Cooling Corsair H110i GTX inside 250D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Redbeaver, 4 May 2016.

1. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Hello good folks of Bit-Tech.

So, my old Corsair H80i that was given to me for free by a friend to fit in my system... just died. Not really, the pump kinda died and I tried to fix it blablabla... long story short, I got Intel's stock heatsink on my system.

Now, I don't need a super cooler since I BARELY overclock anyway. Lately, after a few BIOS update, I'm too lazy to fiddle and just hit the ASUS' 1-button "overclock me!", putting my 4670 to 4.2 @1.2V. Full spec in the sig, just remember my case is a Corsair 250D.

Which, for all intent and purposes, works just fine.

What I can't stand, however, is the freakin noise. When I game, it tends to spin up, and I can hear the noise. Now, I usually use my headset, so it's not a big deal..... for me. But since I got this PC in the bedroom, it's a bit of an issue with the missus.

And the bigger problem is when I wake the computer up, my ASUS would go full bloody throttle on the CPU for a good 3-4 seconds and that thing can even wake my daughter sleeping on the next room.

OK, a bit of exageration perhaps, but to give it credit, it's a pretty decent cooler, so kudos to Intel.

Now, I'm in the hunt for a new cooler (air or AIO if I can afford it) that's something <$80USD (basically $100CAD) to kill the noise. The cheaper the better, but that's the most budget I can negotiate with the wife.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for reading!

PS: did I mention my case is a mITX Corsair 250D?
    edit: updated title now that I found my cooler :rock:

Last edited: 10 May 2016
  2. Redbeaver

3. rollo

rollo Modder

depending on your experience with corsair link it will either be love or hate. I personally removed the link. Brought a package with the h115i basically the same thing your getting. Had to put the fans onto a mobo header to control the noise now it's blissful silence.

Sounded like a rocket ship at blast off when connected via the supplied slots.

If you get a good one pump will be near silent even at performance settings.

Tube length is about 50cm so decent for most cases.

If the 250d can fit 2 140mm fans side by side you should be fine. If not it's a modding mission for you.

Also all corsair all in ones run the fans at full speed for a few seconds it's a test thing they do.

4. Redbeaver

Thx for the insight!

Heh. Full speed for a few seconds? That's a bit disheartening, considering that's the worst thing I have on the stock cooler.

I don't mind link or no link. I need something that can cool well silently.

Right now I got the side fans connected to the mobo. Might do the same you did to bypass if there's any issue. My ASUS Z97 is pretty good in controlling those headers.

The 250D can fit 140 fan, but the thickness and "shroud" are what i'm worried about. we'll see tonight then!

5. Redbeaver

Hoooo I just checked the official page of 250D and a few threads in the net.

It does not. It officially supports up to 240mm rad on the side.

Awwww SWEET this gonna be a nice little project. LOL

My dremel has been in hibernation for YEARS!

6. rollo

rollo Modder

More fun surely anyway.

7. Redbeaver

OK. Official count. It does not fit. The problem is not the size of the rad, or the thickness of the rad+fan (yes, those are issues, but nothing a dremel can't fix in 20 min), but the inflexibility and length of the tubes.

The space within 250D does not allow the H110i GTX to fit without modding the AIO itself (detaching the tubes, cutting it, fitting it, reattach, etc.).

It must be outside.

So I tried a couple different design so it doesn't look too awkward, but instead of mounting on the side, I think I'll get it mounted on top, next to the window. It will be above where the CD tray used to be with tubes coming either right at the end of my short ZOTAC GTX970, or through above.

But just mounting it wouldn't be fun! (and ugly) and summer is here! So this will be my pet project for the next couple of weeks. Gotta think of a theme and design, then time to break apart the 250D!

ps: on a side note, that thing cools like crazy! 32-36C idle, and won't break 60 when full load for 10-15 min max. That's at v1.225 vcore for 4.5Ghz.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

9. Redbeaver

Nice.

$35 though? For a shroud?

I'll be shopping for decent mesh for grill, then just ghetto'd myself with some cheap material to make shroud. I don't have tons of tools but I can whip up a shroud. :D

Big problem is clipping the top panel in non-obstructive way to make it as close as I can to look like it comes with the box. Have to think of a clean design........

man i just checked out the build log forum.... :jawdrop: i think my heart just drop a bit lol i can't do anywhere near those guys, but hey, if I can make it so it at least looks like it won't be out of place in a professional business environment, I'm happy :D