1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Do these offend you?

Discussion in 'General' started by Harlequin, 2 Oct 2012.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea I don't get what the point is. I'm sure women do without there needing a day to mark it.

Likewise then, is there a commando day for guys? I guess a 'flop out after forgetting to zip up' is not as sexy to get people behind it.

2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Personnelly It doesn't bother me, I can see it being disproved of by my parents if it was on tv tho.

3. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

So we're all gearing up for the 2013 National Game of Cock or Bollock then...?

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Moving to GD for now, as there still is a lack of clarity on what debating point is being made.

5. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

totally confused at the special day as i'm not wearing any panties today, it is actually healthy not to.

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I have no problem with the pictures, but like the others I fail to see where this is going.

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Eh? I don't even understand the question... Why on earth would I be upset with A) any photo and B) a photo of a girl with apparently no pants...

It takes a professional "I'm offended by everything"-person to really get winded up by that.

8. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Or a person who has a problem with the objectification of women.

Not a fan at all of it. I see it as "if we don't want our kids acting like this, stop saying it's acceptable to put ads like this up." As I don't want my kids to act this way, I don't support advertisements like that. Sex might sell, but it also objectifies. I thought we were trying to move to a more equal society. This is not a move to a more equal society.

9. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Finally someone on my wavelength. This is kind of what I have been thinking. I have my parent hat on now, not my teenager hat on as I am no longer a teenager.

And no I'm not a professional offended by everything type. As I keep saying I'm not offended but I do disapprove.

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

No I don't get offended.

I doubt it's very serious, just a bit of light hearted fun, if some people want to take part that's cool, and if they don't fair enough.

11. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

haha

Something goes up while the bills come down!

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm pretty much on the same page as these guys as well, except that instead of looking at it from a parent's point of view, I look at it from the point of view that this is the sort of thing that my kids would/will/might be exposed to growing up. It's bad enough now, I dread to think how many more bad influences there will be by the time I have kids. I don't have a problem with what Nexxo was describing RE: swimming in the same lake as topless girls etc because after all, it's the human body and it's simply a case that the Netherlands has a different culture - you probably wouldn't find yourself in that situation anywhere in the UK. I do think Western Society has become very uptight about such things though. Breastfeeding in public, for example, is something that I don't think anyone should have a problem with and frankly, topless swimming is in the same ballpark. I still don't think there's any need to make a whole song and dance about it with an official "no panty day" or any other "no *insert any other item of clothing here* day" though.

Walking down a public street wearing a "barely there" dress and no panties is a different matter entirely, though. There's a time and a place where it's acceptable, and plenty of times and places where it's inappropriate. For example; Mrs Orr, our new Primary 4 teacher in school who is only a year older than myself, wouldn't get away with coming to work dressed like that. And no matter if it is or isn't acceptable or inappropriate, it's still wrong to shove it in people's faces with ads etc containing such content.

[edit]

Just so we're all on the same page, I'm talking about an outfit like the one in the second image of the OP. If a girl wearing trousers doesn't particularly want to wear underwear with them, who am I to argue? I'm strictly talking about girls wearing a dress that puts the fact they're not wearing underwear on show.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2012
  13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

More or less in the same "not offended, but don't approve" boat here. My problem is, similar to others, that there seems to be no point other than announcing "look, we've not got panties!".

Hippoz's long lost relative! :D

You can blame people like me for this not happening. My neighbors already look at me odd enough when I get the mail in a bath robe, trying to go a whole day in public would result in riots and chaos.

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

ok seems i missed this being moved - so the `why`

a good friend posted those images to a group on facebook - the images were sent out as a blanket pm (to about 500 people) ; as you might be aware when a group is large enough the pm acts as a bcc type email , the names of all the group are no longer shown.... and apparantly someone in the goup (a 16 year old girl) got offended and reported him to the police.

of which he then had a visit; now the police arnt interested other than a ` bit silly thing to do` but apparantly he`s a volunteer for a national group involved with young people and they are taking a dim view...

now that is why it was posted in serious and not general.

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Well if he's older than her, then I can see why she may have had an issue with it, although if they knew each other then why didn't she just ask him about it?

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

nice ass

that was my contribution to this thread

17. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

what is the context that the images were send out with.
    If it was "Wahoo I can't wait till this day!" Then I can appreciate the dim view. If on the other hand it was "Have you seen this, I heartily disapprove, what can we do to combat such an event" Then I'm not so sure.
    From an outside point of view though it kind of breaks down like this. Young person complains about adult, adult visited by police over allegation. Group he volunteers for are in essence right to take a dim view. I would like to think that common sense will prevail.
    This is a bit like people getting visited by the old bill for comments on Twitter and such. Anonymity does not make it OK. I try to imagine that the internet is a real person, and I will not put things on there that I am not happy to say, or show to a real person.

I hope your friend gets this resolved quickly and things get back to normal, and maybe he will be a bit more careful of what he posts and to whom, accidentally, inadvertently or intentionally. I left Facebook again today because I just don't trust it.

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

So I'm gathering he's an adult who works with kids and sent out a picture advertising no panty day to these kids?

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

no , he sent out the pictures to a group of 500 people on facebook - and it would seem that at least 1 of those 500 was a 16 year old girl...

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Spamming 500 people with something that some people could find offensive was ... Ill advised. As above i'm sure common sense will prevail, he'll get a rap on the knuckles and the world will continue to revolve.