1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Crazy Asus Concept motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 18 Jun 2012.

1. Williz

Williz Minimodder

That is one sexy looking IO panel.

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I actually detest designs like this. Reminds me of a few manufacturers years ago who tried pushing all in one PC's on the market. The PC's were not expandable because the graphics and sound were integrated and connectivity removed. Removing PCIe slots on a motherboard goes against what the PC is all about. It is something you would expect more from apple.

I hope this turkey fails.

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'm chucking money at my monitor but it's just bouncing off.

Williz likes this.
  4. suragh

suragh Derp

Aesthetically it looks really bad, choice of colour scheme is appalling. What on earth were they thinking..

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It looks like they were thinking: Ass rock extreme.

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Because dual 680m's could offer greater performance than a single 680.

"As the top-tier offering in the mobile Kepler lineup, it packs a 720MHz engine clock, 1,344 CUDA cores and a 256-bit memory bus powering up to 4GB of GDDR5 RAM. "

8. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Non-removable parts means replacement of the entire unit if one component fails. I know we already do this with motherboards, but graphics chips are probably a step too far.

9. feathers

feathers Minimodder

How about we go a different route and create the first modular motherboard where different parts of mobo can be changed or upgraded :)

My asus P8Z68-V GEN3 has a useless LAN port from intel that causes the connection to drop repeatedly and the LAN even drops from the hardware list eventually until you restart the PC. Even if you plug in a PCIe LAN card and use that, you will still get the dropped connections until you disable the onboard Intel LAN. No bios updates or LAN driver updates correct the issue. Perhaps a board design fault. A modular mobo where u can unplug the onboard LAN module for example.

10. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Theres probably a reason why it's just a concept :).

Every time I read the word integrated I immediately lose interest lol.

11. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

*cough* Playstation 3 *cough* Xbox 360 *cough*

A pair of 7950's or 7970's in a package like this is more than adequate for the average person, throughout the expected average lifetime of a "Family" PC. But it gives the benefit of a small form-factor platform with a small physical foot print. The very fact that it's thin and wafer shaped means it could live behind your LCD monitor via a VESA mount or similar.

It's also no different from "all in one" PC's either. So I'm not sure what the fuss is about. It's a proof of concept, nothing more- and given that nobody else out there has the balls or imagination of Asus- we should be applauding them for throwing out crazy ideas like this, and their MARS cards for the enthusiasts to suck up.

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I'd rather see a range of hybrid air/liquid cooled mobos and GPU's... a 680 air cooled but comes with g1/4 fittings for liquid cooling rather than trying to make a PC into a console.

13. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Lol

What is wrong with black and gold? I thought everyone loved black PCBs, thus explaining the proliferation of them.

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

ASUS said PCI-E gen 3.0, which would mean AMD, as nVidia won't certify Intel's PCI-E 3.0 as 3.0, but rather as an advanced subset of 2.0. I'm paying attention here.

15. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I would add that the board has 1 x 8-pin and 1 x 6pin power for the GPUs. The only current generation to need that much power at stock (according to refernce specs) is the 7970, with some custom 680's using the same power inputs. So I would think it most likely that the board will have 2 x 7970 onboard. I consider it highly unlikely that the board would have that much power for even a pair of 7950.

16. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

I like integration. I like this concept. I hope it's using M versions of the GPUs, instead of full ones. I wouldn't mind a series of motherboards packing only high powered mobile GPUs in them. It's an interesting concept, as mobile GPUs offer excellent performance for their power and heat profiles. I certainly wouldn't mind a micro-ATX motherboard that cut out a couple features to hold a 7970m or 680m, that would work great for a LAN machine or somesuch.

17. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'd be interested in something like this if they cut down the specs and made it some kind of AIO HTPC board. M-ATX Form Factor would be great for this.

18. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Isn't that what Llano's for?

19. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Perhaps. but Llano isn't as crazy powerful as this solution. I'd love to see some form of Lucid-style switching, though. Embed a high-end mobile GPU on the board, and have a 16X port on the board that's disabled while it's active. Means you can still upgrade, but the fallback is still pretty awesome.

Would also future-proof the board a bit, as you'd wind up just sticking a new GPU in, rather than needing a whole new motherboard to play with.

20. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Maybe an AIO GPPC(General Purpose PC) would be a better way to put it. Something that can game at 1920x1080 with high settings, but with less space/heat/power usage.