1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Culture secretary calls for quicker rollout of cable broadband

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Sep 2011.

1. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

iirc the isp's dont own or maintain the network "(BT) Openreach" do and they have done since 2006 so they have had five years to put fibre down on all repair/maintain jobs. it should have made the case that fibre was needed and presented the case by pointing to every other developed country that seem to be light-years ahead, and prevention would stifle future uk business growth and therefore the future uk economy. a way to get around the anti competition would be to get the regulator of the time to oversee a buy-in of services.

the average joe is going to pay for it. either through higher tax or from higher bills from the companies that privately invest.

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well it's funny because I am on Virgin and now have the 100mb and Youtube run's fine for me now, and did do on the 50mb and below even on my Virgin Mobile.

I did have issues with Youtube but have found that it was only on video's that did not have allot of views on them, but anything that had a shed load of views ran fine as they gave them video's more bandwidth.

I did hear somewhere but cannot remember where that Youtube was caught slowing the speed of video's down, while they were converting them all to HTML 5 which I believe is still going on.

3. scimitar55

scimitar55 What's a Dremel?

Also bear in mind that the government was happy to sell that network and I think you will find that Nynex got government grants to assist it! As for Fujitsu, they are just making a power play as they are loosing all their business to Huawei and have yet to deliver anything in the UK.

4. scimitar55

scimitar55 What's a Dremel?

I think you will find that BT owned a number of the cable franchises from the 1980s and even today owns several of the networks, which it rents to Virgin.

5. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

In the 1980's BT sold of 20 cable franchises, retaining Westminter and Milton Keynes are the only two that appear in news today. Vm abandoning the westminster network and still renting in MK.

Tags: Add Tags