1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress COMPLETED - Raised from the dead Mod ( 2nd in the June MOTM )

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by S7design, 27 Apr 2015.

1. S7design

S7design Minimodder

DAILY UPDATE

Happy days are here !! :D the frame is done!!!! no more screwing :D Just the mesh to go, but ill do that with pleasure just that im done screwing all those screws in and out all the time.

did end up taking me good 3 hours and worked well past midnight but it was worth it, to get this finished, i maybe already said that i finished this, as im just so glad it did

Here are all the sides and the front with the OCN logo water loop inside. Ill just need to cut town the corners brackets flat with the bottom to get a clean line also at the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the end had to put the top case on to see how all of this ended up looking like, and have to say it's looking good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

did a video also today of a victory lap with the top case on
    https://igcdn-videos-g-15-a.akamaih...-16/11250863_661534827312775_2003172805_n.mp4

2. S7design

S7design Minimodder

DAILY UPDATE

started on the mesh, and first wanted to see a little peace how it will bend and how much i need to leave i on each side so it holds a good shape

[​IMG]

The little test peace ended up looking good, and i see that i have to leave 1cm on each side, but will need to make little cut ins where the screws are, but nothing major.

[​IMG]

With that sorted took out the new can that i bought and this time need to cut the mesh strips straight. Took of the top and bottom and sliced it open.

[​IMG]

stretched it and secured it to two wooden planks. Took the tape that is exact 5 cm wide, the exact dimension i need. marked them of at 50cm each and started to cut. They still look like they will be bent even when i supported the middle part that i sagging in the middle, a good optical illusion.

[​IMG]

actually was releved when i cut the first on that i did come out straight and then did the rest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here are 4 straight peaces, and once ill one end they will also straighten out, that's tomorrows job.

[​IMG]

3. S7design

S7design Minimodder

DAILY UPDATE

happy happy days :) the mesh is bent and installed so with that the frame portion of the cooler box is done!!! There are still a few more jobs to do on the cooler box, the feet, the cover....

any ways, to today action, first off i measured of a cm on each side and bent the mesh against a piece of wood, the other side was a bit trickier but got it done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and process repeated 4 times

[​IMG]

The first one is installed, i had to cut out the mesh on each side at every spacer so the mesh would go down and be level across the entire length. You can see here how the original mesh was a coned shape, how the mesh pattern is not straight.

[​IMG]

That was quite a task to get all the cut outs done, as these can have a smaller mesh then the previous ones and it took more time and effort to cut them, as the mesh was bent with 3 cm wide it fits really nice in the gap and is able to hold it self so no mounting required.

[​IMG]

fter a few hours the final results are quite satisfying :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the final result i wanted to achieve with my design of the frame around the cooler box, now the top case is over the cooler box for just a few mm and not 3.5 cm as it was before. I can say im pretty pleased how this frame came out, it was well worth building it despite the the time that it took me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. S7design

S7design Minimodder

DAILY UPDATE

Today was a very productive day, it was raining the whole day so not much else to do then MOD :D

-DVD DRIVE

got of started with the mount for the optical drive, got my U bracket and the L mounts or brackets or what you may call them, and of course my slot loaded drive, started of by cutting 2 same peaces of the U bracket, luckily on one side the drive has a edge that the U bracket just catches on to, and hold the drive perfect

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riveted the L mounts on the U bracket

[​IMG]

deciding and measuring out the position of the drive in the bottom of the case

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

marked out and cut out the hole

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

riveted on one side and then turned it over to make it straight and riveted the other side when all was nice and straight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

measured out the hole in the foamed PVC bottom panel and cut it out. Quickly but all the peaces together to test out the drive, but my fear came into reality as the GPU was blocking the disk from being inserted into the drive, i could force them in, but in that manner i could have damaged the GPU, the disk or the drive so had to re think my idea. But the drive was working OK as i managed to put one disk in :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

called up my father in law for some help, as two heads are better then one, and we came up with the solution to simply tilt the drive forwards so the disk would avoid the GPU and it could be inserted easily.

So we dismantled the mount quickly drilled a hole at 60 degrees to the bottom of the case and riveted all back up, had to make the hole for the drive a bit bigger, because of the tilt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

again but everything back together and tried it out, this time work like a charm, no problems loading the drive and it even looks way better loaded at a angle

[​IMG]

here is also a quick video of the drive ejecting the disk.
    https://igcdn-videos-h-5-a.akamaihd...86-16/11372947_101953420143185_42851919_n.mp4

-Top cover for the cooler box

got on what was previously the left side panel of the bottom case and marked out where i need to cut it so that it will fit just against the top case.

[​IMG]

after that i cut off the back lip that is now in the way, it is hitting the mesh and can not lay flat on the case.

