1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Evolution

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Editor22, 19 Jan 2010.

1. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

-> The_Beast - Thanks dude Its still a bit of a love/hate thing now :(

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Are the loud?

3. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Nope there pretty silent as far as I can tell but have not been able to do any stress tests yet. The main thing I'm not sure about is the aesthetics of them :( guess I should carry on and see how they look once its more completed :eyebrow:

4. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Well its been a few weeks and if I'm honest this is going to be a bit of a small update since if had a bad case of the man flu and haven't really felt like doing much. I did how ever manage to bring the case inside and plonk it on my desk in the hope of getting some ideas.

Ok here we go... first off I scrapped the mini grommets in favour of some chunky hard rubber tap washers. Also tapped the hard drive to M4 which seems to have fixed the slight lean the drive was getting. Still need to put some washers between the plate and the drive but noes I've run out of M4 x 12mm hex caps :(

[​IMG]

Got the left side of the case cut and fitted in place. There is a 1/2" gap in between the side and the internal pump panel where some of the cables run from the top section and down into the bottom.
    You might also spot the CPU block being used, its the Ybris black sun... more on that later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A closer look down between the two panels. and of course the generic foot shot :)

[​IMG]

Using the same method with a step drill and long necked fret saw I made the hole for the pump & led wiring to pass through.

[​IMG]

That's it for now fingers crossed I'll get a fair bit done in the next few weeks, cutting it close to being ready for painting in the summer at this rate lol

p0Pe likes this.
  5. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

looking good :)

6. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

you got a REALLY cool mod going on here man! the design in post 1 is utterly awsome:D

+rep for building it from the ground!

7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

And off we go again :)

Been ages since I managed to get some stuff done but I finally managed to get some build time in the last few days so here is a light update.

Seeing as I'm using the xspc clear pump top I really wanted to show it off by hiding the actual pump so a shroud was in order! I wanted the shroud to be back lit via 2 4" UV cathodes so started off by cutting 2 pieces of 3/4" aluminium channel. Then marked out the hole for the light to come through and using a step drill and long necked fret saw took out the middle. Also added a recess in the end for cable routing from the cathode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Measured out a piece of 3mm fluorescent blue plexi, drilled, tapped and screwed into place to allow some fine sanding of the top and bottom edges.

[​IMG]

Masked off the pump and attached it to the inside panel. I used this as a template aposed to measuring it all up, lazy I know but I got a bit ahead of myself and all impatient.

[​IMG]

Spent the next 2 hours cutting, filing, cutting, sanding, cutting.... you get the idea until I had a pretty tight fit around the pump top. The plexi panel is held in place via 4x m4 bolts with 2x 5mm m4 threaded spacers on each one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with the lights off :)

[​IMG]

Still got some work to do on this part like bending a piece to fit in behind the compression fitting, sticking the vinyl design to the back of the plexi and just general sanding but fancied getting an update in so you all know its not dead :)

Take it easy till next time :rock:

8. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Spent another day in the garage today :) I needed to create a support plate to hold the motherboard tray stable. The plate will join the tray to the reservoir bracket that I made earlier.

Started off by measuring it all up and cutting the first piece out of 2mm aluminium sheet, Then used this as a template for some more of the 3mm blue plexi I'm using.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some filing and sanding it was starting to get a bit shiny :)

[​IMG]

Made a hole for the 24 pin the come through.

[​IMG]

Other than a bit of final sanding this piece is finished. Should look pretty cool once its all lit up with the wires routed through :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. subset7

subset7 Spanking the Monkey

Great work,this is shaping up nicely :thumb:

10. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

Great work, and a interesting project.

11. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Pure sweetness. The pump lighting looks outstanding!

12. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks guys, its really nice to get some feedback been feeling a bit swamped among all these amazing builds people are knocking up at the moment.

13. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I like a good scratch build, and this is no exception, keep up the good work and congrats on your MOTM nomination :thumb:.

14. mrdbristol

mrdbristol Voided my warranty years ago

Getting my vote :thumb:

Looks superb so far, keep it up :D

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Wow thanks, I just got back from A&E after slicing through my finger so this really has made my day so much better :)

16. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

This is going to be supper sweet when it finished!

17. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks Skorchio :)

Well with my buggered finger I haven't been able to get much case work done but I have played about with the camera and Photoshop to recreate the lighting\colours a little better. Also made a template for future pictures to hopefully make the rest of the log much more enjoyable :)

[​IMG]

18. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Im loving the black and blue theme. My favorite color scheme over all. Just a small observation, your pictures are still a little blurry in places. Mod on :thumb:

19. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks even though its been done a gazillion times before I still love blue lighting to :)
    As for the pics, its a case of trying to snap while I work rather than taking time out to get some quality shots :( something I need to work on for the sake of the log I guess.

20. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Everyone loves eye candy :)