1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis Was Terrible

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Jun 2010.

1. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yes, a bad choice. I would be much more receptive to the article if you had added the word "why" at the start. I don't like having someone's opinions shoved down my throat as if they were fact, and the wording of the title - not necessarily the article itself - means the following statement is patently false:

2. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

I thought it was fun. I also liked the story, I'm looking forward to the sequel. It was campy and unapologetic B scifi goodness.

3. Pooeypants

Pooeypants What's a Dremel?

I definitely enjoyed it and I've played it with 3 different graphics cards (8800GTS, 4850 & 5850).

It is a game you play mainly for the eye candy. Whilst I agree with certain aspects of this retrospective, such as the suits being handicapped, I do not feel that I can justify calling Crysis terrible.

Far Cry 2, on the other hand qualifies to be called that...

4. Alf-Life

Alf-Life What's a Dremel?

"All this points to one thing: Crytek are, in my personal opinion, arrogant."

All this points to one thing: the author of this article is, in my personal opinion, arrogant. Or 14 years old.

Arrogant? Really? A company can be arrogant?

There are so many things you are dead wrong about - do you think "making the same mistake twice" or "setting high system specs" were things detailed in the design doc? They are things that snowballed and just happened.
    While most of your comments are ignorant, your attacks on the story, after you yourself say story in a game like this doesn't matter, borders on the vicious. I have no idea what possessed you to waste your time writing something so negative after the fact.

What an embarrassment of an article [for Bit-Tech].

5. robert3892

robert3892 What's a Dremel?

FarCry2 did not use a Crytek engine which is probably the reason it was poorly done. Crysis on the other hand was a game that was written too well and too far ahead of its time. Only today with the Fermi hardware and comparible ATI hardware can we begin to see what the original game was designed to do. There are no better designed games out there in my opinion now 3 years later. The next Crytek engine will simply wow you all.

6. sheepanator

sheepanator lies i know what a dremmel is

Yeah but my computer can run it on full settings so I don't care shut the **** up nerh nerh nerh nerh na.

7. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Crysis doesn't look as good as what it requires.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The X-ray engine could give the CryEngine a run for it's money.

Although I'm not so sure on AI and NPC fronts though.

9. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Maybe, but it depends how it is used.

The opening scene in Call of Pripyat looks quite poor, but in other areas it is fantastic, atmospheric and with the god rays on, it looks fantastic.

The one thing that Cryengine 2 has over X-ray is water effects - they're just weird in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games but sublime in Crysis.

The AI is interesting - Crysis is scripted, but the enemies are quite good at hunting you down. However, A-life in the X-ray engine is very clever, when you consider it has to deal with the wildlife as well as the NPC's - it is impressive how the world could easily carry on without your involvement.

10. Elton

I will concede, the water in STALKER looks like crap, but it's Chernobyl, it's not supposed to be pretty.

As for the rest though, outside of pre-rendered stuff and GSC's chronic lack of hi-res textures, I'd say the X-ray engine is better.

The A-Life is incredible for it's self sustaining AI to be honest.

11. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

No, but the water is supposed to be realistic - it almost looks like it is set to the wrong speed - the surface fluctuations seem to cycle too fast.

The AI in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a large part of what makes it so atmospheric.

What I'd like is an engine that has Crysis' water and breakable terrain, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s AI and gritty looks and Dunia's propagating fire and multi-core optimisations!

12. Elton

Dunia's fire..I'm pretty sure they made a fire mod for Crysis as well. But if they could make the Dunia fires more permanent excellent, coupled with STALKER's AI and Crysis' amazing terrains. Greatness.

I definitively agree, however I'd say STALKER's weather system.

13. Polantaris

Polantaris What's a Dremel?

I just saw this article, a tad late I know, but I just have to say this:

I've been saying this to anyone who mentions the game to me since I played it in 2008. The only thing the game has going for it is it's looks. It proved to me that a game that has pretty graphics makes everyone keel over and suck their thumbs like their mind has been blown into an invisible world of awesomeness. It's really not. It looks great, okay. Since when did that make a game? Not until recently. Some of the best games ever are on the NES, SNES, and even ASCII DOS games. You cannot say that this game beats any of the truly best games from 10+ years ago, it simply does not.

This game's gameplay is simple.
    Run until you see a Korean outpost.
    Kill Koreans.
    Repeat.

It's spiced up by this Suit system which is beyond terrible. You can't even use anything EXCEPT Armor for 99% of the game. The second you lose all your energy you can take 2 shots if you're lucky, with the Armor you can take...maybe 6. So it's a generic shooter with a few temporary cheat codes. How is that amazing? It's not, in the least.

Thank you, reviewer, for finally saying it in an article. I would have, but no one would have read it. I'm happy someone that can get it out there finally had the guts to actually say it, instead of just the random shmoes like me.

14. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Lock'n'Load

Far Cry 2, Crysis and STALKER are my favourite shooters. Currently replaying Crysis: Warhead with some hacks and having a lot more creative fun than I did with Bad COmpany 2, which I'll probably never replay and has made sure I'll never buy a CoD, MoH or the like.

I like developers that try to push limits and do what hasn't been done before, and sometimes it means they fail in other ways, such as bugs, playability or hardware issues. Too many games now are clones of a basic set of mechanics that were pioneered in the 90's.

People "oooh" and "ahhh" over the likes of MW2 or Black Ops with their spoon-fed play-once single player modes and sold on the basis of their well rendered cut-scenes, but games like this are getting torn apart with rabid criticsim for not being open or creative enough?

It's one thing for an average users to flame or fanboy a game they hate or love, but quite another for an informed career journalist with an over view of the industry to come out with this kind of one-sided blogging and call it an analysis.

If CryTek are in anyway accountable, than so is Bit-Tech as you are part of the machine that hypes things up pre-release. No one is forcing anyone to play them or buy them, but there are people that do prefer this style over "corridor movies" normally on offer.

nemo likes this.
  15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

think a lot of the bad press comes from guys who couldn't play the game full up.. the physics are really something else- you have a feeling of being in the suit.. they did a really good job with the animations

far as switching and running out of energy.. all can say is, play a console game and enjoy the auto aim while you become a god.. seems the way things are going, catering to that crowd

I got to play crysis full up on release.. it was on a crt though with a 8800gtx but it was still great, fun christmas 2007.. wish they had kept the 3rd person view when entering the water- they changed a few things over patching.. the opening was a lot darker in the original game also

multiplayer was pretty fun.. the hit detection was a little weird, but sniping wasn't the way to go anyways- keep moving speed speed speed

I remember shooting a guy in the head on speed and his body flew off a ledge but I could have swore I shot behind him =E

warhead was good too I thought.. just play the train level.. if you don't think that's epic, your dead imo =]one of the few games I actually had a buzz by the end.. they seemed to tweak the engine a bit without saccing the quality

16. nemo

nemo Foregone Destruction

+1

This thread (like the original article) is just one big depressing pile of flamebait. Not what we expect from Bit-Tech

17. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

Oh no it wasn't.

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Crysis was an impressive game on many levels. It made many pre-teens angry because Crytek selfishly build the game with current and future hardware in mind. Pre-teen males couldn't understand why a game was being released that didn't run smoothly on their budget to mid-priced hardware. Instead of reducing the graphics setting to accommodate their hardware, the pre-teen males complained bitterly and accused Crytek of "bad programming". Crysis was good for that reason alone as it revealed just how many dumb people there are out there.

Gameplay was pretty good. The game brought a new level of graphical and physics realism.

Tags: Add Tags