[​IMG]

and a perfect fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ill put along the edges some 15mm trim and the handle. will put the trim also on the shorter sides not only on the longer one, but this ones ill just glue on, doubt i will be using screws this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Measured out the hole for the handle i need to cut out, so i did and screwed that handle in place, it works well, it opens the cover up nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Icelander

Icelander Minimodder

Keep on modding and sharing :D

6. S7design

S7design Minimodder

Roger! :thumb:

7. S7design

S7design Minimodder

DAILY UPDATE

Today was also a good day for modding, had load of time to do some work, got on cracking with the coolers top panel,

first installed the radiator, fans and the intake box, so i have my exact position, it was really nice seeing the fans once more they do look awesome

[​IMG]

measured out the hole and went in for another cm, so i have a lip to glue he mesh under and to eventually put a LED strip in here to light things up

[​IMG]

and a hole is born, and the fans can not suck all the good air in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is where my first challenge came into play, the top left corner has the indented part, the indent that would help you open up a case, but in my case it's a problem as i planed to put the mesh under neath the cover, and the indent is preventing that . So figured ti at least hide it with some trim peaces, but still would not be able to put the mesh correctly on.

[​IMG]

any way i took out the trusty trash can and to sacrifice the last good side for the intake mesh, here you can see the indent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well i could not leave it like that and i figured if i cut it and beat ti with a hammer, so that all sides are flat i got the mesh sorted, but i would have a cut panel. I figured that this could be welded up, grinded down smooth and i would be sorted, but when we took a welder to the sheet it just burned a hole in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So went to plan B, kept the trim now to hide the burn marks and added trim all around the hole. Ill super glue the panel to the trim and get some support from that, the panel actually has to carry its own wait and looking at it now it's OK, the panel closes and opens normally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the final design of the top top panel, the bottom trim peace kinda got away as i was moving the case around, ill glue that in once i paint all the peaces, at the trim and the panel will be different colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now in my night session i wend on preparing the front of the case, where i had to cut out the peace for the temp, gauge wire that will go down to the reservoir, and made a grove in the back of the 3 foamed PVC panels that make up the S7 logo, had also to drill out holes for the screws that hold the front panel on and also drilled the holes for the front panels braces

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to the pack panel, well i did not even give it any thought what i could do with it, was so concentrated on all the rest, also the original back cover has a dent in it at the top, so ill have to find the other panel to see if that one looks any better

[​IMG]

the idea i got from the top of my head is to cut out a portion of the case and put a acrylic sheet it to make window, so that the acrylic water path's can be seen also from the other side, but to do that i would need to cut up the mobo tray even more and not sure how much the cuts would weaken it, apart from that will have to do some brain storming, as i really did not even think about the back panel :)

[​IMG]

8. S7design

S7design Minimodder

DAILY UPDATE

back in action today, but more in a thinking mode, thinking on what to do with the back panel, the infamous black panel of doom. It looks really hideous, hate the little vent holes and also the middle part that is sticking out a bit, or you could say that the other part is depressed in, how you wana look at it :D

[​IMG]

and i got a idea to combine the mobo tray with some acrylic. first i tried to see how the rivet would hole the acrylic or if it would damage it, but it ended up looking and holding good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So looking at the back of the mobo tray i marked out a section that i would want to cut out and replace it with acrylic. The acrylic will serve as a holder for the water paths as well as for the power cable holds. And also would be a "window" for the back cover, I have only 6mm of space between the back of the mobo tray and the back cover, so fixing in a window with screws to the back of the cover will not be a workable way to make it. I may end up putting mesh across the back cover opening will see how it will turn out. And on the top of the panel ill cut out a hole around all the little went holes and put in a indented panel of how i would call that. I have 1.5 cm between the PSU and the back cover and would make a foamed PVC plate with 5mm spacers and glue that on the back cover. and on the foamed PVC panel get stickers with the text " Raised from the dead" and maybe have this compartment LED light up. That 's what i got for now smile.gif need to get some more acrylic sheets tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. S7design

S7design Minimodder

DAILY UPDATE

Got some acrylic today and got ready to cut cut cut the mobo tray. I was pretty nervous about cutting this up not to lose and structural stability of the mobo tray and so on. I did actually see online some one selling the exact same case with HW inside for €50 so if i screwed something up i could still get another mobo tray for € 50 :D

any ways i got a acrylic sheet and a mobo tray and i have to join them up into one peace

[​IMG]

placed the mobo on top to see till where it reaches and the 3 little marks are the dimensions of the mobo, i wanted to made a seamless bond and went a cca 1 cm inside the mobo lines, said my last goodbyes to the mobo tray and hoped for the best

