta.

The speakers are actually somewhat ported. I cut a notch out of the bottom of the backer inside the case. Not ideal, but better than not I guess... You can kind of see it here in the piece before it's assembled. I ended up making it a bit deeper eventually.
    [​IMG]

I had planned on tweaking the speakers quite a bit, but ended up not having to. It's fairly simple/rudimentary. I'm using the board out of a pair of USB powered computer speakers. I just soldered the new speakers to the ones that were existing. Not the best, but cheap and effective.

As for the sound quality, I guess it's a matter of opinions as far as "good" and "poor" go but...
    Better than this:
    [​IMG]
    But not as good this:
    [​IMG]
    :p

I would say that it's better quality than I was expecting it would be. Maybe I was just setting my expectations low because I wasn't sure? It doesn't have as much low end as larger speakers obviously, but the sound is a lot more full than the computer speakers I was using with my zune. Overall I'm happy with it :)