1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Crysis 2 DirectX 11 patch dated

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Jun 2011.

1. feathers

feathers Minimodder

"
    Despite a community that is abusive and generally illiterate (just check their forums) they have supported the game with numerous patches and now bring us a real treat." - LOL. I would tend to agree. We exist in a world of complainers. I have complained about crysis 2 myself but only because they failed to make it work in SLI and when they released the demo it had auto aim enabled on PC version which just goes to show how much of a console port it was. Nevertheless, even in DX9 the graphics are impressive.

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

It was an alright game. It wasn't good, it was satisfactory. It was CoD but with the power suit. I did finish the game, which is actually saying something, but I don't have any vivid memories of any awesome parts, nor do I ever think I will play it ever again. I suppose it was fun, but it was a very basic kind of fun. Just never really though "OH SNAP" while playing it.

Some of the effects were very good, agreed, but please don't ever say the graphics are amazing. They halved some C1 textures, and pasted them in to C2. They also made many of the interactable (as in explosions and bullets hitting them etc) objects in C1 totally static in C2.

The only reason people were blown away by the graphics was because it came out on consoles, where, to be fair, it does look damn awesome compared to the competition. At the end of the day though, I think what they added is quite nicely overshadowed by what they took out. There is no way the game looks amazing.

I don't tend to go on game forums because I find they are all the same (basically all of them are like the one you describe), and while I do find that a lot of people seriously over reacted to the disappointment of C2, a lot of it is also fully justified. Even if they had said that they really don't care about PC from the beginning, at least no one would have had any false impressions. But the fact is Crytek constantly reassured the PC fans that it was going to be amazing, and would be the best game they ever released on PC. Which was utter ********. I think that caused a lot of the anger, but the criticisms would have still been there regardles.

So I am sorry, but it was guilty of a lot more than not raising the bar. It is guilty of lowering it, severly in some cases, and I'm not just talking graphics here. The PC version was a mess. FOV, "Push Start". It happens a lot in all games on PC, it's just how it is. But the fact that Crytek were held up as a beacon of PC gaming really stung a lot of people when we realised it really is just a console port. Hell, if the FOV was right from the start, and for the PC version they didn't bother halving the textures, it would have gone a long way to improving people's opinions.

I mean, think about it, they consciously, explicitly decided to half the old PC textures for use on the consoles. Fine, makes sense. I would have done the same. The more people playing Crysis the better, as it means I get more games, and I know concessions have to be made to get it on the consoles. No butthurt whatsoever. But to then use the same textures on the PC version makes no sense. Surely it wuld have even been easier for them to put the old textures in, just a straight swap. Hardware is vastly improved nowadays, I'm sure people could take it. But no, it's laziness, because the only reason they wouldn't do that is because that would require treating the PC version seperately.

Obviously though, this only came to light some time after release. But when you load up the demo and it says "Press Start", you know they ported it before you even play. Crytek, doing a console to PC port. It felt like being stabbed in the back. WTF was that ****. Those two words weren't the problem, it's what they meant that was the problem.

3. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

It seems like almost anything that can be considered an FPS can be considered "CoD but with...[place semi-interesting game mechanic here]". Crysis 2? CoD, but with a power suit. Red Dead Redemption? CoD, but with horses and bandits. Vanquish? CoD, but in space without multiplayer. Left4Dead? CoD with zombies.

Let's face it. it's really, really not CoD with whatever. It's just that--rather unfortunately--the FPS market is so friggin saturated these days that it's very, VERY difficult to release ANYTHING that's not just another clone-with-an-interesting-feature. L4D was one of the last FPSes to bring anything really unique to the table in a loooooooong time. Even BF3 isn't going to be particularly original--don't get me wrong, it's gonna be effin brilliant, just not original.

You know, I was trying to think of a single game in the last 3 years that's actually left a lasting impression on me beyond the moment i played it. Oddly enough, the first thing that came to mind was the walker level in Gears of War 2. It was just SO big, and SO epic. I guess that means that if you're not going to change much from the first in a series, at least make what you do change friggin' GRANDIOSE.

Last edited: 24 Jun 2011
  4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Crysis 2's biggest problem is that it doesnt "feel" right.

the first felt exceptional in the way the movement/mechanics worked, here it feels clunky like cod

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

agree gun.. it's the gameplay that's lacking not the graphics- why I couldn't really get the people who bagged on the original.. thought the physics were spot on- you actually felt like you were in the suit

but we all know why.. they couldn't run it

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

im toying with the idea of starting a mod once the SDK is out called Crysis: Manhatten, an attempt to "un-****" the gameplay/feel of Crysis 2 and make it so much more like a proper PC game.

ive got pages in my notebook down already, i'll get cracking once the SDK is out.

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I do agree that the FPS market is stupidly saturated nowadays, but I disagree entirely with what you said. C2 is CoD with the power suit because it controls, feels and plays a hell of a lot like CoD. RDR plays nothing at all like CoD does, I can't even believe you used that as an example. RDR is open world, third person, mission based and a hell of a lot more dynamic. CoD is one massive set piece, that has many scripted events to make you feel like you are actually in a war, whilst it shoves you down a very linear path. In fact, Vanquish and L4D are so different also, that I am wondering if you are just making a joke. You can't honestly believe that those three games are just CoD derivatives.

So, let's face it, it really is fair to say that C2 is CoD with the power suit. To be fair, the first Crysis was pretty much CoD with a power suit, only they implemented a lot of little things that made it feel spot on. Throwing a Korean in to the air, only to have him land on a shack, caving it it. Or driving a tank through such a shack. Like people have said, the feel of it was just right as well. Everything had the right weight and look when things got ****ed up.

With number 2, they removed a lot of what made it feel so right, and made it control a lot more like CoD so that the masses would eat it up. It is a lot more static, a lot more boring, and the linearity of the game is far more evident than in C1, just because you have these buildings all around you. C1 was quite linear, but was very open in about how you got there. Sure, in C2 you might have the ability to sneak past these guards and what not (which has to be pointed out to players now; that is the level the developers are catering to), but in C1 you had much more freedom. I wonder how much of the decision to move to the city was based on the consoles power...

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

How very apt.

9. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Crysis 2 definitely has Unreal II's knack of referencing other games and films but I was thinking more about one of the really big Ceph villains which resembled Halo's blue Spiky sentries in behaviour and FEAR's large grunts with rocket launchers on one of their arms in looks. To be fair, I wanted to be able to play a videogame version of the film Cloverfield and C2 gets closest in letting me do that. So it's not all bad. Just happy I bought it again after selling it, the modders will make the SP worth a replay, and the original Crysis and Warhead are there to replay whilst waiting for that.

10. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Crysis 2 is great and looks great on my 6990 with three screens!

11. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

it's taken a good dx9 port onto a great DX11 game.
    It now looks how it should of in the first place... Outstanding.
    CoD with a power suit it is not..lol
    a glimpse of BF3 maybe

Tags: Add Tags