England smoke ban to start 1 July

Discussion in 'Serious' started by acron^, 1 Dec 2006.

1. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It's a matter of choice, if I owned a pub I should be allowed to decide if people can smoke in it or not. You don't like smoke? Drink somewhere else.

If nobody likes it I go out of buisiness, if people come in and enjoy a few beers and cigarettes it's no skin off your nose.

2. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

50 million doesnt go as far as you might think you you think how many people it has to go to, and how much it costs for someone to be helped stop smoking.

Living in scotland I can tell you in advance that pubs arent smell from BO :) There places I can go and not get smelly and have a drink with my friends and still wear the same trousers the next day, because they dont stink of smoke. My lungs are probalbly benefitting already - its generally good :) Ive seen no bad side effects, the unions are just as full as ever as are most pubs I see.

Wales got it first because england doesnt want to trial something on the main %age of voters ;)

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I do actually only go to pubs that are completely non smoking. It was more in refference to clubs from my part. I used to work behind the bar and despised the fact that I came home stinking of cigaretts. Infact all the bar staff did, even if they smoked themselves, that is going some.

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Why do you think that matters, or that anyone cares? People go to bars and clubs to have a good time, not to please the barstaff. You don't work down a coalmine and then complain when you get a cough or some soot on your face now, do you?

edit: missed this post

This simply isn't true, many people smoke because they enjoy it. They're generally called social smokers, and for the vast majority of them addiction has nothing to do with their choice to smoke.

Here, you seem to be trying to make out that all people who smoke are addicts and no-one who drinks is an addict. Be realistic! Plenty of people are addicted to both cigs and booze, and while far more people are addicted to cigs I grant you, an alcohol addiction will have far more negative effects on society(just ask ambulence personal, and hospital staff which does them more damage, smokers, or violent drunks).

To be honest, it seems to me like you're just being a bit facist here. You don't like something, so it should be banned, and your standpoint should be forced on everyone, even people in totaly consensual situations(like private members clubs).

Last edited: 1 Dec 2006
  5. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

we personally have had a smoking ban where i live. and let me say it is a good thing. I personally find smoking in public places rude, offensive and really takes down the atmospohere at those places.

6. Mother-Goose

so, as a non-smoker you dont mind going out, breathing other peoples smoke and coming back smelling like a sack of ****?

EDIT:
    Sorry that was a typo, i meant fatty stuff, my mistake

They are enjoying the nicotine not the smoke :rolleyes:

It only directly effects the health of the drinker.

I think something that increases my chances of getting lung cancer becuase someone else choses to smoke is utterly unacceptable and should be banned.

I do not like rap music or hip-hop, but I don't think it should be banned. It brings others pleasure with out affecting their health (or mine). :eyebrow:

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Do I mind breathing some smoke? No, not more then I mind breathing exhaust fumes when I'm walking down the street, which is basicly not at all. As for the "smelling like a sack of ****" thing, perhaps I just go to better ventilated bars then you, but I don't tend that a problem. Maybe I just wash my clothes more often then you normally anyway.

I mind much more the people who try to start fights with me or my friends when I walk out of a pub or club just because it's friday night, they're NEDs, and they want to hit something.

And editing in response:

Right, which is why you can go to a shop and buy 40 different kinds of tobacco all with different smells and tastes. Even if they are, so what? The majority of the UK's youth seem to drink more for the effects of alcohol than the taste, so what's wrong with people doing the same for cigarettes?

Are you kidding? What about the families it ruins, the people who die from being run over, the countless thousands of pounds that could be spent on the really poor and needy being rerouted to the increasingly neccesary ambulance and police callouts, the alcohol clinics, the hospital security? The same doesn't apply to smokers, thankfully, they pay over 80 times what they cost, I doubt the same is true of alcohol given the level of disorder we see in any major city centre on friday and saturday nights.

