1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Desk Mod: The Blade Desk [5/09- Waterblock update]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bladesingerz, 14 Dec 2011.

1. The Crusher

The Crusher What's a Dremel?

Wow, nice build! :)

Last edited: 11 Mar 2012
  2. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

love it and the earlier mods that gave you inspiration too, kinda makes you want to build ur own one,.... and i do need a new desk! lol
    congratz on a well finished build.

3. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help! Another question. How thick is that MDF? 3/4th or 1 inch?

4. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Thanks man!

Yes builds like Interior Des(k)ign, l3p d3sk and N +H²0 we're a big inspiration for my desk. You should totally make one if you like it! It took alot of time and hair scratching but I got mine almost done. The thing with these builds are, they are never finished, I already did some new things in my desk, like lighting. And i'm thinking of cleaning up the wires even more.

No problem :) I used 18 mm MDF, I think thats 3/4" ? Its a perfect thickness for any furniture building.

5. |-Goku-|

Nice. I think I will try this out. Looks amazing.

I read that you have to seal mdf so it doesn't absorb moisture, is primer and paint enough? I would assume so. Do you need to worry about the edges since they are glued?

6. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Yes water is deadly for mdf, it will lose alot of strenght then. But it will have to rain before it gets into that condition to be honest.
    I painted mine with primer and 2 coats of black (after the 1th coat I still saw the white primer).
    Be sure to sand the hole desk before painting, also use a moist towel to remove any dust from the mdf.

I also filled in some of the cuts that my uncle made for measuring, these were just to deep to fill up with paint. I used basic filler that you can also buy in a hardware store, got no idea what grade or kind it is though, I'll look it up if you want.

I'll send my mail adress if you have any more questions ;) I'm really excited that you will try to build your own after seeing my desk :D

~Blade

7. jaycrow85

jaycrow85 What's a Dremel?

Such a cool idea I love it well done mate

8. PNK_93

PNK_93 What's a Dremel?

hi could you please tell us measurement of the desk , and terrific work mate congrats:thumb:

9. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Thanks! I'm always happy when people like my desk :)

Sure! My desk is 100x65x16,5/17,6 (length x width x height with/without glass).
    I'm happy with these dimentions but I find my desk a little short in length, its one of the small things that I regret in this build.

And thanks for the kind words :)

~Blade

10. wejjy

wejjy Minimodder

Wow, its awesome that you class me as an inspiration mate! Really is a great desk in itself, you have got a really nice looking PC and its a desk, double awesome!

Bladesingerz likes this.
  11. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Thanks! :D You're desk was definitely what got me interested in the first place, It was only logical that I would thank you for that. After all I know have my very own awesome desk :thumb:

12. travisridesbikes

travisridesbikes What's a Dremel?

13. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

Have to commend you on an excellent modding project Bladesingerz!
    It looks amazing, the black and red really complement each other.
    +1 I'll have to remember this, next time I'm starting a modding project...

14. kinghong1970

kinghong1970 Just a Clumsy Ape

dude, nice work but get a vise...
    something about a saw being in close proximity of your nads...

/shudder

:)

15. |-Goku-|

PM'ed :)

16. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Looking good man !

17. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Thank you for the kind words, I'm very happy when others find my project worthy of a post :)
    Oh and Black & Red Cheesecake! :D

Best responce, EVER. :clap:

Thanks!

Thanks, and yeah I'm always carefull not to hurt or break anything, I've seen some bad stuff when it goes wrong :eek:

Update time!

I've been thinking about what to change on my desk next, since I'm happy with most things but some things are just...unfinished to me!

So I've ordered some LED Strips to light up the insides, I got some red & UV, I'm quite unhappy with the UV though, since my fluid doesn't react to it (it should, but I think the UV is just to weak), and also my tubing is lighting up blue. But that will change soon, since I've just orderd some new parts that should arrive in the next week!