[​IMG]

And the mobo tray now has a split personality :D did leave a lip at the bottom as the case has some hooks on the bottom to secure the mobo tray in place so left that, and also the whole tray is curved at the top so that seems to be giving enough stability to the whole thing

[​IMG]

The mobo and the whole sheet of acrylic, measured of the top an cut it

[​IMG]

did cut it so that it firmly fits in the mobo tray, and for now it dose no seem ill have to rivet the two pieces together. May do it at the end just for safety sake, aslo had to cut out one peace of the tray that was indented and it kept pushing the acrylic out

[​IMG]

and the first view thru the window :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

now the fun bit, measuring out the cutouts. On the top ill cut out the went holes and put in a foamed PVC sheet, on that sheet i'll order a orange text sticker with the text " Raised from the dead" and ill probably close that off with some mesh. and then the big part is to let the water paths be seed the power cables as they will make their way down here. the bit on the bottom right will be also a foamed PCV sheet at the back with the S7 logo and maybe some text like powered by S7 design or something in that manner will see, but for sure there will be some text or logo here.

[​IMG]

so with my last metal cutting disk and my fake dremels power lock button working i went on cutting out the big window. ended up using up all of my cutting disk even the ones that i kinda left for cutting if smaller things, the disk were half way used up and i used up 3 halfs and a whole one. I hope that the disk arrive latest friday so i can continue cutting this out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as soon as i finished i popped the case cover on to see what i have done, if my visions were ok. And ok they are, im very pleased with the window, there is practically no more room between the acrylic and the case cover, to it dose act as a window and a mobo tray at the same time, a 2 in 1 deal :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i also bought some rubber U channels to make the window look more realistic and also to cover up the cut edges, but i must say i did mange to cut them peaty straight this time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. S7design

S7design Minimodder

DAILY UPDATE

back in action but with missing tools, the metal cutting disk did not arrive so i had to go and to something else, because i could not finish the back panel.

Decided to go see what awaits me in the cable management division, but also here im missing some bits. I had only 3 cable ties and also the special cable holds did not arrive yet.

So tied up the cables with the 3 ties, to see where im at, but im not exactly liking what i see here, i hope it will not come to the worst case scenario that ill have to cut the original PSU cables down to size to be able to fit the cables like i intended

[​IMG]

Adding the extensions to see the whole mess :D so the cables need to take a curve to their left and line up so that the go down the window in lines of two. The special cable combs will do that, but still waiting for them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing i could do is to make a bracket that will hold the PSU connectors in place. took some foamed PVC and measured out 2cm wide strips and also some spacers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the bracket but need to be able to open and close it so i drilled holes and then tapped a thread in them so i can screw on the top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super glued the bottom of the spacer to the bottom of the bracket

[​IMG]

This is how the bracket will hold the connectors, but of course this are not the correct ends. And ill super glue the bracket to the panel in the top of the case

[​IMG]

A SPECIAL NOTE

When my Instagram account reaches 1500 followers Ill be having a giveaway of a fully custom made 24 pin cable, it will be 25cm long and the lucky winner can chose the color of the paracord sleeving. Ill list the color later on.

So come follow me and join in the giveaway

[​IMG]

11. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Taking mesh from waste basket it's always a good idea :D:clap:

This is old modding style :lol:
    The WS frame would be "cleaner" if you go with flat head screw

[​IMG]

12. S7design

S7design Minimodder

Yes the trash can really cam in handy :)

About the window frame, well i can not exactly screw the acrylic to the panel as the acrylic is a part of the mobo tray and acts as a window :D a 2 in 1 deal i have 7 mm of space from the back of the acrylic to the cover, and i can not screw that in, could put some spacers u guess, but as this is still a "Raised from the dead" im liking the rubber U channels more and more :) As they bend in the corners and five a nice arc to the corners instead of having them at 90 degrees as i cut them out

May be on my next build ill use your advice

13. S7design

S7design Minimodder

DAILY UPDATE

Finally my order came in, and i got my Dremel 3000 and the extra cutting disk, also picked up some wire stripes, these have a notch inside so you can set it to always get the same length striped.

[​IMG]

My hake Dremel on the left and the new one on the right. Right out of the box i see the quality of the original Dremel is superior to the fake and also it nicer to hold and lighter, so of course had to give it a test run right away.

[​IMG]

So got on cracking with cutting out the top window, and have to say it a pleasure to work with the new Dremel so much more steady and easy to use, should have got it before :D

[​IMG]

Now with the cut made here we are. Made also the foamed pvc sheet that will be covering up the hole and where the name of the project will be

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now down to the bottom part, i cant quite make up my mind on how to make this work, want to cover up the mobo tray , and also have a white panel to put on my logo and some text, but can not think of a good way of joining the acrylic and the PVC at the seem. measure if out bellow but i ended up not making a good straight cut, dont know why i did not use the say and went for the Dremel.... Should have moved the seem a cm to the right and then i could have used a trim peace like on the cooler box to hide the seem...

