1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Core i7 3537U vs i5 3337U - laptop spec needed please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phinix, 25 Sep 2013.

1. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

I've actually been looking at buying an XPS 13 for the last few weeks, and there's no point in buying one now, when a Haswell refresh is rumoured to be just round the corner (the current models ship with Ivy Bridge CPUs).

With databases, your bottleneck will likely be your software (traditionally, it would be your storage, but SSDs alleviate that). I'm unsure if Access is built for multi-threaded use (from what you've posted, I doubt it), so if you're hell-bent on getting the best possible performance, the higher clock of the i7 may be what you need.

In any case, my advice is to wait until the XPS 13 is refreshed with Haswell chips, or go with a Haswell-based Ultrabook like the Sony Vaio Pro 13 or Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus (the updated Series 9) - the latter only comes with a poky 128GB SSD in the UK though.

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I have no problems on m Aspire S7, but others have said the things on it are too small :D.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Next week Dell will have available Haswell Ultrabooks - new Inspiron 7000 series.
    They will have 14 and 15" models, need to see the prices on those. They will have 1080p res and SSDs.

[​IMG]

4. CraigWatson

Awesome, thanks for the info - though I'm unsure if these are "Ultrabooks" per se (they look too thick for the official Ultrabook label) and the UK Dell site only lists the 15" and 17" versions, so hopefully they won't forget us with the 14" version.

On pricing, the US Dell site has the 14" at $849, so if they do the usual OEM crap and change the Dollar sign to Sterling, it shouldn't be too bad, though that said, the US models don't have SSDs, just a 5400rpm HDD.

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I would like to have this i7 14" version. It says $999, wonder how much it will be here?
    I hope it is possible to swap this hdd with ssd after I buy it.
    I would need 256GB SSD, that would be another £110 excl vat.
    Let's hope this i7 version end up for around £700.

This XPS 13 with ivy is fine, I saw that i7 4500U is basically same as i7-3537U.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Anyone know what panels do those laptops have? 1080p touch panels - would it be IPS?
    I read they have the 160-degree viewing angle. That doesn't sound like ips...

7. faugusztin

There both TN and IPS 1080p panels unfortunately. You have to check the reviews.

(I am personally waiting for HP Spectre 13 x2 - passive Haswell tablet with detachable keyboard with extra battery).

Last edited: 29 Sep 2013
  8. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I'm also looking at the new dells. They look pretty good to me but since I don't really need one right now I might just wait for the XPS line to be refreshed and also have you looked at the lenovo t440s. It has the same specs but with a matte 1080p IPS screen. Also lenovo will probably have the support you need and it comes out a bit lighter than the dell and most of the insides can be user replaced.

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Lenovo t440s - why it doesn't have F keys?
    Do we know when will it be available and for how much?

10. faugusztin

It does. Via Fn. It is "cool" to save on keys these days. Because no one uses arrow keys (so they can be half size, ideally with PgUp/PgDown glued to them) or F1-F12 (because using Fn is cool), right ? :)

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Haha:) Cool:)

CPU wise...
    I'm wondering - this ivy or haswell i7 CPUs - 4500U and 3537U - dual core, 2GHz with turbo boost to 3GHz.
    Would they be a big difference in everyday work compared to desktop i5-2400 3GHz quad core?
    I'm only worried about MS Access work...

12. faugusztin

Again, they are pretty much the same thing as desktop i3, maybe a little bit better/worse depending on the situation.

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Right.
    Would you suggest anything more powerful? Are there any laptops with more powerful CPUs?
    I'm worried about this turbo boost - it kicks in when CPU needs higher clocks, but will turn off when its too hot - does it mean that if I run something power consuming for long enough to make CPU hot, it will drop to default speed even if the job is not finished?
    Sorry for a dumb question, but I don't use laptops and have no idea how those new CPUs work...

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

For the powerful end of the laptop cpus you're looking at either the 'Mobile Workstation' or high-end gaming type laptops... neither of which are cheap... ultrabooks are almost certainly the wrong thing to be looking at for constant cpu intensive stuff

as for turbo, and thermal throttling, it ultimately depends on the cooling ability and layout of the laptop's internals... personally i've never had a laptop cpu throttle due to heat [though over time it did cause the casing to warp on one], but I've always ensured the fans/vents are clean and that the bottom of the laptop has airflow... [raised slightly off the desk]

15. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I believe it has something called Fn Lock (could be another laptop though) which means you can choose between defaulting to Fn function or the F1-12 keys.

For US, it should be released late october with the base model at $1150' so I imagine the one people will want with the 8GB Ram and i7 with a HD screen will probably be around the $1500 depending on what the bas model is.

16. faugusztin

Well yeah, i was talking in general. Seems like Lenovo at least kept the buttons (albeit with minimal labels), Acer in case of Aspire S7 got rid of them completely and has F1-F10 on the numerical row via Fn :D.

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I got a nice spec for Latitude 6430u Ultrabook.
    With i7-3687U, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM and 14" HD+ (1600x900) for £780.
    Sounds and looks nice I may go for it.

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I saw today new XPS series was announced, but pretty expensive.
    XPS 13 has 2560x1440 res!:eeek:
    ..and XPS 15 has over 4K !

19. CraigWatson

Do you have a link to the press release or model numbers/codes? Have a distie friend that may be able to help me out :)

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Don't remember where I saw it. Just google it - it's there, even with prices...

Are there any quad core 14" laptops that don't weight a tone?