1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning dive off the deep end:xtreme water cooled build. solidworks question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by siliconfanatic, 10 Sep 2012.

?

what will the "core" be?

1. CPU

33.3%
  2. Power suppl(y)(ies)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. chromed box"leaking light(radiation)

55.6%
  4. video cards.

22.2%
  5. other(please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

deleted by me

Last edited: 28 Sep 2012
  2. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I read the thread thanks, was suggesting you use a case and mod it instead of a scratch build.

Why someone would think they could get sponsored for their first project I have no idea

3. siliconfanatic

now i know!:lol:

i COULD do that actually.... gonna have to contact my uncle and see if he still hase that nzxt phantom case laying around... and any other junk i could cannibalize... this is sure as heck gonna be resourcful:D... time to search house...

ANYway, thanks for the tip... hadnt thought of modding(very heavily) a phantom... might have to fork over a little dough tho... or mow their lawn... gonna hve to learn to utilize my grandfathers expertise with a dremel for once in my life(as i said, model rc plane enthusiast) and put it to dman good use.. in yet another note, seing as the vid card for sw rig is still shipping, i have gotten myself a good 20 sheets of double-sided isometric graph paper... hopfully i will be able to put my ideas to paper and pencil once i get past this MOUNTAIN of homework:grr:

Last edited: 28 Sep 2012
  4. siliconfanatic

And a question, what is the typical thickness of a 120mm fan? Im thinking it lies somewhere aroun 20-30mm but im not really certain. i ask this as i am laying out the case for this... gonna need to be incredibly large, compared to what IM used to anyway. if i can get the correct size of things i might be able to shrink it a little. and also: typicle size of ATX mobo? ive only really ever seen sizes below that. id love to get a classified sr-2 but thats a pipe dream at best. but i would like ti to at least support 2-3 sli so its gonna at least be ATX. the actual comp componetes will wait a while after the case is done or nearly done, as those things change alot faster than most components of a case, like i highly doubt theyll come out with some sort of mega steel any time soon. @jamsand; was going to attempt to do a project log once i start shoving orders down ups's throat. can any one say jet turbine theme?:naughty::cooldude:

5. siliconfanatic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yay a pic:clap:, will post more when i get them downsized in paint(camera is at somewhere around 11-13 megapixels.

BTY; sorry about my somewhat rude manners... school has been busy and tensions are really high btween me+ my dad... ill try to answer more politley and consider whats said more carefully as i looked at earlier posts and felt like bit of an a$$.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2012
  6. Owndapwn

Owndapwn What's a Dremel?

No offense taken.
    You did repeat yourself several times, after all.

7. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Any chance you could explain what those pictures are of & how they relate to whatever case you're using? They don't look like anything on their own ( no context )...

8. siliconfanatic

sorry about that... the upper drawing would be the front of the case, or at least the lower part of it. the circle is a 200mm fan. then there is a good 120 mm on either side of that. the other shapes labeled mesh are holes for smaller, 80mm fans... however i have rethunk this layout and have come up with a slightly less volume consuming layout. once i have gotten to redraw it i will post the new pics, this time with a top view and lables for clarification... and(hopefully) i will be able to scan the pictures this time rather than use my camera.:)

EDIT: does anyone know how to control multiple(like around 8 or so) 120mm 12v case fans using arduino and power it with the psu? i have been looking around but ive only seen them control 2 40mm fans Or be powered with an external psu. this may be powering high strength servos or motors. if i need to i can get a separate arduino for servos and motors... i was also going to program it to use a tinkerkit light sensor to turn leds on or off depending on temps and ambiant light. as i if its daytime, all leds are off. at night they are on, but with different colored ones depending on temps. the board would also vary the pump speed with temps but i dont think pumps are much different than fans with controls.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2012
  9. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

10. siliconfanatic

if i can sense temps and adjust speed to that then good. but fans arent the only thing i will be controlling. high power servos, leds, motors are among what will be controlled according to conditions.

11. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

They will need an andrino but it would let you keep them separate for simplicities sake. Have vely little knowledge of servo's ect so can't help there sorry

12. siliconfanatic

thanks anyways. help is greatly appreciated.

13. siliconfanatic

peltier

i was reading about peltiers today, and i am wondering, what size, cooling power and mouting method would be best to cool an over clocked ivy bridge quad-core cpu? i was going to water cool the hot side of the unit. i need toknow power draw at the least to know what psu to get. im going for below ambient(maybe even below zeroif i can get some liquid tape;) )

Last edited: 14 Oct 2012
  14. jay2

jay2 Indonesian Modder

read http://www.tecpeltier.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19
    best for basic knowledge of peltiering :thumb::D

Build a dummy scratch build PC case from cardboard would be a great help for you.

siliconfanatic likes this.
  15. siliconfanatic

16. siliconfanatic

I believe i have come up with the "theme" for this monster... COLD fusion/sr-71 jet themed... Upper half will be the cold fusion:geek:(iow; sub-zero cpu+ reg water cooling..) while the bottom "sr-71":baby: Half will hold all the radiators of the build. I do however need ideas on what the "nuclear core" should be.

EDIT:question moved to hardware section as this forum always seems quieter, and its more appropriate for that section.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2012
  17. siliconfanatic

Last edited: 26 Oct 2012
  18. siliconfanatic

bump it up!

19. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

it can be done it alrady exists on the market such as the apogee drive II or even the corsair H series so go for it remember you've need pins inside your waterblock for good contact but not so many as to make it too restrictive.

20. siliconfanatic

the pins will acually be nonexistant, as the impeller(s) will be the heatsink. they will be very thin, maybe 1mm to 1.5mm, and there will be many of them, but not to many of them, as you suggested. this is only the first version, the final ones will be in solidworks to help communicate my idea better than paper possibly can. will upload the mk2 pics tommorrow

Last edited: 26 Oct 2012