[​IMG]

Put on the rubber U channel to see how it will look on the top and i quite like it, think that ill hold on to that idea, and then ill super glue the pvc panel to the back side of the U channel, for the lower part im thinking of buying a new acrylic sheet and cutting it out so that it will cover up the whole bottom cut out and then i could make a sticker and pop it on so to hide the mobo tray, Or may put the sticker on the inside of the acrylic so to still get the window effect. Have to think about that one a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

It' not a critics ;)

15. S7design

S7design Minimodder

no did not take it as a critic :)

16. S7design

S7design Minimodder

DAILY UPDATE

got on cracking with the OCN flame logo tunnel so it can cover up the space between the case and the outer metal sheet.

But first of all have to make a back cover so that the inside of the cooler box is not seen and to give the orange coolant even more white color so it can pop out more

[​IMG]

started of by measuring and cutting it to size,and also measuring out the center of the holes for the fittings. Had to make a larger hole to fit the compression fittings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next was to cut out the L bracket so that it did not interfere with the bottom foamed pvc piece, Got that sorted out and had a perfect window to work the frame around. Did cut the L bracket 3 mm wider in each direction and 3mm lower so that the peaces cold fit snugly all around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of to making the tunnel, need 3 cm wide pieces, did not take many pictures of the tunnel making as i got so into it that i forgot. The only thing is that i had to cut in a edge into the bottom peace so that it would fit over the L bracket, the metal sheet and to be flush with the top of the trim. Wanted to super glue all the paces in place but made the cuts a bit bigger and the peaces stay in place by there self.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the end product, see only now that i have to cut down the top peaces for a mm so that it will line up with the cut on the case perfectly. other then that very happy with the tunnel :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put a LED on the logo to see how it would look, but there is a ugly mark left from gluing so will leave it with out the LED

[​IMG]

Here are two video's first with no LED the second with the LED

https://igcdn-videos-c-7-a.akamaihd...6-16/11389509_364424090417967_331019215_n.mp4

https://igcdn-videos-b-19-a.akamaih...-16/11394521_1583500958584679_583744611_n.mp4

17. S7design

S7design Minimodder

DAILY UPDATE

I was not happy how my window came out and also using the white foamed PVC did not do it for me after i had some time to think it over. Decided to go to the store and get my self a bigger panel of acrylic and make the window in one peace, so that all the bottom cut outs are under one sheet of acrylic to give it a clean look.

[​IMG]

measure, cut, grind and presto a new window is born
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting on the side panel. And now im like what i see. Now there is no room in to fit in the foamed PVC piece in the bottom right corner so im thinking of making a sticker that will stick on to the back of the acrylic. It would have a white background and orange text " modded by S7 design" and on the top cut out it will be in orange text " Raised from the dead"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did also try different positions of the LED and also the non clear withe ones, but as soon as the light hits the acrylic the spot on the OCN flame just shows up. Seems the acetone i used to glue it all together just did to much damage. But at least it dose not show up when its not light up.

As im still stuck with no cable holds ill now continue work on the cooler box, need to mount the feet and also cut down the corner brackets to size. And then start to prep it for painting.

18. pcdesks

pcdesks What's a Dremel?

Hey man, loving reading through this again :) swear i've seen it somewhere before;) i'd forgotten about your bin destroying tactics, did make me chuckle

19. Herodj95

Herodj95 What's a Dremel?

Good job so far! :thumb:
    It is a long time since I'd seen more use seals for windows *little tear*

PS lately i'm seeing many rubbish bins devastated :sigh::D

20. S7design

S7design Minimodder

Hey, good to see you here, i started my thread here a month ago so this one is a bit short compared to the original one :) Hope to see your's up soon :thumb:

oh the cans it is a real trashcansageddon out there :D

Thanks man, really appreciate it :thumb::thumb:

well i find it fitting to use the seals here it is being raised from the dead any way, so we bring the seals back with it :D Was thinking of using the same trim peaces as i did on the cooler box but decided against it, and also the thickens of the seal is just right to press on the acrylic window to hold it in place better, now its held by the mobo tray up top and in the channel in the bottom of the case, so this will press it in a bit more to stay put :D

When i'll make a new mod and install a window in it i promise i wont use the seals :D

it seems the trash cans actually are now serving their main purpose in life, of being PC grills :D well if it was not for the cutting it would be a more humane use of them as no one will trow trash in them again :D