1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development Embedding font in web page

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dad, 11 Oct 2005.

1. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Yea, I know, I know... Embeded fonts = bad... It's not my idea, it's upper management's idea.

I need to vreate some pages on the Intranet using GillSans Light - a commercial True Type font. We have license to install it on any pc, but since we have 1500+, I really don't want to go around installing it. Is there a way to embed this font within a web page? The Microsoft Weft tool will not allow me to do so.

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

If the font doesn't have the required permission I think you're snookered. Find a different version? It's common enough, I think it's on the CorelDraw CD (&/or Humanist 521 is allegedly the same font).

Does the Mozilla-browsers tool work?

3. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Acording to the properties of GILLSL__.TTF, the "embeddability for this font" is "Installable embedding allowed". However, when I try and use the Weft tool, it won't let me embed it..

Humanist 520 seems to be the same thing, but it's a commercial font..

Mozilla browsers tool?

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I'm not sure of the current situation (ie, Firefox) but NS uses a different system (TrueDoc) to IE/Weft that's supposed to work in both browsers.

http://www.ssi-developer.net/design/embed-font.shtml

There doesn't seem to have been much progress in the field in the time since NS was a significant player. :confused:
    Yeah, now I look, MS only supply a subset of Gill Sans with Office (and not GS Light), same with Corel's Humanist range.

Will Harris (not the Mr Haz ;)) advocates Flash for font embedding...

Last edited: 13 Oct 2005
  5. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

Ah screw it - too much work. I've found that Lucida Sans Unicode and Microsoft Sans Serif are very similar and are default Windows fonts so I'm using those ;)