1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Dead Space 3 on PC to be straight port, no additional features added

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Harlequin, 24 Jan 2013.

1. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Was there much additional PC content in either of the previous games?

The only thing I recall being discussed was the control problems that some folk had.

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

That's not what I meant. I know Witcher 2 was produced for PC first. My point was that in the design of the Witcher 2, they knew it was going to be ported to consoles and they designed in game-play elements which would be more at home in a console release for 'atypical' console audiences. In terms of an 'RPG', which is what I would consider the Witcher series to be, these elements did not fit for me. I was disappointed with the game because I felt I was being pushed along in a more linear fashion than the previous game. I think they hid this quite well, but it was obvious that there was actually less choice and less 'Role Playing' than the game purported to provide. I think they did what every other game publisher does and made compromises to expand their audience. They didn't do as bad a job as the awful Dragon Age 2, but it was a similar tactic.

Regardless of where the game starts life, if you make design choices to cover PC and consoles then compromises will have to be made. CD Projekt, for me, made the wrong compromises. An example of good multi-platform design is BF3. This game was obviously designed to be multi-platform, however the design concentrated on the strengths and weaknesses of the target hardware resulting in a game that plays and looks great on the PC, but scaled down really well for the consoles. Playing BF3 on an Xbox, you do not get the impression you have been short-changed with game play or graphics, while on the PC you feel as though the game is making the absolute most of the resources available. DICE did an excellent job on this and showed respect to all gamers on all platforms.