1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory DDR for 2d graphic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hask, 18 Jul 2012.

1. Hask

Hask What's a Dremel?

Which would give the best performance for 2d graphic programs (Illustrator, Photoshop):

1. Corsair Vengeance 2x4Gb 1866MHz CL9 (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9)
    2. Kingston HyperX 2x4Gb 2133MHz CL11 (KHX2133C11D3T1K2/8GX)

Thanks.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You'd never notice the difference. It's really the amount of RAM that makes a difference with Photoshop. What you want to avoid is using a swap file on the HDD. Get whichever is cheapest so you can get MORE of it.

CPU performance is what really matters... and lots of RAM. Technically, the 2133 RAM will be faster... but outside of synthetic benchmarks you'll never ever notice.

Carrie, Shirty, David and 2 others like this.
  3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

i went from cas 9 1333 to cas 11 1600mhz and there was no difference that i could see :(

so , would say IMO cas 9 1866 vs cas 11 2133 would be similar speed wise

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

tbh i think the only difference would be if you were using fast drives & were doing a hell of a lot of intense batch processing where it can cut down on the total time taken for the whole process.

Depending on the version of PS & illustrator that you're using (& assuming you're multi-tasking with various large images on the two, plus using a variety of plug-ins & other bits of gfx software), you may gain more by buying 16GB of reasonable 1600MHz memory...

Well, CS5/5.5 & CS6 can better use memory (albeit that you manually alter the max amount in the former 2 - have only just started playing with CS6) than the previous versions.

Yeah, it's not to say don't buy better memory if you can afford it - well, both Pookeyhead & myself are using 2133MHz memory so we both, independently, saw an advantage for our own usages (for myself that's largely d.t. there being a bit of a gain with video encoding times with premiere & the like - & i also use enterprise SAS drives for source & destination & whatnot to help things) - but about the best use of money if it's more ltd.