1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death of a computer!

Discussion in 'General' started by Bit-widow, 26 Apr 2004.

1. Bit-widow

Bit-widow What's a Dremel?

:waah: :waah: :waah:
    Yes it has happened, my poor poor computer has died rather spectacularly! Turned it on one day after IE had been crashing randomly for no reason and it just would boot, so took out the internet cable and it starts but not very happily. Ran a virus check, ahhh so maybe its the 43 different viruses that are infecting the computer, maybe this is the cause of my problems. Boyfriends dad is a retired computer technician and is hopefully fixing it, hopefully will be back online fairly soon. Missing my internet access :( oh well at least it means i do some work heehee

2. l'edo

l'edo What's a Dremel?

so you weren't running something like Antivir all the time on your computer?

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

There's a moral to this story it would seem... :hehe:

Even if you dont have a virus checker installed, there are some things you can do to make yourself more secure:

A) Set your mail client to only open mail in plain text

B) Never open attachments unless you know the source, and even THEN only if you know that someone is planning to send you something (many worms will hijack your mail client and send random mails with the virus attached without you even knowing).

C) If you don't want to set your client to open in plain text, then always open suspect mails by right clicking and using reply to sender - this will open a reply with the original message in plain text.

D) Never install anything unles you know what it is, especially pop-ups on dodgy websites that insist you install stuff that's "essential to view the site". The exception to this is stuff like Macromedia Flash etc, which you may well need. Whilst it may not be a virus, stuff like this is often adware, or some other data mining piece of crap. One well known online gambling website actually sets up a dial-up networking connection to a premium rate number... be careful.

E) Never accept any files ending in .exe .zip etc unless you know what it is.

F).... but... apart from all this. Install a virus checker.

Apologies to anyone who feels patronised by this obvious stuff, but it's not obvious to everyone.

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

bah that computer is not dead. i was hoping somthing like fire would come out the back like in my old P3 system. :D

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I must admit, I looked at this thread hoping for a tale of messy destruction. :hehe:

6. relix

relix Minimodder

Me too to be honest ;). Explosion!

7. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

yeah, its not dead at all, its just a bit sick... just reïnstall the sucker. as a true windows user , u should have this habbit , for doing this 2monthly (with the old win95/98, this was necessary)