Computer Crashing

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by hydro_electric_655, 18 Apr 2007.

1. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Started last night, the computer crashes, no image on either screen and the blue on light stays lit and it eve says occasional hardrive activity. My dad and I are leaning towards a dieing harddrive, 24/7 for many years sigline machine. I can answer questions if need be. NEED URGENT ATTENTION! This is my only machine and I have some computer based class assignments that I need to work on at home. :confused:

It usually crashes after about 15 minutes of use after restart multiple times, which has so far gotten it to boot. Hard Resets turning off the power strip and then turning it on a miute later, it's really given me hell, so far it has crashed twice last night and this morning. I haven't changed any settings or updated any software, completely out of the blue.

2. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

It could be the hard drive (replacing it with a known working drive is the only way to tell for sure)... but you might want to run some HDD checking software first - such as HDD Scan (it's FREE) :idea:

However... since the system restarts every 15 minutes or so... it could also be heat related, or a problem with the PSU :confused:
    Check that all the fans in the system are running properly (including case fans, PSU fans, and the fan on your HS+F/graphics).
    It would also be an idea to take the HS+F off, and clean both it and the CPU/re-apply thermal paste?

3. kitt

kitt Michael Knight

possibly video card if everything seems to be working but no image.

have you made sure any of the cables to the monitor are secure and have no come out? Talking of which, it could be ur monitor, if possible try your monitor on a different computer (or your computer on a different monitor).

let us know.

4. Lenny_Nero

Lenny_Nero What's a Dremel?

Have you looked into the 'Event Viewer' (right click on my computer icon and 'manage') to see if its telling you that something is having a problem, or causing errors ?

I would be looking at a lot of other things before the hard drives, PSU, temps, when was the last time the box got opened up and cleaned ?

5. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Opened it up wednesday and yesterday, sealed it up last night ran a couple of virus tests and it seems to be holding up ok, about 11 hours so far. Haven't connected to the internet yet though, saving that for tonight, we also bought some software for backup and such and a WDpassport 120 gb, for said backups, although it's soo sexy I don't really want my whole system on it. I will backup the computer onto the secondary SATA harddrive from the IDE drive everything is on. I have some HDD backup thing that I can't remember the name of. I won't be able to update you guys till monday if something goes wrong (school) but maybe sooner if all goes well. Everything seems to be in working order for now, the graphics is at it's stupidly high
    70 C the CPU seems to be around 45C but thats always been that way. I'll check what you guys suggested.