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

You should report the guy who forced you into that club...

oh, wait :rolleyes:

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I like working in bars, the smokey atmosphere shouldn't affect bar staff massively as a good bar will have air con and a smoking ban at the bar anyway for health and safety reasons.

I don't really notice smoking when I go out either.

I may be slightly prejudiced, but I would be strongly against dating someone who smokes (its mucked me up in the past, but I think I'm better for it).

Though what I enjoy doing, is asking people why they smoke. Try it, its fun

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Situation of Old

- Bars have the choice to be smoking or non-smoking
    - Bars go smoking because they get more cash
    - Non-Smokers, if they want a drink, have no choice but to be poisoned by smoke. Even if you did drink outside in the cold, you still have to be smothered by smoke getting to the bar.

Situation Now

- Bars have no choice
    - Smokers go outside to smoke, but they want a drink so still goto the bar - only they smell of smoke.
    - Non Smokers are happy as they dont smell.

As far as im concerned if people wanna hurt themselfs via ciggarettes thats fine, but they can be the ones standing out in the cold while I enjoy my brew inside, where its warm and smoke free.

11. Mother-Goose

I'll settle for that :)

12. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

As I mentioned before that is fine by me, however, how can one ever justify forcing PRIVATE MEMBER CLUBS to ban smoking?!!!
    As a member, one would have to sign a contract, hence would be accepting the fact that there is Cancer Inisde (tm) - as would anyone working as again, there would be a contract. I'm all for banning smoking in eating areas, in pubs & clubs there should be well ventilated, designated smoking areas, private members clubs should do what they choose to do.
    Oh and before anyone says "designated smoking areas don't work because your smoker friends will always be there hence you would have to be as well" can stfu because all the friends I know respect the fact that some of us don't smoke, and always go elsewhere to light up, & then return. If your friends don't, then stop going out with them, they will eventually change ;)

13. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

seconded

alothough this seems to be quite a heated topic, i really am glad this is being enforced. people who want to poison other people aswell as themselves, then they can go do it in each others presence in designated areas, and choke on their cancer canes, rather than in the presence of everyone selse. i personally cant stand the smell of cigarettes, and the argument
    "go to another pub" doesn't really count because i havent seen any, anywhere, ever.

14. JCG

JCG What's a Dremel?

One I always wondered, there are masses of people complaining about smoking in pubs etc. It seems like there would be a pretty big market for smoke free pubs and clubs. Yet I never seen a no smoking pub being opened in country where smoking is allowed in pubs and clubs.

As for me, I couldn't care less. It's been a long while sice I've been in a club or pub. Some times I go to a coffeeshop (and I don't mean starbucks :thumb: ) and banning smoking from that would be like ban drinking in a pub.

15. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Actually the ban on smoking extends to coffee shops as well - it's every single workplace.

16. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

yep. no more smoking in cafe nero! woohoo, cant beat an american in the morning

17. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

You were bullied by the kids that smoked at school, weren't you. :)

That's the silliest thing I've read since I woke up this morning. Plenty of people smoke who aren't addicted - they enjoy the taste / nicotine.

18. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

And what has that got to do with The Smoking ban? :rolleyes:

19. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

:confused:

Smoking is foul and shouldn't be allowed anywhere in public. End of story.

Non smoking areas are like non pissing areas in a swimming pool, you're going to feel that warm sensation sooner or later. The only way to deal with smokers is to slap them very hard... ideally with a good solid willow cricket bat :D

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm in favour of the ban 100% - one of my friends who used to work in a bar was classed as a medium to heavy smoker having never smoked a cigarette in his life. Society should be free to work wherever they want without having to be poisoned by what is essentially a disgusting habit.

My grand parents were heavy smokers and I used to hate going to visit, because I'd come away coughing and smelling like an ash tray.

Possibly my only concern is what is going to happen to the funds the government gets from cigarette sales, given that I'm expecting cigarette sales to drop somewhat... :blah: