1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Due Date of Work Unit

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Bonzo45, 20 Sep 2010.

1. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Hey All,

I just downloaded the SMP client to fold on my main PC (in sig), and everything's working fine. However it has taken 2 hours to complete 1% of a WU, which is due in 6 days. Even if I leave my PC on 24 hours a day (which I can't) I won't be able to complete this unit in time. What can I do to get units which require less processing time?

I'm sure I could complete work units with the SMP client before without leaving my PC on 24/7 and not using it...

Cheers,
    Sam

2. zodac

zodac What's a Dremel?

A Q6600 should not be taking 2hrs to complete 1%. Even my Pentium D at stock only takes 45 mins. What's the CPU usage of FahCore_a3.exe in Task Manager?

3. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Are you sure you're not running the single core client instead of the smp client - check that you have the '-smp' flag in use ..... the smp client won't run without it. If in doubt, check the SMP Guide

4. Dave_Goodchild

Dave_Goodchild Another CPC refugee

Yeah seems like that, as a comparison my Q6600 (overclocked to 3.6Ghz) seems to complete 1% every 8mins so somthing isn't right.

5. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

The whole CPU is being used, but about 25% is being used for the GPU Client that I'm also running.

EDIT: I'm running with SMP Enabled

I just ran the client again and it seemed to get to 2% quicker. (from 6416 steps to 10,000 steps out of 500,000 in 7 minutes) //GPU Client Paused at the moment

Last edited: 21 Sep 2010
  6. SpeckleD

SpeckleD What's a Dremel?

I found my ETA took a nose dive when folding with the GPU client also, I had a QX9650 at 3.8Ghz at the time.

7. zodac

zodac What's a Dremel?

Yeah, ATi GPUs will cripple SMP PPD unless the affinities are sorted. You can take a look at thsi guide and see if it helps:
    http://www.overclock.net/folding-home-guides-tutorials/718219-windows-7-use-winafc-improve-ppd.html

Try that guide and check the PPD, then try just running the SMP client alone. If the PPD is similar, go with CPU only (less power consumption. ;)

Bonzo45 likes this.
  8. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Right, yeah - running the GPU client really slows the CPU client! Will check out that guide and see what happens...