1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress DIY Projector box [SIXTH UPDATE - Electronic bits and bobs arrived!]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Picarro, 24 Feb 2012.

1. TheSly

TheSly What's a Dremel?

Hey Picarro,
    Thanks for posting your progress on this cool project. I signed up just to ask you a few questions about it. Considering it was from back in Feb I assume you've now finished it?

I'm actually in the process of doing the same thing to a projector I have, but need some assistance in regards to the wiring. Considering you never completed the thread, could you either post what you did to get it all working, or even contact me to answer a few questions?

Thanks again.

2. TheSly

TheSly What's a Dremel?

Well since I had no response to my question, I've gone out and discovered a method to achieve this. The attached image shows how I've connected a fan to a power supply and to a 3.5mm which is connected to the trigger of a projector, in my case a Panasonic AE7000. Before this the fan will turn on when connected to the trigger, but it only runs for 10secs or so, as the projector is sending a signal only. You need the relay and a power supply to make it run for longer.

All that I needed to purchase is a 3.5mm stereo plug, a 12v fan (in my case I had 2 - an intake and exhaust fans), a relay, some thin 2 core cable and a power supply (I just used a 1.5A 5w power supply with adapters so I could make it all modular).

Wire it up as the diagram shows, and then attach the 3.5mm to the projector. Ensure you leave the external power supply turned on all the time. In the projector trigger settings, enable the output option for the trigger you've plugged into. Now when you turn the projector on the fan will start and continue to run until the projector turns off.

I had trouble finding a solution to this online, so hope this helps someone.

[​IMG]