1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Corsair 400 Case Mod Project: "Tribute to SERENITY firefly" ...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 11 Oct 2011.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Nice tip, I will check it out, would save time instead of laser engraving some things in the future! Thank you!

Worked on the bezel and Mini Toggle Fan Controller faceplate today, now showing a bit of usage.... (wire bristle brush...hehe)

[​IMG]

dabbed Aluminum Silver paint around the I/O openings, then lightly scuffed it with scotch brite pad, to create illusion of exposed steel beneath the paint...

[​IMG]

The "Tribute to SERENITY firefly" PC will be at Corsair's Suite at 2012 CES

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Nov 2011
  2. mnpctech

I'm going to try printing the graphics from the Serenity PDF on adhesive printer paper.. I've pasted different sizes, I won't be using all of these, just wanted a variation for experimentation. The clarity and sharpness isn't detrimental, since the surface and edges will be weathered with airbrush, then cleared with matte clear...
    [​IMG]

3. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Those graphics reminds me of wipeout. I really like it and can't wait to see it printed and pasted :)

4. mnpctech

Yeah, they do remind me of Wipeout! :D .....I haven't tried this before, so I'll let ya know how they turn out....

5. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

Don't you think that it would look more, what's the word? Authentic if you'd scratches that reaches over the case and the fan control. I guess that it would be hard because of the case being plastic and the fan control aluminum. But I'm positive that you can figure it out.

On the other hand, The ship is made out of scrap parts, so they could have just used it from an other ship.

Whatever Bill, you got this.

6. mnpctech

Yep, and I need to polish the area directly around the switches, as if paint has worn through over time :thumb:

7. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

Have you thought about making a few 'deep' scratches that go through the decals into the base 'metal' of the case? I think it might give it an even more realistic look if some of the scrapes happened 'after' the decals were applied

8. mnpctech

Agreed Nano :thumb: I was planning that for the bezel or one of the side panels

progress work on top panel... the tape over the switch will be cherry on top, when everything is assembled ;)

Switch plates for Red Fighter Pilot Switches, http://www.mnpctech.com/spdprtToggle.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Nov 2011
  9. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

OH THIS IS SO SICK! *ALL CAPS AMAZED*

10. mnpctech

Glad you like it Hannes! The adhesive backed printer paper needs a shot of 3M Super 77 adhesive spray, otherwise they will peel off. I will post more photos of the labels shortly.

11. mnpctech

btw, for anyone wondering about the Avery Sticker Sheets......

product link page,
    http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Pr...t-Paper/Clear-Sticker-Project-Paper_04383.htm

Positives:
    1. Int doesn't smudge. I used Inkjet Printer
    2. Works good on acrylic or plexi windows

Negatives
    1. Dull Color Matte Finish
    2. Doesn't stick well to painted surfaces. (I had to use 3M Super 77 adhesive spray)
    3. Anything colored White in your design, translates to Clear "see thru" instead, once it's printed.
    4. Cost. 10 sheets for $13.99

For this project, which has distressed and weathered theme, they worked great. I could see using them for a custom window design, if youre OK with dull coloring...Otherwise I wouldn't suggest them for anything else.

12. mnpctech

I figured painting a portion of right panel Orange metallic, would compliment the Copper tubing... I also implement CORSAIR 400 into the label for the box. I'm still working on the paint effects around the edges.

[​IMG]

13. mnpctech

The Arabic label from the Serenity Blueprints.. It states "Danger" so I applied it over the intake fans on the access panel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Really lovin' this stuff - the weathering technique with the scotchbrite pad and silver paint works wonders.

15. mnpctech

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing what you did on your project, Mads :D

I want to apply rust effects to some of the edges of exposed steel next...

Check out E.E.L.'s guide :thumb:

Blooddrunken likes this.
  16. CrazyBlade

CrazyBlade What's a Dremel?

Wow. Subbed and then some.

I'm really, really new to all the modding lark, and I love seeing projects like this taking shape. I love the whole retro feel to this - the switches are fantastic.

I'm really looking forward to watching this build progress. Awesome work so far.

17. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

I like the case so far :)

Thanks also for the rusting effect video :thumb:

18. Nutman

19. mnpctech

@CrazyBlade, Thank you for watching and commenting! I'm sure you're discovering that bit-tech is a great community for gaining and sharing knowledge :thumb:

@Blooddrunken, Thank you! :)

@Mads, your link presented another awesome diy paint effects tip, Painting Battle Damage

[​IMG]

20. Nutman

Yeah, there are many awesome painting tips on that page - also Airbrush tutorials, which I'm going to use from now on, since I just bought a dual-kit with compressor this weekend. Looking SO much forward to recieving it and having a go at it!