1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crackdown 2 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 5 Jul 2010.

1. veato

veato I should be working

Everything said in the review is essentially what I found with the first Crackdown. Then again I really enjoyed the first one! Now I'm wondering though if Crackdown 2 is worth a go or if things have moved on (Just Cause 2).

Maybe when it comes down in price I'll have a punt.

2. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Not a requirement as such, but it's always nice to know how a game stacks up to a previous version so that those who liked said earlier game can decide if they think it's worth a go or not.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Sounds like a five to me:

"A five indicates a product that is satisfactory, but is by no means great. It neither falls short of nor exceeds our expectations on the whole, but it does have some fairly significant drawbacks that you need to be aware of before purchasing – approach with caution."

I've got the Just Cause 2 demo sat on my 360, I'll give it a go when I've got the time. I find for Sandbox games you need a certain level of self-motivation to make the most of them. When it's late and your tired, sometimes a hand-holding game is more preferable. </thought for the day>

4. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

I was going to ask if Joe played the original.
    My other thought is that maybe he missed the target of Crackdown's audience.
    I don't think Crackdown *ever* tried to be Just Cause 2.
    It shares more in common with Saints Row (GTA) + Halo (or even Ratchet & Clank) with some nice humor too.

I *loved* the demo for the first game, but never got to picking it up.
    I have actually been downloading the demo to the sequel over the last few days.
    In all honestly, I think comparing CD2 to JC2 is kind of like comparing flatbread to a doughnut.
    I mean they're similar, yeah, but I don't think they're going after the same things.

At anyrate, I lost my point in coming up with that damn metaphor.
    I just think the game got sold a bit short, but at the moment I have no comparison.

I think six would be a fair number, since that usually is an indication of
    "If you liked the original, here is more of the same."
    Which, with Crackdown, is EXACTLY what I wanted.

5. jokerr

jokerr What's a Dremel?

Just played the demo. Dull, repetitive and offered nothing new over the first game (which I rather liked btw).

What's happened to gaming recently? Where's the new original ideas, I'm bored of playing and paying for crappy sequels! It's enough to make me go retro for a few years to wait out this current trend.

6. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Irony is try an original idea, such as APB, and it gets torn to shreds for not conforming to expectations. Mirrors Edge too largely fell flat because people couldn't immediately place it in a category. If you want to succeed in the games industry the motto seems to be do exactly what the guy before you did, with a new hat.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Pfft. I loved Mirror's Edge and we gave it a glowing review. It was in our Console Top 10 for that year, then the PC version was in the Top 10 the following year.

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I got motion sick just watching the trailer for Mirror's Edge, shame as it looked a really good game

9. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

There's a snake in my boot.