Picture time! First off a nice package from IT-Service :)
    [​IMG]

Its the first time I got a package for hardware so I was really excited!
    [​IMG]

Some nice I/O Vents, I'm very happy how they look, very shiny.
    [​IMG]

I also got some Fan connectors, kind of a mis-buy if I look at them now, they are great though, but they will be hidden soon enough.
    I took apart my desk to mount some new stuff, this next picture just blew my mind. Only 5 mounths old, and this much dust?!
    [​IMG]
    Original plug vs new plug
    [​IMG]

After all this was done, I waited a couple of weeks, I then got thinking what to do with the motherboard tray. I have a clearance of 11mm from the glass till the PCB of the GPU. Not enough for a waterblock or power connector to plug into a new GPU. So I first grinded the supports of the backplate down. This alone will give me 6mm, and the backplate itself is 12mm high, this will also be removed for now.
    [​IMG]

I then realised that I have no place for my PSU wiring! :wallbash:
    So I asked my dad for advice and he and I thought of the next thing, drill out a trench for all the wiring, 8mm deep.
    I was pritty scared to just ruin my desk with this though, once you start, you cannot go back!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With that done I made some holes in the side, so I can wire the fans to the hidden back of the desk. The wiring was first on the floor of the desk and this made me creazy.

More updates soon!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 May 2012
  18. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

oooh, i like trenches! :D gongrats to a fantastic desk and really awesome that you keep them updates coming! :D

19. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Yeah you would think trenches would help with the cable routing but it still pisses me off! They always get stuck somewhere, I might have to cut out more to avoid my rage.

And thanks! Always enjoy it when people like my desk :)

20. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Update time!

This week I got some new packages! I've been waiting for them for a while now and was very happy when they arrived!

Package one:
    What would be inside?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crosshair V I chose you! I've been drooling over this board since I first started my desk and finally bought it since my old motherboard had to heat sinks on the VRM. Apparently I was lucky that my VRM's diddn't blow up! I haven't started with overclocking on this baby yet but I've seen alot of good reviews and overclocks on these.
    [​IMG]

Still can't believe how cool it looks, its really better in reality than on pictures!
    [​IMG]

Package two!

[​IMG]

What is inside?
    BitFenix 8 Pin power adaptor - 45 cm - Premium Sleeved Red
    BitFenix PCIe 6-Pin to 6-Pin Cable - 45 cm - Premium Sleeved Red
    13MM (1/2) 90 Rotary Angle Fitting G1/4 - Black Series
    Sharkoon HDD Quick Stand
    13MM (1/2) High Flow Fitting G1/4 - DANGER DEN FATBOY Black Series
    XSPC Bay Reservoir 5.25 - Alu Multi Fronts
    Feser Tube 1/2 ID (13mm ID -19 mm OD ) - 2.5 meter (UV Red)
    9mm FlexSleeve - Carbon Flexo
    [​IMG]

Lets start with the Sharkoon HHD stands, these are normaly to just put on a desk, but when my dad showed me these I started thinking this would be a much better way to lay them inside my desk, untill now they always layed on a absorbing foam.
    [​IMG]

You can even click 2 of them on top of each other, making it a nice tower :)
    [​IMG]

Next up! A XSPC Bay Reservoir, I've been thinking of what to put inside the 2nd 5,25" bay. It first housed a Fan controller but this broke down and so it was empty for last last couple of months, a reservoir seemed like a good idea.
    [​IMG]

Ofcourse nothing is easy with this desk... The fill port is right under the side of the desk... I had to file it down to fill it, or just pull out the reservoir when I needed to fill it, a pritty easy fix.
    [​IMG]

Time to remove all the old tubing and install the motherboard.
    [​IMG]

As you can see the Feser UV Red cooling liquid turned the (very cheap) tubing a bit red.
    [​IMG]

This is the new tubing, it looks a bit orange on this picture, but its light red.
    The sleeved wires also look amazing, the only problem is that the 6pin PCI-E won't fit my PCI-E Connector?! I used a Molex connector connect it to my PSU but I was quite dissapointed by this.
    [​IMG]

Time to install everything! I've looked at it for a good half houre how to best lay out everything, I wanted it to look good and not to crowded.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it for today! I've been working all night to fill it and remove the air from the tubing, but some how I can't remove them, maybe becouse there are 2 reservoirs? I'll get some high res pictures soon when everything is cleaned up.

Once again, thank you for all the comments!
    ~Bladesingerz

Tags: