1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

You ought to change "Still thinking" to "Still awesome"!

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Love this stuff! Bookmarked.

Seeing the video card like this, wondering if it is possible to add another card 'mirrored' to the current card.

3. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Yes! Add another card side-by-side (so, not on top of, but besides) to the card already installed. This would have the positive effect that it'd cover more of the "ugliness", as you so eloqantly put it. ;)

4. MarcosLFV

MarcosLFV What's a Dremel?

Wow!!!! :jawdrop:

Awesome work!

Congratulations!

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

DPUltra: "Water-based solution."
    So it's the same as all the other pre-mixes on the market.

I hope this one transforms. A transformer is the only way you can top yourself at this point.:D

6. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Very nice re-make Attila. Always thinking ;) Will make for a very clean "spine" if I see this right.

7. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wow a new part, this is perfection brother! Mod on I am watching carefully!! :)

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

love the redesign.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

TMC Industries reclaims it and sells it a bit cheaper.

Anyway, outstanding mod! :thumb:

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Nice too see you up and running again Attila, I have been eagerly following this one on your page and was just waiting for it to pop up here aswell. The Alu work is awsome as always and I can imagine it took some time to mill out those chanels by hand.

good luck

11. Rodrigo Vicentini

Rodrigo Vicentini What's a Dremel?

nice work dude =D

12. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

Attila, dude, your work is inspiring to say the least...

but your logs kill me!!! i need more updates!!!

hahaha

13. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

The key to good water blocks is surface area. The more area you can provide for contact between the water and the copper, the better. Your design doesn't need to be that fancy or go in to the very fine range (ie Swiftech XT). Try something like this:

[​IMG]

That will improve your surface area quite significantly. The other thing you have to consider is flow. This shouldn't be much of an issue but it is something to keep in mind.

This block that I built a long while ago (~2.5 years?) came close to a Swiftech GTX when cooling a OCed E6600 and based on the matrix design shown above. Do note that the tolerences were much tighter in the below block. Took me about 6hrs to build using hand tools.

[​IMG]

mounted, and still running fine (pic is old and no water btw, don't have recent pics as I'm at college)!

[​IMG]

Yes, I know it's mixed metals, but I ran 50/50 mix of ethlyneglycol and water. Is it pretty? Hell no! Does it get the job done? Why, yes, yes it does: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=670480 Temps were in the mid 60s IIRC. Prime 95 stable for like an hour or so.

That is correct. Run 50/50 mix and you should be fine.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2011
  14. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks a lot everyone! :) I hope you have as much fun following this as I'm having building it.

And thanks for all that info shadow. :thumb:

Yes you can mount another card, in fact you can use all the expansion slots with more extenders. You just have to plan carefully the mounting of the extra cards.

Not transform but will open up nicely. ;)

Haha, you got it, this part is the backbone of the whole design.

I've been pretty busy lately but that hasn't stopped me in the past. :hehe: What has slowed me down is waiting for various parts. Also, I've re-fitted out Na'ir with some new hardware that is documented elsewhere. Another thing slowing me down has been the following.

Massive cock-up with the GPU block. :duh: When I made the block, the part was measured up without taking the extender into account. The pic below illustrates what I mean.

[​IMG]

So I've asked my friend at work to cut out the basic shape and I'll have to re-cut all the features. This has a step over the connector, It's a bit more bulky but meh. :rolleyes: There's plenty of time to pretty it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't really have a lot of time today so decided to just mount the fans to the radiator.

[​IMG]

Running short of bench space. :hehe:

[​IMG]

OK, I've read several times now that it's a good idea to mount the fans a little away from the rad. So taking into account how much room I have to play with, Some spacers were made from some alu tube I had in my stock pile. This fits neatly inside the 'leg' of the fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That works well so twelve were cut and filed to size.

[​IMG]

And this is the assembly. Another bracket will be made to fit this assembly to the rad compartment that will be sealed off from the rest of the case. I've changed the orientation of the rad from the SU drawings and it will sit sideways, sucking air in from one side and exhausting from the other. Lots of fins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I'm on about fans, Some air flow will need to be created across the mobo/gfx card. To keep a low profile I've decided to use three eighty millimetre fans although these ones are just for planning and I will use something prettier later.

[​IMG]

But I have to go and put another load of washing on. See you soon. :)

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Wow the rad looks gorgeous with those fans & spacers & :hehe: at the build hanging :D, nice solution for the gpu cable.
    Awesome update Attila :thumb:.

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I'm not sure just spacers would work for rad fans. You might want to try a shroud of some sort.

Works coming along nicely, looks great. :)

17. asura

asura jack of all trades

Manufacturing genius, and capable of basic domestic chores? Next he'll be telling us he can cook! ;)

Looking good, shame the GPU block got fat, but needs must.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

A shroud is to keep the air focused & I can see it being difficult to keep the nice look it already has with a shroud, maybe some kind of nicely filed wooden pieces that fit inbetween the spacers & just below the fan frames, not sure on how they would attach but could look absolutely sweet :naughty::D.

19. awratten

awratten What's a Dremel?

WOW, Love the Radiator...

so you can't get a PCI extender that sticks out the other side???

20. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Sweet rad:thumb:, wont half the air just get pushed out the sides though?