Cooling CPU at 84°c but all cores at ~25°

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by improprietary, 13 May 2011.

1. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

I built my pc all the way back... last week and I've found an oddity (apart from calling in Skype on 64 bit :wallbash:) that I did some research on but didn't find anything about really. So if any of you vets would help an ignorant pc user, that would be greatly appreciated! :D

Basically speedfan tells me that my CPUs at 84° when idle, but all four cores are at 25°, is that a bug or a feature I'm unfamiliar with?
    When under load the cpu peaks at 90° and the cores go to 40°. Graphics card (although unrelated) lays on a nice 70° under load, and "AUX" as speedfan calls it lays on 59°

I have reseated the cooler thrice with no difference (with 8 hours of idle time in between) with stock cooler and the Noctua NH-C14 and all the drivers are up to date.

These are the specifications of my build:

mobo: ASUS p8p67-m pro b3, socket-1155
    cpu: Intel i5-2500 3,3GHz 6MB
    ram: Corsair Dominator DHX DDR3 1333MHz 2x 4GB
    gpu: MSI Radeon HD 6850 1gb GDDR5
    PSU: Corsair HX 750W

The cpu cooler is the Noctua NH-C14 which will be replaced with a Thermalright Silver Arrow on ~monday so the air stream is continuous in my silverstone FT03 case.

If this topic has been up before I apologize for adding filler to the forums!

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Try realtemp... sounds like a bug with speedfan.

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

try coretemp and compare all your temps never trusted speedfan to be honest

4. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Usually takes a while for sensor apps to bring in support for sensors that are on new motherboards. I have a likewise issue with P8H67-M Pro, apps such as HWInfo, HWMonitor etc. are reporting either the Motherboard/auxiliary temperature to be at 90c which isn't true.

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

lol core 1+2+3+4= total temp? probably better to use your bios fan settings or use a physical fan controller rather than speedfan.

6. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

Thanks you two, i'll try out both of them.

To speak from a first hand experience, it makes you feel alive again :)

It might have gone confused and tried to do the math yes :p with the new cpu i'm getting pwm fans that i'll control with the bios; I've never used speedfan for configuring those things as i suspect it might go a bit wrong once in a while.

7. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

The BIOS knows best. And it controls the CPU fan. So if the fan is howling like crazy then your CPU really IS as 85 degrees. If not - its a bug.

8. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

But bear in mind when in the bios speedstep doesn't work, so you will not be getting a true idle temp displayed, the cpu will actually be sitting at 3.3Ghz when in there.

Should only be about 40 degrees roughly though, a little less than the 80 or so you are apparently getting :)

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

ah yeah this is an old problem.. you can adjust the temperature offset though to fix in the configure/advanced section

I like using everest

10. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

i never look at speedfans other temps, just the cores which usually seem to be accurate.

i only use speedfan for controlling my fans though. i use realtemp and/or cpu-tweaker for temp monitoring as they are both nicer to look at than speedfan.

the CPU temp reported by the BIOS is always off. its not just a speedstep disable/enabled thing.

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

You could try using HW Monitor, great little bit of software made by the same people as CPU-Z.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

HWMonitor also gives the temperature of each cores individually as well as the CPU's temp. There is such a huge difference in both however that I think the CPU temp can't be trusted. Since it's lower, it must be a sensor in the socket and those are useless. You're better off trusting the core temperatures